KollegeKay

Questionnaire 4 Skydiverz!

I think you will find that language is anything BUT "arbitrary"

You are wrong, but I cannot expect anything less from a forum troll to insist on the need to respond.

People judge you by your written communications when that is the only medium they have.

I do not fear the judgement from others, as it is not my place to judge them (unless my life depended on it). Everyone has their own story.

Evidence you are just posting to post is that you sure do not follow these "rules" of English grammar yourself, but sure have an opinion and have a need to be heard. Maybe you were neglected as a child and starve for attention. I guess you feel you are the exception to the rule, probably more then just in a forum... oh snap, there I go being judgmental!

Have a nice day, Squeak.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

Everyone has their own perspective and language is arbitrary. Depending on how you were taught, where you were taught, and other surrounding factors, communication will vary.

This sounds like the idea of "cultural relativism" brought to the English language, where everything is okay, just because someone says so.

If you're writing a story for a newspaper to be read by the masses, you have to write using the culturally accepted norms that everyone understands. For example, you don't use gangster or pop culture terms that many people don't comprehend. Thus, while you might consider language to be "arbitrary", it's an absolute necessity if you want to communicate properly to everyone. You can't just go off inventing your own words and expect people to understand them. If you want to target a specific audience, like engineers in a technical paper, then you can use technical engineering terms. But to present skydiving to the general public, you should use generally accepted language, and avoid skydiving-specific phrases like "AAD", "right-hand pattern", "AFF" and "peas" that the general public doesn't know.

JohnRich, I was never arguing the point of writing a newspaper article unprofessionally, just the way I posted within a forum. I think people have skewed the real topic here.

I bet not even 10% of the posts follow proper English grammar... but then again, 53.8% of all stats are made up anyways, so we will never know. :P

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

I think you will find that language is anything BUT "arbitrary"

You are wrong, but I cannot expect anything less from a forum troll to insist on the need to respond.

People judge you by your written communications when that is the only medium they have.

I do not fear the judgement from others, as it is not my place to judge them (unless my life depended on it). Everyone has their own story.

Evidence you are just posting to post is that you sure do not follow these "rules" of English grammar yourself, but sure have an opinion and have a need to be heard. Maybe you were neglected as a child and starve for attention. I guess you feel you are the exception to the rule, probably more then just in a forum... oh snap, there I go being judgmental!

Have a nice day, Squeak.

Thanks, I always have a nice day,:)Would you mind terribly, supporting why you consider me to be wrong, instead of just professing it.
Language, the words you choose, the context you use them and the way that you display them, is a very large part or how western culture communicates. Saying that it is arbitrary and also professing to be writing an article for print media is incongruous at best and more than little asinine.
But you go "Rock on" with your arbitrarily written report and article. I'm sure is will be a stellar work, worthy of this award.
Have yourself a day half as nice as mine:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

...but had you written your first post like your last, you would have gotten it B|

I really do not see how my last post differs from the first when I got my message across, the purpose of written communication. I think people are just bored and as soon as they find something, they jump right at the opportunity.

Everyone has their own perspective and language is arbitrary. Depending on how you were taught, where you were taught, and other surrounding factors, communication will vary. A simple example is the word "gay." Today it means something totally different then it did 60+ years ago, which was "happy."

Just saying.

Your first post is written well enough, it's the thread title that puts everyone off.

If you are going into communications, you might want to work on tailoring your style to the intended audience.
For example, using the word "gay" around teenagers would carry a significantly different meaning than if you used it at the Rainbow Boogie.

This site has a lot of "old farts". Look around at the posts and you will usually see proper spelling, grammar and sentence construction. "Textspeak" is usually disparaged. If you want a response, then using proper sentence construction, especially on the first thing people see (the thread title) is probably a good idea.

I filled out your survey, I hope you let us see the article, even if it doesn't get published.

Just a note: Senior and Master Rigger are FAA ratings, just like pilot certificates. They aren't USPA.

Oh yeah, before I forget...

Get off my lawn!!!! B|
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

This will be the first time I ever wrote into a paper, let alone a feature article. I personally do not feel that confident that my article will be selected...I figured Public Relations was geared towards my personality with planning and organizing. B|

Speaking as a former opinion researcher and PR guy:

1) I'm not entirely sure why you're asking for USPA only as outside of the licensure question the survey could be answered by anybody and would make a much more interesting pitch if the article reflected multinational participation.

2) You're going to end up burying the lede. Outside of the general "skydivers / risky behavior" stuff you're really asking for a bunch of "no shit, there I was" stories. 80-90% of the really funny stuff is not publishable.

3) The last question re: credibility (ratings and such) is problematic given the nature of the questions [see point 2]

I'm not entirely sure what "Skydiver Views and Opinions" you're looking for (given the title of the 'survey') but when the editor gets to the article it could turn into a bunch of highly rated / experienced jumpers drinking beer laughing at the dude who biffed while trying something exotic. Good PR for the sport.

As a new jumper maybe you should have asked views and opinions on the progression to A..."skydivers take risks, do crazy stuff and laugh about it" has been done.

For example that which I find interesting:

a) getting my own pass because
b) I received an extra 1.5K due to the fact that
c) my C1 was on a multi-plane formation load

As for my "credentials"...I have none; I jump as a student.

Western? I thought you were southern!
:P

More "Southern" than you :ph34r:
BUT
also Western (West OZ);)

Anyways; I'm an Aussie, we dont have any culture:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

"Old Sharts"

Mkay...I'll bite. What the Heck is an Old Shart?

A 'Shart' is a shit AND a fart...:ph34r:

You probably don't know what an 'upper-decker' is either...:S

Ewww :( That's just plain ol' nasty, and mean, too! B|>:(

...well we drifted the thread from a college project to a college prank. In this case, the similarities out number the differences. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~