Driver1

Start Skydiving???

According to facebook:

Hey everyone He got 18 months of prison and when he is released he has 3 years of probation. Due to his extensive military backround he recieve 6 month decition to his sentence. I thank all of you for your prayers. In the words that dad has said litarelly 10 minutes ago " it's nothing but a thang!"

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20100622/NEWS01/6230372/Businessman-sentenced-for-not-paying-taxes

A Cincinnati businessman was sentenced to 18 months in prison and ordered to pay $679,000 Tuesday for failing to collect employment taxes for three years. John P. Hart II, 49, pleaded guilty to the tax charge in March and was sentenced Tuesday by U.S. District Judge Herman Weber.

Hart was the owner of Selection Management Systems, Inc., a Cincinnati company that conducted employee background checks and provided software that allowed businesses to do background checks.

IRS investigators say Hart failed to withhold $679,000 in Medicare and Social Security taxes from his employees' paychecks. They say Hart used money from his company to pay for his skydiving team's attendance at competitions and to cover membership fees at his country club.

Gee acording to all the kool aid drinkers he already paid back all the money..... maybe the fed's just thought an additional 679K fine on top of the paid back amount was fair..... nothin but a thang though.

also got the love the users comments posted with the story too.

gocincygo41 wrote:

Replying to CBnCinci:I'm curious to know if CBnCinci is related to John Hart...

so- I'm curious- would your position change if the guilt lies with a former employee who has since died, and the accused decided to take the charge personally so that the company could stay in business, thereby avoiding the job loss for his employees, and if the accused has been current on all his personal and corporate tax bills for 4 years and has paid back all the previous taxes?

Well at least now everyone in that region & sport knows the answer to where he was getting all the money he has been throwing around for the last few years. Kind of reminds me of Skydive America's creative financing, I remember that owner and a few klingons joking about "other peoples money" and high five'n about a year before the Fed's busted him, maybe they'll run into each other at the federal country club.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

To try to make people believe that he is going to jail and take the hit for someone that has passed away and is the true "guilty one" in all this, is just crazy talk.

He is pouring some really strong kool aid as you put it. :)
18 months is not enough. When he is gone to jail and the kool-aid wares off, he won't be there to spin his web or pour more kool-aid. There are going to be a lot of people scratching their head wondering how he was able to twist his story for them to believe he is a "good guy" and "patriot".

Stealing from the US Government!...IMO that shows that he is NOT a good guy OR patriot.

What is really sad is all those people that lost all their retirement money and their future is gone, just to benifit him so he can skydive and golf. VERY SAD.

"TREE!" - D.B. Cooper 1971

Well at least now everyone in that region & sport knows the answer to where he was getting all the money he has been throwing around for the last few years. Kind of reminds me of Skydive America's creative financing, I remember that owner and a few klingons joking about "other peoples money" and high five'n about a year before the Fed's busted him, maybe they'll run into each other at the federal country club.

what about skydive america? i have never heard of that. what did they do?

Well at least now everyone in that region & sport knows the answer to where he was getting all the money he has been throwing around for the last few years.

I don't know the guy, never met him, but I do not think this is right. He got convicted for failing to collect taxes, not just not paying them to the IRS, so if I understand the reports of the judgement correctly, he never had the tax money in his pocket to use.
Remster

Well at least now everyone in that region & sport knows the answer to where he was getting all the money he has been throwing around for the last few years.

I don't know the guy, never met him, but I do not think this is right. He got convicted for failing to collect taxes, not just not paying them to the IRS, so if I understand the reports of the judgement correctly, he never had the tax money in his pocket to use.

I understood it to mean he hadn't paid the with holding taxes regarding employees?

If so, that would give ya like 20% more capital to work with regarding the accounts receivable.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

"Hart, a 90 percent shareholder of Selection Management Systems (SMS), pleaded guilty to one count of failure to collect and pay to the IRS Medicare and Social Security taxes from his employees’ paychecks.

According to a statement of the facts included with the plea agreement, Hart failed to withhold and pay approximately $678,644 in taxes from 2004 through 2006."

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2010/03/01/daily52.html

Hart failed to withhold and pay approximately $678,644 in taxes from 2004 through 2006.

That's what I'm basing my understanding on. Withholding AND paying. 2 different acts.

Can some ocean bottom feeding invertebrate, errrrr, I mean Andy or Jerry, care to explain?;)
Remster

The IRS sure likes to get their money down to the last cent. ;) The link is from the article back in March when he pled guilty.

When the IRS starts to collect their money through his assests, his "toys" at the DZ are the first that will go.

The part that just stinks is the employees that lost their money in this whole thing will never see it again. When they hit retirement they will still be broke because of his actions.

How anyone can look in the mirror at the end of the day after doing that is beyond me.

The part that just stinks is the employees that lost their money in this whole thing will never see it again. When they hit retirement they will still be broke because of his actions.

How anyone can look in the mirror at the end of the day after doing that is beyond me.

