NuclearCaffeine

Help a rookie: Becoming a professional skydiver

Hello (I apologize for this long ass post, but...)

I am at the end of my second year at uni and have 1 left (Im 20). Started skydiving here at uni 2 years after a tandem. Ever since I started I knew this is now my favourite sport! :)
However, with my uni work becoming increasingly boring, and with me losing interest in it because skydiving is in my head 24/7. I have realised that I would rather have a lucrative career that I absolutely fucking love, instead of a career where i want to work to jump all the time and live from 1 jump weekend to another. Even though i only have 50 jumps (just my A license so far) i can definitely say this interests me way more than any other career (including scuba diving for which i have a professional rating)

I know that there are static line, AFF, Tandem instructors, riggers and packers, aerial photo/video graphers....etc

What my main question is:[:/]

How did you guys start in your professional career, and do you work a lot outside of it, what sacrifices have you made etc? (I have been told that you generally start off being a packer and gradually progress to videographer, then coach and eventually an instructor). To clarify I want to do video/tandem/AFF (static line is dying out apparently although Id love to do it since i qualified doing static line jumping start to finish!! :)
I need people to explain how you can become a professional to sustain yourself (ie: id rather live at a DZ and skydive all day everyday till I die than do a lot of boring shit to postpone my dreams).

From what I hear, it's not so much fun once you turn it into a job.

'course I get to be a mad scientist during the day and derive a tremendous amount of satisfaction (And large briefcases full of cash) from that. I might feel differently if I were in a suck job.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

You CAN make a career out of it. Many have. I don't think you'll be super rich unless you become an owner of the business, but there's a lot of $$ to be made packing, doing tandems, etc.

I've been okay with being a part-timer for almost 4 decades. I certainly haven't burned out like some I've seen. :)

Shit, I just deleted the perfect answer :P

That said, finish college. This is the easiest time in your life to finish college, and waiting that one year won't make a bit of difference in how easy it is to get into skydiving (except that maybe you can get part of the "packer" piece of your career out of the way while you're still in school).

Being a professional skydiver with a degree is no different than being one without a degree. And being a former professional skydiver with a degree is much easier than being one without a degree. Not to mention that if you decide that you want to scale back a little and work part-time in skydiving for awhile (maybe to buy a better trailer :P), it's easier to find that second job if you have a degree.

I've been a pro; it was great for a few months, then I decided to go back to the real world (this was in teh 70's -- there were exceedingly few people making their living off skydiving, and none making a good one).

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Get a degree...don't tie your survival into good weather & positive economic conditions.

I found a way to skydive my way through college, I worked part-time as a 'professional' skydiver afterwards instructing...long enough to know that for me it is a better hobby than career.

I found another rather creative way to be a 'professional skydiver' in which I was my own boss...having a business degree help that come about. When THAT business started to create more income than my other career, I went with it full time.

Live for today and plan for tomorrow...you CAN do both, many have.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Get a degree...don't tie your survival into good weather good health & positive economic conditions.

Added one. As others have said, suck it up and finish the degree. "Use" it immediately or don't, but give yourself the opportunity to use it by finishing it up now.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have realised that I would rather have a lucrative career

You may need to redefine lucrative to being able to buy mac & cheese and pay rent or live in a tent. You do not get paid if it is bad weather or if there happens to be no students. If you do a search in the forums you will find lots of threads on instructors pay. I only do it part time and for me it works out really well. From what I have seen for those that skydive full time as a career it is more about a life style choice, have lots of fun, lots of skydives and just get by financially.

Kirk
He's dead Jim

well thats exactly my point, no students/customers = no pay. Its rare to find a DZ with pay/hour system.

By lucrative I just mean no commodities that the "middle" classes etc can afford to buy and not use again, whereas I would have to budget every single dime.

But as I said, id rather be less rich but do something awesome for the rest of my life, than live most of my life wishing i was doing what i loved you know?

Yeah I have to finish it regardless haha.

Im just trying to find out what the professionals did when they were roughly my age (like what they worked as to fund their jumping, what they did at the DZ that proved an effective way to start in the sport professionally etc) you know?

