ReluctantStool

Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned?

Define "Earned."
It sounds like the Marine Corps ad. :)

I started wearing one when I got my rigger's ticket. The first one (I lost a couple) came out of the parts bin at the loft where I took my course.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

People spend a lot of time and money to become a Skydiver. Just makes sense I guess. You see it and you know that person Skydives, not they bought it at the gift shop because it looked cool lol, I dont know. Dumb question I guess. :S

Not necessarily dumb, just a bit vague.

You mean "earned" as in a "real" skydiver. Not just a "One and Done" tandem passenger.

I've never seen one on anyone but a skydiver.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Mine was given to me after I made my first solo. I wear it on a silver David Yurman Chain. I get lots of "wow I really like that charm what is it?" I then get to explain what it is and how it works. It has always been a positive experiance when it is noticed but I wear it for myself. Totems are a reminder after all and it reminds me that skies call......

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Mine was given to me after I made my first solo. I wear it on a silver David Yurman Chain. I get lots of "wow I really like that charm what is it?" I then get to explain what it is and how it works. It has always been a positive experiance when it is noticed but I wear it for myself. Totems are a reminder after all and it reminds me that skies call......

I tell people it's a stylised Sperm, it signifies that Im hyper-Virile Want some?:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Some day you will earn your A license by demonstrating enough proficiency and paying your license fee. Despite the related humor and high expense, your A license is not a consumer product. The privilege that it bestows goes hand-in-hand with the responsibility that is required to use it.

As for my necklace...it's a silly ornament for the most part. I wasn't proficient or crafty enough to make/steal one. So I payed for it; therefore, I earned it. :P

I've had (and lost) a few over the years. The first was given to me by a dear friend, and another was cut off a worn-out bridle line on my old rig. I think I just bought my current one.

Lately I wear mine only occasionally, and never at the DZ. Some people think they're tacky, but I reckon they're kind of cool. I'm not a fan of 'look-at-me' skydiving t-shirts - I think it's much nicer to wear something that's discreet, but would be instantly recognisable to another jumper anywhere in the world. And I like objects whose functional design results in them being attractive, which I think closing pins are.

Don't let anybody tell you that you have to 'earn' a closing pin necklace. There's far too much preciousness in this sport. ;)

I made mine myself. I jump a straight pin and when I needed a new PC, I (like an above poster) cut it off and made it using 550 and the king cobra knots. It's almost a choker and the closing pin actually closes the necklace itself.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

i've been old school since the start and way before single pin bridles.... curved OR otherwise...:o

I quess that while i HAVE earned one... i simply have never BOUGHT one...:)
IF i were to wear a necklace it would likely have a crucifix on it, rather than a closing pin, and would be kept UNDER my shirt, and Not out in view... :o
( thought i GET,,,,,, that THAT is the reason to wear One.)B|;)

I like when i see them on women but not so much when i see them on men...

however... to each his Own !!

jmy

I was given mine to remind myself of my goals.

I got injured on my Cat B jump in 2006 pretty bad. Ended up in the ER with a hematoma on my left leg. (definitely a freak accident and most likely because it was a wicked hard opening and I was out of shape and 245lbs) 2 cat scans later, surgery, and a Jackson Pratt tube installed in my leg for a week post surgery meant I wasn't jumping anymore that season.

http://www.myspace.com/video/boy4sale/hemmorage/2262024

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2371490;page=unread#unread

I ended up getting super fat (275 lbs as of this summer roughly 115 days ago) and realized that I was ruining my life and wanted to finish what I started in 2006.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4362963;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

So...

I started going to the DZ with my family, purchased a closing pin to remind myself of my goal which was to go for my AFF again in 2013, become a licensed skydiver, and be a true role model for my kids. (There are so many role models in the sport right now and I want to be one of them too.)

Currently I am 247.5 lbs, eat right (besides cake I fucking love cake), and work out mon-friday.

I will become the skydiver I wanted to be in 2006 and I will earn the closing pin I wear every single day. This is my resolve.

I can tell you that no one has asked what it is unless they are a skydiver and I haven't run into any skydivers outside of my home DZ yet.

This was my little story about why I wear a closing pin and why I got mine. P.S. I was standing in the shop at my DZ talking with Don the day I got mine. I was talking to him about my story, what I had been doing for the previous 6 years, and he was meeting my kids and wife for the first time. Asked him to buy one and he just tossed it to me and said it was on him. Not a minute later a guy walked through after doing his 1st tandem and asked for the very same thing because one of his friends told him to buy it. $3 later he was psyched even though he probably didn't even know what it was he just bought. Cheers! ;)

Sincerely, Daniel (not as fat as he thinks he is) Adams
http://www.skyjump.com
http://www.vimeo.com/dandaninc
http://www.youtube.com/dandaninc