rss_v

How can I fix these problems in my jumping? (AFF)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To

This is why I asked. All too often students are told "relax!" with no explanation on what that really means.
And it means different things to different people.

It does indeed take some explanation. For example, that one can relax too much too. Lower legs bouncing in and out randomly in the air stream, strange body positions on a tumbled exit, etc. One has to apply some muscle power to attain and hold the desired body position (arch and all that), yet still not be rigidly stiff.

So shouting at a student like a drill sergeant to RELAX!! isn't correct?

Relax could just mean the most simplest of things like STOP HOLDING YOUR BREATH.
Very easy to say but in a stressful environment not the easiest thing to do,maybe just try and smile about something nice and this may help you relax.
Difficult to arch when you hold your breath really easy when you aren't.
Best of luck .
Steve
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

Can you book time without using it all at once? If so, buy what you can afford. Even if you don't need it for AFF there will be other things you want to work on afterwards.

Don't do a lot of time on your first visit as you'll lose concentration and stop learning.You can get a lot of learning out of 10 minutes tunnel time.
Anne

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

If anyone is still reading this thread - how long do you think I need in the tunnel? To give you more info, I have passed level 4 (just about) previously. The tunnel is cheaper than jumping but still "expensive" so though I'm sure every extra minute helps, basically what I want is just enough to get me through my AFF with no more rejumps. Are we talking about 10 minutes, 20, 30, more?

It's cheaper per minute the more I book, of course, so if I go for less and end up needing more, I pay more than I would have if I bought it all at once. You know how it works.

What do you reckon?

Thanks

...until you become relatively stable on the belly and you feel fairly comfortable in the tunnel.

I saw some people get it after 4-6 mins... some others it takes 20 mins. some others more...

irregardless, its just a lot helpful because you can "second-guess" your position in the tunnel whereas its much harder to do so in a real skydive.

imo, 10 minutes helps a lot, but don't stab yourself if ever it didn't work out as planned during these 10 mins.

OK guys, I've got 30 minutes booked and paid for, next Monday. I went with two 15 minute blocks separated by 2-3 hours so I can chill in between and have a rest. Each 15 minute block is further divided up into individual flights over the course of half an hour or so.

I'm getting a dummy rig, AFF-specific coaching, and possibly a countdown alti!

I'll let you know how it goes.

^ as promised:

First of all I had loads of fun flying in the tunnel, and that's important.

It didn't take me many minutes to get the hang of it and by the end of the day I could basically fly anywhere I wanted - the instructor would touch somewhere on the walls and I had to go over and touch it, then he'd point to somewhere else, and so on. I could move forward and backwards, turn fairly well (left much better than right) and, I have NO idea how I was doing it, but side-slipping as well.

I just kind of willed myself to move sideways and it happened. Very strange.

The weather is shit around here now but I'll get back in the air ASAP, hopefully before I forget it all again!

Some things to bear in mind, AFF students, if you're going to a tunnel:

> Tell the tunnel instructor clearly what you want to work on, and make sure that happens.
> They may use different hand signals to your AFFI - ask your tunnel instructor to use those you're familiar with.
> You can ask the instructor to give you the altimeter signal from time to time to make you look at your wrist and not get too lost in the flying.
> Do lots of practice pulls and stuff like flying with one hand behind your back, so you can stay stable and calm when finding your toggle.

Bear in mind that I haven't taken this experience into freefall yet, but I expect it should help. And don't think about it all too much. The way your instructor (AFF or tunnel) tells you to position or move yourself to acheive a certain results is only very approximate and you need to find the body position that works naturally for you, and then it will just happen really easily.

Good stuff!

but....
"Do lots of practice pulls and stuff like flying with one hand behind your back, so you can stay stable and calm when finding your toggle. "

Toggle?????
:D:D:D

Keep on truckin'!