What would be your tips after I finish uni, I can speculate about it in my head, but I need some solid advice. I could ask my local DZ a bit more (I dont want to right now - i have very few jumps and further questions will start making me look absurd)

Im just trying to find out what the professionals did when they were roughly my age (like what they worked as to fund their jumping, what they did at the DZ that proved an effective way to start in the sport professionally etc) you know?

What would be your tips after I finish uni, I can speculate about it in my head, but I need some solid advice. I could ask my local DZ a bit more (I dont want to right now - i have very few jumps and further questions will start making me look absurd)

ummm...you jump out of airplanes and you're worried about looking absurd?
:ph34r:

Ask away...your DZO has heard it before & may have some solid advise to get you on the right path! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Learn how to pack. Find out if you can pack for others at the DZ (either for other fun jumpers, or for the dropzone's school - packing student rigs and tandems). That's the best money on the DZ (no, I'm not joking).

Ask around if there are other odd jobs that need doing at the DZ. Maybe it's fueling the planes. Maybe it's fixing that broken railing. Maybe it's cleaning out the bathrooms. There may or may not be the opportunity, but if you show that you're willing to do anything and hustle, there might be a place for you to earn some extra money. Or there might already be two or three people living in a tent on the DZ who are filling that role for the DZO. If you've got any customer service / retail experience, manifest might be an opportunity. If it's a large DZ, there might be an opening on the grounds crew. (For example, Skydive Chicago just recently posted on Facebook that they're hiring for that role).

So, there are jobs to be had on a dropzone that don't require skydiving skill, but there's just not that many at most dropzones.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks for further replies! :)
I have learned to pack, but for various reasons (mostly bad bad bad weather) i havent had a good chance to jump it and do tangle test.

What I dont know is this: so I qualify to pack, how do I approach the DZ and ask if I can start to pack for other people if they have 2 super qualified packers there already???

PS: i know that the only way to find out is asking, but the whole point of going on here and asking these questions is so that my actions have a foundation of logic/experience from advice. Rather than being cheeky (although that has granted some things in my life but not much ;))

NWFlyer is right -- be that kid who hangs around, and it really doesn't matter if you pick the right words to ask how one gets into packing at that DZ.

And remember -- there isn't anything you're too good to do, if it doesn't involve physical assault or something like that. If it needs to be done (e.g. cleaning the bathrooms, helping the honey truck), it needs to be done.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

B|

I have learned to pack, but for various reasons (mostly bad bad bad weather) i havent had a good chance to jump it and do tangle test.

What I dont know is this: so I qualify to pack, how do I approach the DZ and ask if I can start to pack for other people if they have 2 super qualified packers there already???

PS: i know that the only way to find out is asking, but the whole point of going on here and asking these questions is so that my actions have a foundation of logic/experience from advice. Rather than being cheeky (although that has granted some things in my life but not much ;))

I admire your gung ho attitude. But everytime I read one of these threads it reminds me of the little kids that want to runaway from home to join the circuse.

Unless you know the right people, or luck out and are at the right dz at the right time your going to be shoveling lots of animal shit before you get a chance to work in the big tent.

Get your degree first.
One Jump Wonder

B|

I admire your gung ho attitude. But everytime I read one of these threads it reminds me of the little kids that want to runaway from home to join the circuse.

Unless you know the right people, or luck out and are at the right dz at the right time your going to be shoveling lots of animal shit before you get a chance to work in the big tent.

Get your degree first.

+ 1. I was in the same position as you, 2nd year into my degree when skydiving came along, but at that time there was no such thing as commercial skydiving. However I stayed with it, and graduated with my degree, but also I had accumulated enough jumps to get my Jumpmaster rating, so was into training students.....

Went out to work, kept jumping, got my riggers ticket and Intructor rating, did a lot of fun jumps and finally got appointed as Club Safety Officer, again all options to get paid were closed.

Finally after switching jobs a few times, got made redundant from one and received a nice payout. In the meantime the club had gone into recess, so I and a friend invested our money into new student rigs and started training students for money.

Had a lot of good times and made some good money, but like George Best, spent most of it on women and booze, and wasted the rest. Its difficult to become rich from skydiving, but you can get by..

