JohnMitchell

In this month's Parachutist

The 2 jumpers lost at WFFC were pretty experienced, and apparently just screwed up their EP's. It happens, and not just to newbies. They paid for it with their lives when RSL’s might (in fact probably would) have saved them. That's not device dependence, it's just keeping it in your back pocket as one last chance.

I guess our definitions of device dependency differ.

So would you consider a reserve to be device dependency? It sounds like you are, because EP's require a device (your reserve). If you pack correctly, maintain your equipment and always open in good body position, I can't think of any reason your main would not open correctly. If I'm wrong, please don't just call me a newbie, give me an example. How can equipment "IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER" fail, if there is NO human error involved?

BTW, I'm not taking sides or criticizing, just playing devil's advocate here. We can take this "device dependancy" thing right down to the sneakers you are wearing. Maybe we should wear lanyards on our shoes, just in case.

>So would you consider a reserve to be device dependency?

If you don't maintain your main parachute and pack like shit because you know you have a reserve, then you are overly dependent on your reserve (IMO.)

>How can equipment "IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER" fail, if there is NO
>human error involved?

Skydiving equipment, even when assembled, maintained, packed and operated correctly, can malfunction, resulting in injury or death. In other words, you can get killed through no fault of your own. Parachutes that are packed perfectly can malfunction, and that goes for reserves as well as mains.

How can equipment "IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER" fail, if there is NO human error involved?

Come on, you really don't believe a 100% success rate can be achieved simply by a neat packjob and well-maintained gear, do you? The act of deploying a mass of fabric into a 120+mph stream of air has an incalculable number of variables that can affect the opening. Now throw in canopies that are moderately loaded, have high aspect ratios, and a lot of leading edge taper and you just created a recipe for increased odds of a malfunction, namely spinning up.

I've seen some great video of a VX deployment where one side inflated a little faster than the other and the canopy proceeded to fly around itself into about 20 twists in 5 seconds. Sometimes sh1t just happens and we often believe it can't happen to us, until it does.

I'm chop-free though so I must be doing something right. :P:P:P
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

***I'm chop-free though so I must be doing something right.***

You only have a year in the sport and a couple hundred jumps - you’re just getting started, give it some time - the chop will come. It’s not a matter of “if” but of “when”. This important thing was written by Jim Crouch in this months Safety Check on page 7.
I haven’t had a malfunction in 2800 jumps but that doesn’t really mean I am doing anything "right" with my sloppy ass 5 minute pack jobs, just means things have gone my way and mostly that PD knows how to make a reliable parachute...

I hope I have a chop my next jumping day - it is a good skill to remain current on...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Sometimes I fail, sorry - fact is mostly I flail...

I remember a buddy of mine was "joking" about how good his landings were and "joking" how he was "doing every thing right", just minutes before he got on the airplane. He ws just joking around...

He died on that jump, well actually on the landing...

The words we use have a lot of power...