fell4skydiving

How old were you?

First jump/course, 18Dec 1994, the very day I turned 16.
Was my dream since a little boy, and yes, I fell for it too.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

JohnMitchell

***Sky diving is the greatest thing I have done in my life. I have never felt better.

I started when I was 17. Skydiving has been a huge positive in my life. I wouldn't have met the love of my life and had half the adventures I've had without it. B|

Same here...except I was 18 when I started.

Met a lot of amazing people, done a lot of fantastic things ~ my first jump course cost me 55.00, easily the best investment in my future that I ever made!! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

33 when I started (42 now). I'm torn about wishing I'd done it earlier. On the one hand, I think I could better weather the bumps and bruises and other random stresses on my body if I were younger. On the other hand, I appreciate the fact that I have a career (and income) that allows me to participate as actively as I do without needing to work in the sport to finance it. It lets me keep skydiving as pure fun rather than something I have to do.

I also feel like starting when I did, I was mature enough to approach it with the right combination of fearless and fearful. In my teens and 20s, I was fearful of the wrong things - fearful of what others thought of me, fearful of failing, etc. That might have led me to make different choices in skydiving, rather than making the right choices for me. Coming into it when I did, I'm much more willing to be fearless about my choices, which are pretty conservative. I don't let peer pressure talk me into doing something I'm not comfortable with. I respect the sport, and I respect my own limitations, and try my best to skydive within those limitations.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer : I like your attitude that you expressed. I have seen too many who were lead into things they were not qualified to handle. I have seen some who got all geared up, and after climbing to altitude, the door was opened and they froze. They went down with the aircraft, which was better than jumping with a heart filled with fear of the unknown, but they should never have gotten to the jumprun situation in the first place. They were sadly misled.
Your self respect of your limitations is a good thing, especially when you are comfortable inside that you are doing your own thing....your way.
Nice post you made NWFlyer.

charlie5

28, wish I started 10 years earlier :P

21:(

Wanted to start when I was 19 but my mommy wouldn't sign the under 21yo waiver required by the military jump club.:(:$>:(

Had to cool my heals until 1968 to make my first jump.[:/]

Whine whine whine:P
One Jump Wonder

I'm starting AFF as soon as I graduate high school which is in 20 days, will take a year off, get another job, and make as many jumps as possible. I just need to find a good DZ near me to start the AFF course, Sky's the limit in PA is a good one but it's too far and I don't get my license until september, I wish I could go to Sky dive the ranch but it's too far.