After being a full time skydiver for 15 years, finally got to the stage of wanting to do some other things with my life that I'd put on hold for a lot of years...A holiday for one, I realised I hadn't had a holiday for 15 years. The only timeouts I'd had, all involved skydiving.

I've spent the last 12 years travelling the world, but was able to fall back on my degree and earn enough money to support my lifestyle, which is basically six months work, six months holidaying in the sun, with the odd fun jump here and there.

Full time skydiving is hard work, and a big responsibility to take on. Not everyone handles the responsibility for others lives well.

It would be easy for me to get back into it as a professional, but having been there, done that, done my bit and more, its the turn of others to do the work.

In my eyes the really fun days of skydiving have long gone, nothing will beat the mayhem and madness of the late 70's and 80's.

Take the advice of the other oldies on here, worm your way in doing the odd jobs, clock up as many jumps as you can, get ratings. But get that degree under your belt, it will give you an option down the track when injury or burnout means skydiving can no longer feed you.

And if you're really serious, stay single. Marriage, kids and skydiving don't really mix too well.

Good luck. You'll need it!!.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Help out around your home DZ. Empty the trash, pack, load the plane, whatever the DZO needs help with, ask if you can do it. Hopefully you'll score some jump tix in exchange.

Keep your eyes open, ask questions, watch canopy landings, take a basic first aid course.

Get your degree.

Jump, a lot.

Hang out in the loft, learn gear.

Learn to fly video. Keep helping out at the DZ.

Get a coach rating. Get a tandem rating, get an AFF rating, get a rigger ticket.

Keep yourself in good shape.

Good luck!

B|

Get your degree first.

Thanks man! I do feel like I'll be a runaway kid as soon as i start being a professional in this sport (my family will hate me forever):)

I understand that Ill be doing the dirty work to start with, but thats normal to be honest. I was wandering what sort of things they wanted/expected me to do before i start earning ratings.. Until I can earn enough jumps to do my ratings I dont want to be the DZ whore (excuse the expression). Because until I get jumping & packing experience, there is not much point doing much of the dirty work, people will just exploit my enthusiasm (although helping here and there suits me fine, Ive already helped out with some stuff), I want to bottle it to use it when Im on the right track to get my coach rating etc. ;)

Until I can earn enough jumps to do my ratings I dont want to be the DZ whore (excuse the expression). Because until I get jumping & packing experience, there is not much point doing much of the dirty work, people will just exploit my enthusiasm (although helping here and there suits me fine, Ive already helped out with some stuff)

That kind of dz whore gets the opportunitues, because they're onsite, available, and familiar when the opportunities show up.

Also, most DZ's recognize the concept of paying your dues by doing the scutwork. Yes, there are abusers, like in any other world.

But the fastest way in really is to be that guy, the one who's always there, who understands more and more of what they're looking at, and starts to anticipate what the DZ needs.

BTW, that's true for most other jobs that you want to work your way into as well.

Wendy P.

I was wandering what sort of things they wanted/expected me to do before i start earning ratings.. Until I can earn enough jumps to do my ratings I dont want to be the DZ whore (excuse the expression). Because until I get jumping & packing experience, there is not much point doing much of the dirty work,

There's a huge point. It makes you a part of 'the team' and not just another guy trying to weasel his way onto the staff.

I can tell you right now, that if any of the (non-jumping) manifest staff wanted to make a jump at my DZ, every TI, AFFI and video flyer would offer up their time and pay their own slot to take them. We've done tandems with 4 or 5 videos when it was one of 'the team' who felt like jumping. Everyone wanted to go on the jump, and everyone wore cameras.

We have some packers who are going through AFF, and they have never had a shortage of instructors or coaches willing to take them up.

We also have a couple of current jumping staff members who started off as 'grounds keepers' or packers. When they wanted to start jumping, they did, and when they wanted to get ratings, they had a slot on the jumping staff, no questions asked. They also had help preparring for their ratings, and I'm pretty sure the DZO fronted the money for some of them to get the actual ratings (to be paid back using said ratings, but still).