Katrinka

tunnel coaching

hi guys!
how are you?
I have recently explored the web sites of some europian tunnels( as I live in Europe) and it appeared that some of them offer a coaching for non-skydivers...:o...yea, maybe its not news for you, but I didn't know about such facility.
This is personal matter to decide which coaching you want, but Im really curious what do you think about coaching in tunnel for non-skydivers?
Its time to rock&roll.

Im really curious what do you think about coaching in tunnel for non-skydivers?

Why not? Wind tunnels are a great way to introduce non-skydivers to our world. Coaching keeps people safe and brings their skill level up. You don't have to be a skydiver to enjoy time in a Wind Tunnel.

Did you know that the SkyVenture Tunnel in Orlando started out to attract tourist?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I did some tunnel time in bedford, before AFF, so I would be classed as a non skydiver, there were kids of all ages there, some far to you to jump.

This just reminded me of the Young Eagles initiative by Rick Boardman and Rob Ames at nethers. They run a series of skydiving type competitions (creeper FS, rope descender accuracy etc) for teams of young kids and the winning teams get a shedload of wind tunnel time.

I think their aim is to get a group of teenagers who can turn 20 points of senior 4-way in the tunnel, then when they're old enough they can all go through AFF and immediately kick arse at the nationals.B|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I don't see a problem with it.

Naturally the student will still have to go through the AFF program if they ever want to make a skydive. They'll have to prove that they can pass all the TLOs of the AFF before being able to make a solo skydive.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

This just reminded me of the Young Eagles initiative by Rick Boardman and Rob Ames at nethers. They run a series of skydiving type competitions (creeper FS, rope descender accuracy etc) for teams of young kids and the winning teams get a shedload of wind tunnel time.

I saw some of the Young Eagles in the Bedford tunnel at the opening party. It was impressive to watch - those kids, some of them really very young, were real naturals! Very cool to think what they will be able to do with a lot more tunnel time...

Vicki

The tunnel is an amazing tool for any level of flyers. A good example is Thomas Hughes. I did some of his AFF with him after he had flown around 80 hrs in SVO. We graduated him in 4 jumps ( after making sure his canopy control and alti awareness were good) and 2 years later he was my 4-way teammate doing a 20-average ! I've done some tunnel AFF where students fly 20 mins before their first jump and, for the most part, they cruise thru the skydives at twice the speed and confidence that students usually experience. Go fly ;)

sorry...who is Mailing???:o

Did you read the thread?

BTW, put a space between the body of your post and your sig line. They run together, and readers don't know if your sig line is part of your post. ;)

I think their aim is to get a group of teenagers who can turn 20 points of senior 4-way in the tunnel, then when they're old enough they can all go through AFF and immediately kick arse at the nationals.B|

except for the fact that they will all be wearing HUGE rigs which will significantly affect the way they have to fly... that and the lack of tracking/break off skills might hamper any "immediate" kicking of arse...

how do you think if it is possible to start coaching for FF in tunnel first and then continue in Air? will this traing be effective?

my GF has zero skydives, nearly an hour in the tunnel and was learning to back fly during her last session.. there is no reason why you could not learn freefly skills in the tunnel without ever making a skydive...

however there are other issues/ nessesary skills to skydiving you cannot learn in the tunnel that are crucial to success (and survival) in every skydive....

Talk about first jumpers speeding through AFF, check out this thread:)

I did AFF in DeLand and completed in 4 jumps. Straight in at AFF level 4 with one instructor. One repeat.

Then did a Scott Miller canopy control course to make up for my total lack of 'student' experience in the landing/approach department. It was good to go through AFF so quickly on the one hand - on the other, I was a very nervous canopy pilot until about 30 jumps because I'd not had the canopy experience...