Bodhisattva420

Pulling low . . .

Honestly I don't know if there has been an increase in AAD-assisted deployments in the past couple of years, I don't know if statistics like that are available. If there has been an increase of say 15% in the last 2-3 years I'd have to call it an anomaly, I don't think much has changed in only 2-3 years. If lengthy deployments are causing more AAD fires it should show up over a much longer period. Intuitively I'd say today's average canopy opens slower than the average 10-15 years ago but again I don't believe that there's any hard data to back that up.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Do you feel there hasn't been an increase in the number of AAD-assisted deployments in the past couple of years?

No. When AAD's became popular in the 90's there were a higher rate of fires than there are today, IMO.

The higher number of AAD fires is due IMO to:
1. More people jumping
2. More people jumping AAD's
3. Slower opening canopies.
4. The internet lets us know the day it happens. It use to take WEEKS for a fatality to get around and smaller events never got around or it took a lot longer.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Sandy Wambach went in on the 300 ways in Chicago after a freefall collision knocked her out. That made me get one.

Reminds me of the run on Cypreses after Tom Piras went in Panama after a freefall/canopy collision.

I always say, Tommy may not have been wearing a helmet, but at least his free Airtec sponsored Cypres was turned off.

While waiting for the load, he demonstrated turning it on, then said "it's only a four way" and turned it off.

Looking around at the experience level of the others in the group on the way to altitude, he said "maybe I should have left it on."

Sandy Wambach went in on the 300 ways in Chicago after a freefall collision knocked her out. That made me get one.

Reminds me of the run on Cypreses after Tom Piras went in Panama after a freefall/canopy collision.

I always say, Tommy may not have been wearing a helmet, but at least his free Airtec sponsored Cypres was turned off.

While waiting for the load, he demonstrated turning it on, then said "it's only a four way" and turned it off.

Looking around at the experience level of the others in the group on the way to altitude, he said "maybe I should have left it on."

Wow. Didn't know that. Very telling.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX