rsmn17

Increasing flare strength

Does anybody know some good arm exersises to increase my arm strength for flaring? I've had some pretty hard landings and asked my instructor about shortening my brake lines but that's not the problem because I can definatly get them down all the way....my last two jumps I FINALLY landed softly! But an instructor said it looked like I was really struggling to get the toggles all the way down. I have weights at home but I don't think that's going to work the right muscles in my arms because I'd be lifting instead of pulling and I had to quit the gym I was at because all my money goes to skydiving!! Any suggestions?

From shoulder height and down you are basically using your triceps (just in case you do not know what that is it is the muscle on the back side of your upper arm). A few things you can do at home take two chairs face the seats towards each other. As far a space between them that will be determined by your size. You want to put your feet on one edge of one and just have the very edge of you butt on the other you then use your arms holding on to the chair and lift yourself up. You then lower your butt to the ground with your triceps and lift yourself back up. Another one would be close grip push ups. Get into a standard push up position except have your arms just a bit lower then your chest and only set apart as wide as your torso. You will lower yourself down keeping your arms tight against your torso and back up.
Kirk

In addition to some of the exercises listed above, be sure to keep your arms close to your body when flaring. This will give you some additional leverage on the toggles.

For the first half of your flare, bring your toggles down and in toward your chest, once they are at chest level, you can rotate your hands so the plams are facing down, and now you can push down on the toggles to help you finish the flare.

Dips will improve your strength. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ridgely8.htm

You don't have to goto the gym. Some DZ's have their own gym equipment or... Red Bull sponsors drop off these really nice aluminum, circular, bar height tables. Put two of them close to each other and challenge some friends; see who can do the most dips.;)

Timing of the flare may also be an issue. If you have been able to get good landings you have the strength.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

In addition to some of the exercises listed above, be sure to keep your arms close to your body when flaring. This will give you some additional leverage on the toggles.

For the first half of your flare, bring your toggles down and in toward your chest, once they are at chest level, you can rotate your hands so the plams are facing down, and now you can push down on the toggles to help you finish the flare.

this is exactly what my AFF instructor told/taught me. it works!!! and i'm only 99 pounds flying a canopy bigger than most log cabins!!!

Not to mention keeping your hands in front of you where you're less likely to reach to one side or the other (or possibly behind) during your flare.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Good advice by Dave, it works pretty well for students I have worked with that have similar issues. I am not suggesting that you not practice flare or practice canopy maneuvers but remember that the more you use your arms under canopy the more they will be worn and tired when it comes to flare time. Another point that I wouldn’t have thought of until I experienced it with a student, don’t work out really hard the morning of or the day before skydiving, give you muscles a couple days to heal because your arms might be to sore to perform.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…