canedraw4

My new canopy v's my experience level

I wonder if i could get some advice, I have 157 jumps,most of the last 80 on my spectre170 I have just had a bargin new rig come up with a new safire2 149. I have bought it because it was just too good a deal to miss. I have 15 or so jumps on a rental sabre2 170. Do the more experienced amongst us think i can start jumping my new canopy now or wait? If so how long? I have the basic canopy handling certificates and i have my head screwed on the right way. i am 11st thats 154lbs without my rig. Thanks in advance.

It would totally depend on how competent of a canopy pilot you are. If you are standing all of your landing currently except just one or two rare occasions and have confidence in your flying abilities then you should be fine under the Safire. On the other hand if your only occasionally standing up your landings and are not very confident in your canopy skill then I would stay you should wait to fly the Safire. Remember when trying out a new canopy do some high pulls to get use to how the canopy fly’s
The best people to ask are the instructors at your home DZ that have seen your ablities
Kirk
Kirk

The best people to ask are the instructors at your home DZ that have seen your ablities <<<<<

ditto

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

After my fibula completely healed and I got back into jumping, I came up with this saying:

Just because I am capable of jumping a canopy of X square feet does not mean it is a good idea for me to do so.

So, in addition to your question of whether you "can" start jumping that canopy, maybe you should ask (of us, or your instructors, or especially yourself) whether you "should" start jumping that canopy.

And it's an option for you to try and trade that canopy to someone else for a similar canopy one (or two) size(s) larger.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

To quote BillVon:

On your current canopy, can you:

flare and steer through the flare?
flare turn and flat turn?
land in no wind, crosswind and downwind?
land (at least start the flare) with rear risers?
steer with rear risers, both right after opening and during final?
initiate a landing with double front risers?
land on a slight uphill and downhill slope?
land reliably within a 10 meter circle?
Remster

I totally agree with this. I have 143 jumps, i feel very competant under canopy and my control is good for my experience. I am a little heavier than youself. 13 1/2 stone & i am jumping a 210. I am happy with this for at least another 100+ jumps or so and maybe then, i will consider a 190. The way i see it is, this is not the sort of sport you should rush things. You have all the time in the world to go onto smaller canopys so why not sell the 149, use the cash for jumps on your 170 and gain much more experience?? Just something worth considering :)

Why do you want to downsize? If it is just because you got a good deal, that is the wrong reason. You could sell the Safire for more than you paid and use the money for jump tickets if that is the case.

154lb (our hero) + 22lb (his gear) = 176lb.
Wingloading = 176lb / 149sqft = 1.18

So he can live with it or he can break himself. I've started to fly my 150 with higher load and I've survived.

As a new jumper like yourself, I put about 125 jumps on a Heatwave 135 (~1.3:1) before circumstances combined with the very poor choice of canopies and a very small error close to the ground allowed me nine days in my local hospital.

Being able to land a canopy well in optimum conditions is not the same as being ready to jump that canopy. Not all jumps take place in optimum conditions.

Canopy choice should be based on landing in less than optimum conditions.

For Great Deals on Gear

What it really comes down to is your ability to fly your canopy in any condition. If you haven't gotten everything you can out of your current canopy, then it might be a good idea to get everything you can out of that . If you have, then maybe its time to downsize. Another option I heard someone else mention is to stay on the same size canopy, but get one that is higher performance like the Sabre 2 you flew.

Remember that you are ultimately responsible for your safety.

I started out with a 1.32 wing loading at 66 jumps on my current canopy. I still want to make about another 100-150 jumps before I think of downsizing. I can fly my canopy well, but I can't get everything out of it that it has to offer.

May the skys be blue, but never your balls!!!

--------------------------------------------------
May the skys be blue, but never your balls!!!

I have my own opinions and have asked for the opinions and advice of my instructors. Which i have listened to and taken on board.I have posted for some more advice not because of a lack of confidence or ability but because there are so many differing opinions. Like i stated I have the CH1 and CH2 qualifications so, yes, i can stand up my landings fly my canopy and land in an area within ten metres of target. The reasons I am downsizing are I have become bored with the spectre, I have lost some weight and the great deal i got on my new rig. I should point out that the Safire2 came as part of a whole new system i didn't just go out and buy a smaller canopy. I am tempted by the idea that somebody mentioned of selling the safire2 149 and going for something like a sabre2 170. I would then have to stick with my old container. I am going to do a five day canopy course in the new year so i think i will leave it until then. Thanks for the advice.

I'm not talking about the current situation.

I've started to fly my Pilot 150 @ WL 1.2+ with 124 jumps.

Respect and fear your canopy or she will bite you hard.

Thanks for the clarification. :)
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

As a new jumper like yourself, I put about 125 jumps on a Heatwave 135 (~1.3:1) before circumstances combined with the very poor choice of canopies and a very small error close to the ground allowed me nine days in my local hospital.

I've got that lesson on nr87 from a PD Nav220.

"If you don't have it in your head, you are going to have it in your leg."

I have a steal plate and 4 screws left in my left ankle.

Being able to land a canopy well in optimum conditions is not the same as being ready to jump that canopy. Not all jumps take place in optimum conditions.

Agree. Its important to able to say no.

I had about 50+ 1000m jumps to feel secure and land wherever I want in any wind condition. Do you call it luck? I wouldn't.

I have a steal plate and 4 screws left in my left ankle.

And the plate came from skill? :o

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Please give another 5 minutes to my previous post to read and understand. You should notice than I am not a native English. And you may figure out where is the steal plate coming from.

Or maybe the skill is from the surgically implanted plate B|.

You don't have to agree with me about my canopy choice. It was my decision and our STA did not have anything against it. Notice that canopy progression is different country to country.

How nice is spreading the FUD.