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Good stuff!

but....
"Do lots of practice pulls and stuff like flying with one hand behind your back, so you can stay stable and calm when finding your toggle. "

Toggle?????

Keep on truckin'!

well what do you call it?!

Good stuff!

but....

Toggle?????

Keep on truckin'!

Pud or hackey, if you are referring to what you are grabbing at the end of your pilot chute, which is what I think you mean.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Good stuff!

but....

Toggle?????

Keep on truckin'!

Pud or hackey, if you are referring to what you are grabbing at the end of your pilot chute, which is what I think you mean.

Mine is usually a piece of plastic like this chap's

http://www.flightgear.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Parachutist-splash.jpg

Good stuff!

but....

Toggle?????

Keep on truckin'!

Generically all of these systems would be referred to as handles. The type you use I've heard called a tube. Not sure if there is another name for it.

Toggles are attached to the risers and are what you use to steer and land. Not in play until the parachute is deployed and out of the bag.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Good stuff!

but....

Toggle?????

Keep on truckin'!

Generically all of these systems would be referred to as handles. The type you use I've heard called a tube. Not sure if there is another name for it.

Toggles are attached to the risers and are what you use to steer and land. Not in play until the parachute is deployed and out of the bag.

good point - we call those toggles as well, or just "brakes".

Good stuff!

but....

Toggle?????

Keep on truckin'!

main deployment handle.

It may be a pud, or a hackey or a monkey fist or a PVC...they are all main deployment handle types.

Here's some pics.
Toggles
Toggles on risers
4 types of main deployment handles.
L-R: PVC, Pud, Monkey Fist, Hackey
(apparently, you are already familiar with the PVC type)

Levels 4 and 5 today went well. These were my 6th and 7th jumps, respectively. The tunnel work helped, I feel, but as I expected my ability as seen in the tunnel really gets cut down ten-fold in the sky. Apparently I was back-sliding a lot, without any frame of reference (my instructor followed me, so I couldn't tell I was moving), but I did good turns and pulled my own chute, first time, both times. Under canopy it was fine as usual, with gentle walking landings.

I'm pleased with it, definitely - hopefully back up there tomorrow, if the weather gods will it.

Next level: dive exit :|

First, congratulations, dont get hung up on a small issue.
Backsliding is very common with new skydivers, just make a thought "think legs" when next jumping and push them back slightly. Was it legs in or arms forward though, maybe both?

Whatever the cause its nothing major at all at this stage of your skydiving. I followed a Tandem out today and had to "think legs"...we all do at times

Good luck with the dive exit on Sunday.

Jon

First, congratulations, dont get hung up on a small issue.
Backsliding is very common with new skydivers, just make a thought "think legs" when next jumping and push them back slightly. Was it legs in or arms forward though, maybe both?

Whatever the cause its nothing major at all at this stage of your skydiving. I followed a Tandem out today and had to "think legs"...we all do at times

Good luck with the dive exit on Sunday.

Jon

Levels 6 and 7 today went without a hitch! The dive exits were fine, not really much different to how I previously exited (crouching side-on in the door). My first one I flopped around for about 7 seconds, then got stable and completed the drills, not a problem. For my level 7 exit I made sure to watch the plane as I fell away from it, and this saw me flip onto my back. I popped an arm across my chest and righted myself easily, then did a backtuck, two 360s, tracking, done by about 8.5k and waited it out, nice and easy deployment.

Another guy was on the same levels as me and they had space for us to do con. 1 half an hour later, so up we went again. A solo dive exit much like the last, but this time I kept the plane securely in view and retaliated to the instructor's thumbs up with two of my own, staying on-heading with the plane as I flattened out. A double back, some turns, some tracking, open by 5.5k with line twists - my first little problem. I twisted out of them in short order and continued on.

Great weekend of jumping, I really enjoyed them all and I'm pleased with how I performed.

Thanks for everyone's help in this thread, hopefully it's useful to other AFF students who might come across it.