ShadowPenguin

Starting out question..

When you first started jumping, did you avoid reading about incidents...specifially fatalities? If so, for the more seasoned jumpers, do you regret doing/not doing it? I definetly recognize the benefit of paying attention to and learning from other peoples unfortunatly fatal mistakes, I have been reading a lot of the entries in the incidents forum from a safety/learning standpoint, would you recommend a newbie such as myself avoid doing that too much?

it's definetly waking me up to my own mortality, but it's not really pushing me away from diving again if anything else I find myself still totally excited to jump again.

thanks for any words of wisdom.

It's the reality of what we do. If it scares you away before you get hooked, maybe it was for the best. Personally, I read all I can about incidents. I even read all of the old threads in the incidents forums, because that information may save my life someday.

Read Read and then Read some more. On every aspect of the sport or any other activity you partake in. But that is just me and I am almost as big a newbie as you are. But I have read every incident post I can find and as much technical data on the sport that my little mind can hold. As a result I find myself more prepared and more knowledgeable than any of the other students in my briefings. But just remember one thing, no matter how much you read and think you know, never let that overcome you ability to listen to your instructor and take in what he tells you as being more important than anything you have read.

Do read the incidents and try to learn the lessons. There are relatively few "did everything right and still died" incidents. Most fatalities and serious injuries are the result of pilot error from which we can all learn lessons (even if it's the same lesson).

You should also ask yourself whether you can (or think you can) make correct decisions in times of high stress.

Do read the incidents and try to learn the lessons. There are relatively few "did everything right and still died" incidents. Most fatalities and serious injuries are the result of pilot error from which we can all learn lessons (even if it's the same lesson).

You should also ask yourself whether you can (or think you can) make correct decisions in times of high stress.

thats one of the things i pride myself on, gaining focus in high pressure situations....granted i've never run into any 5000ft up in the air, but I wouldnt even consider jumping again if i thought i couldnt do it.

btw...my first jump was at Maytown on Saturday, i wish i could remember my jump masters name, real cool guy, older, grayish beard. Amy was my friends jumpmaster.

I think having the information current in your mind (i.e. you thought about the situation recently) will help with decision making in situations of high stress (i.e. a malfunction).

i wish i could remember my jump masters name,

Come on man, you should pay attention to everything he says, including "hey my name is___"

Get to know him, he may just save your life on day

i plan on it, but did you remember everyones name you met your first time jumping out of an airplane? i was more intent on hanging on every word about how to stay safe and in all the excitement first names kinda got away from me.

i wish i could remember my jump masters name,

Come on man, you should pay attention to everything he says, including "hey my name is___"

Get to know him, he may just save your life on day

i plan on it, but did you remember everyones name you met your first time jumping out of an airplane? i was more intent on hanging on every word about how to stay safe and in all the excitement first names kinda got away from me.

Yes I did remember my jump master's name, even if no one elses. But I was just giving you a hard time anyway. You should however make an atempt to get to know him and the other instructors at your DZ. I don't think anyone, especially an instructor, in this sport would hold back info, but those you know well seem to give it out more freely and more thouroughly. Make an atempt to let them know that you want that extra bit of info

I started reading about incidents in AFF, I always keep up on them... It does make you face the reality of what can happen to you in this sport, but I think it's important that jumpers understand that reality.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

You should however make an atempt to get to know him and the other instructors at your DZ. I don't think anyone, especially an instructor, in this sport would hold back info, but those you know well seem to give it out more freely and more thouroughly. Make an atempt to let them know that you want that extra bit of info

definetly, thanks everyone for the advice. :)

When you first started jumping, did you avoid reading about incidents...specifially fatalities? If so, for the more seasoned jumpers, do you regret doing/not doing it? I definetly recognize the benefit of paying attention to and learning from other peoples unfortunatly fatal mistakes, I have been reading a lot of the entries in the incidents forum from a safety/learning standpoint, would you recommend a newbie such as myself avoid doing that too much?

it's definetly waking me up to my own mortality, but it's not really pushing me away from diving again if anything else I find myself still totally excited to jump again.

thanks for any words of wisdom.

i read a lot when i first started jumping, and the bazillions of details were daunting, to say the least. it never scared me away from this incredible passion. what it did was make my 4 cutaways easy to deal with. (i'll admit, the first one was a little hectic...)

my worries began during 2 months off after a broken leg from a bad high altitude landing. i wasn't concerned about landing at all; but the time off made me think about all of the dangerous shit i did as a 600 jump wonder.

those 1st several hundred jumps were filled with the confidence that "everything always goes right". i took so many chances jumping with unpredictable jumpers who could easily have killed me, or someone close to me. i pulled very low, very frequently, and attempted sitflying without instruction... sliding right down the flight line without knowing it, and the list goes on... i just couldn't shake the fear that i would return to the sport under the same condition.

when i did finally return, i went the opposite direction. i am overly timid, i rarely jump big ways unless i know EVERYONE and their predictability, and i breakoff at 5500 to allow tons of separation. i'm considered "too safe" at my dz, but i can still jump with anyone i please, and am always invited on belly jumps, freefly, hybrids, and anything else i feel comfortable with.

bottom line, imho, don't ever get complacent about this sport. learn as much as you can. i still learn something on every jump. (pushing 1100 jumps now) about myself, about the dymanics of group skydives, gear, the list is endless.

never think you know enough to be immune to mr. murphy. knowledge is power. it will keep you from joining stupid situations, and it will save your life when you need it most.

i definitely don't feel that it is ever too early to learn, as long as you keep your focus on the basics (whatever current instruction you might be in), until this knowledge becomes useful.

I hate getting on this site and seeing "xx New" in the Incidents Forum, but I make myself read them so I hope that I can learn something from what has happenend. It really makes you realise that sh!t can & will happen in this sport, you just have to be prepared for it and know how to deal with it.

As it has been said, many accidents are pilot error, keep that in mind next time you want to do something a little "crazy" (read: not smart).

Play Safe ;)
Scotty

Cheers,
Jason.

When I was around 50 to 150 jumps, reading the incidents on dropzone.com would sometimes freak me out or make me sick.

After I got some more jumps I didn't care like that anymore. Now I'm like everyone else, although I also count the fatalities; if we get to Friday without two new U.S. fatalities I call it a good week. I'm also happy when I see incidents where someone didn't get hurt as badly as they could have.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Theres someone on here (cant remember his user name) he has a website that list US and non US fatalities since 1995... the who what when where and how to avoid if it is avoidable. I have read his page several times. And Im a student. However I read nothing, and knew nothing for my first tandem.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this