DcloudZ

Jumping after a Rhinoplasty

I will be geting a rhinoplasty (nose job) on May 14. My surgeon said that I should not jump until at least 1 week after and that I probably would not want to jump until at least 2 weeks after.

However, my surgeon is not a skydiver:P So has anyone got any experience with this? Heard any stories or anything? How long should I anticipate to be out of action so to speak?

BTW, I'm not purposely tying to piss off ChrisD with this thread;)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

I will be geting a rhinoplasty (nose job) on May 14. My surgeon said that I should not jump until at least 1 week after and that I probably would not want to jump until at least 2 weeks after.

However, my surgeon is not a skydiver:P So has anyone got any experience with this? Heard any stories or anything? How long should I anticipate to be out of action so to speak?

Listen to your Dr. That's my experience.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

SO you're looking for a second opinion from that of a mere two weeks from someone on the Internet who's not a Doctor... got that about right? :S

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Just get adequate separation and you'll be just fine.
:o:D:D

Oh hell, I crack me up.

Haha good one;) Ya, I'll listen to his advice. The thing is; I don't think that my sinuses will be involved in the surgery but you never know what kind of effect it will have when you mix post-op nasal surgery with pressure change and high speed :P
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

You don't need to be a doctor to have the experience required to answer the question that I asked:)
Just a skydiver with a nose job:P

I had the sinus cavity drill done and didn't jump for a couple of weeks afterwards....and am glad I didn't. I was told that if the inside of the nose where work was done....rips from the wind, you're setting yourself up for infection and a longer recovery time. A couple of weeks isn't that bad, especially since it's not summer yet. It makes sense to me. I was even told NOT to sneeze if I could due to the same problems.
my pics & stuff!

I'm a lawyer with a nose for news, a skydiver; and you and I are total strangers. Therefore, I'm qualified to field this question.

When I perform surgery, THIS is the manual I use. It's guaranteed to work for you, too.

Godspeed. Stay thirsty, my friend.

You should be fine to jump in the afternoon if you procedure is in the morning.

I dont see a problem with it

Yes, I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun still high on the general aenesthesia ;)

You should be fine to jump in the afternoon if you procedure is in the morning.

I dont see a problem with it

Yes, I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun still high on the general aenesthesia ;)

G A is for pussies. Ask for a shot of whiskey and a piece of wood to chew on.
Remster

I recommend waiting until the healing is complete. However long that takes.

When blowing your nose doesn't produce any blood at all, for at least three days in a row, you are good to go. That is the advice I received when I had a deviated septum fixed and turbinectomy done. That took about 4 weeks or so. The sky isn't going anywhere. Be smart and wait it out.

No, I did not have a jet motor pulled out of my nose...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbinectomy

There's going to be A LOT of inflammation surrounding your sinuses & nasal airways. Jumping from 2.5 miles up involves strong pressure changes. Jumping before you're completely healed would be a VERY foolish N painful thing to do... I'd give it longer than two weeks, personally.

For the purpose of advising anyone who may ask this question further down the road, the answer to the original question is:

Approximately 1 week after the procedure depending on inflammation in the inside of the nostrils.

Should be fine after the first Post-Op visit to remove the bandage.

DcloudZ

OK, I can't take it any more...:)
Another Jumping whatafter thread??? [:/]

I have had sinus surgury, flying after scuba, took weeks to heal,...

I would reccomend going for an aircraft ride when you think you are ready. A ride where you have control over altitude! Just to see what happens.

Need I explain why. :)
Remember that as with colds, etc., all of the places where air gets trapped,...It is far easier for air to get out that it is too get back in, the pain can be intense and debilitating, this is the problem with rapid decents!

Perhaps a hop n' pop? for the first when you return?

Post pictures! We can give them to Billy! The black and blue ones!

Let us know how it went when they remove the "packing." Ditto the sneezzing obseervation,...

"Witch Hazel" and that other rinse are going to be your best friends for a bit,...

How did it go???

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Went really well, this surgeon actually doesn't put any packing besides a couple of cotton balls so it's not a pain to take out.

Didn't need to do a hop and pop because by the time the weather was nice to jump I could breathe easily from my nose as if I had not had the surgery done in the first pleace. Everything is back to normal and I banged out 5 jumps yesterday afternoon after work.:)
Ended up going 3 weeks without a jump because of bad weather before and after the surgery:S

All is well and I'm very happy with the results.

Sorry for the textbook jumping after thread:P Couldn't find anything using the search function or anywhere else on the internet.