airbornninja

New to the sport...and so lost

so after doing a long list other so called extreme sports ive decided its high time i pick skydiving as well. so ive been doing my research and reading up all the info till i can take a class......this is where i get lost. is there a site or book that break downs all the terms and gear? im sure most of it will be explained in the course once i take but till then id like to have something to go off of and learn from.
thanks for any help
One life one chance gota do it right
-H20 (band)

This site is a good start, and you can also check out something called the SIM over at USPA.org. There's a ton of useless crap in there, but also some important stuff.

Here's the catch, be ready to shit-can anything you 'learn' online when you get to an actual DZ and take a FJC (first jump course). Each DZ will use different terms, different gear, and teach things in their own way, and it's important that you follow their program if you're going to jump their plane, with their instructors and using their gear.

Some of things you read might only apply to more experienced jumpers. Some of the things you read might only apply to one brand of rig or canopy. Some things might only apply to one specific situation, and some things might just be flat out wrong (they'll let anybody write anything they want on the internet).

So read up, watch youtube, and look at the pretty pictures, but keep in mind that it's all just 'recreational' study, and may or may not have anything to do with your actual jump. Truth is, you don't 'need' any of it, the FJC is designed to take a rube off the street who knows nothing about skydiving and train them to make a jump. Some of us (most likely including some of the instructors you'll be jumping with) started jumping before the internet was useful for much of anything, and we all turned out fine.

hey thanks for the info. i thought that would be the case but i just wanted to get any idea so i know what everyone on here was talking about. i look forward to jumping....

:D:D
What Dave mentioned is that some of those in here have no freakin' clue what they are talking about.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

http://skydiveschool.org/

But, as stated earlier, be prepared to shit-can all of this for what YOUR dz/instructors teach you.;)

PLF's are even a little different on this side of the fence! :S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

But, as stated earlier, be prepared to shit-can all of this for what YOUR dz/instructors teach you.;)

To go along with that, take note, too that the equipment shown in that link may be different than what you actually get to use.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

PLF's are even a little different on this side of the fence! :S

No, they're not.
Take a look at the PLF training segment in the skydive school url posted.
We're just used to the abbreviated "Get some kind of decent roll one time on the mat, in the hangar, everyone golf clap, next TLO."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.