How did any employees lose money? He did not collect taxes from them so in essence, the employees ended up with more take home pay.

If the government is now trying to collect the money from the employees then that sucks but they really just got use of money that wasn't theirs in the first place that should have been paid to the government. And I'm sure they knew they should be paying taxes on that income.

Their checks showed that all the appropriate taxes were being taken out so their take home was the same.
But on the back side it wasn't beging claimed, so more money would be there to build the DZ and get it up and running.

They had no idea that the money wasn't being put into their social security until the lawsuit put a stop to it. Not only do the not have the money now, they will not have it when they need it down the road in retirement. :(

Their checks showed that all the appropriate taxes were being taken out so their take home was the same.
But on the back side it wasn't beging claimed, so more money would be there to build the DZ and get it up and running.

They had no idea that the money wasn't being put into their social security until the lawsuit put a stop to it. Not only do the not have the money now, they will not have it when they need it down the road in retirement. :(

That is not true. Get your facts straight.

He failed to "COLLECT and pay" any taxes. No money was withheld from any employee's paycheck. Read the articles. Therefore no employees were hurt.

GEE WIZ what a big surprise, someone from the start camp plays the "axe grinding" card.......

Go see your doctor and get your nose checked, but you might want to wait till the kool aid is out of your system first and your head is pulled free from your ass.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I know some of his former employees and I am speaking facts.

What is a very sad fact is that there are those that still think he is a good guy now that he has confessed and has been convicted. While all the time he was lying and stealing from his employees from selection.com just to build up a drop zone. Put yourself in their shoes and think about not having that money in your Medicare or Social Security when you will need it. He lied and stole from those that felt he was trustworthy. Ask those same people now how they feel about him. You will get nothing but negatives, I guarantee it.

I jumped at the first DZ in Lebanon before he high-tailed it out of there because he was not paying the bills (fact). It was a nice place, but I too was one saying “where is he getting all the money for this?” Now we all know….he stole it from employees that trusted and looked up to him. He took from them and now the Govt. will be taking it back. I get it, nice facilities and turbines, trust me I get it. But, how can a person support a guy that ruins others lives like that and says “litarelly 10 minutes before he went to court "it's nothing but a thang!"? SERIOUSLY??? I just don’t get it.

A moral line has to be drawn somewhere.

Sorry I don't buy it. He was convicted for not COLLECTING and paying tax. Not for stealing from his employees via manipulating their paychecks. Can you provide some proof of this?

Sorry I don't buy it. He was convicted for not COLLECTING and paying tax. Not for stealing from his employees via manipulating their paychecks. Can you provide some proof of this?

Are you just going by the news stories? Or do you have some other source?

We all know how much the news people can screw up a story, so maybe they did the same here.

Anyone know how long this was going on? Past 1 April 15 and not collecting the taxes would be evident to all involved, since they would not be reported in the W2s.

We all know how much the news people can screw up a story, so maybe they did the same here.

Anyone know how long this was going on? Past 1 April 15 and not collecting the taxes would be evident to all involved, since they would not be reported in the W2s.

I'm just going by all the news stories from the last several months. If he truly was stealing from the employees why wasn't this noted and included in his proceedings? None of the news stories I've seen mention him stealing. They only state he failed to collect the taxes. But everyone seems to assume he was stealing as well. Why is that? I find it hard to believe as he was NOT charged with stealing.

This is not speculation or mud slinging it is a matter of public record. Pure black and white.

I will let you call the southern district court of Ohio and they will let you know all the facts that are out there.

Everyone knows how the news is. They show what will make news and sounds good to "the people"

You can appoligze later. ;)

I'm just going by all the news stories from the last several months. If he truly was stealing from the employees why wasn't this noted and included in his proceedings? None of the news stories I've seen mention him stealing. They only state he failed to collect the taxes. But everyone seems to assume he was stealing as well. Why is that? I find it hard to believe as he was NOT charged with stealing.

If I were to receive paychecks that had no taxes withheld, I'd start asking questions. So, the likely way to keep honest employees in the dark is to withhold the money, but not make the tax payments to the government.

If he simply didn't withhold any money, all his employees would have to be complicit.

That seems unlikely to me. So I wonder if we simply do not have the whole story.

Sometimes we think something looks like a theft, but it isn't legally so. Withholding without paying the government might be one of those cases. He is required to withhold, so withholding is not theft. But failing to send the money to the government is the crime, so he was charged with that.

As I said, I mostly think we don't have the complete and accurate story.

If he simply didn't withhold any money, all his employees would have to be complicit.

That seems unlikely to me. So I wonder if we simply do not have the whole story.

Not really that unusually. How many skydivers pay taxes on those wages?

But the reports all say he did not collect taxes which means to me that the employees had nothing withheld. However, that doesn't mean he could not be manipulating their paychecks to make it look like they had with holding then keeping the extra wages for himself intead of paying taxes to the government.