Justin212

Dropzone Etiquette

Pacific

Leave your dog and kids at home.

Don't smoke, eat, drink in packing area.

Pick up after yourself.

Depends on the DZ. I jump at a couple DZ's that have several families that bring the kids, and they are welcomed. Teach them to respect the DZ, respect the jumpers, and help out where they can and you will be giving them an experience that none of their school friends have. Likely you will also be guiding a respectful skydiver.
You will never be more alive than you are the instant you let go!

SkydiverShawn

***Leave your dog and kids at home.

Don't smoke, eat, drink in packing area.

Pick up after yourself.

Depends on the DZ. I jump at a couple DZ's that have several families that bring the kids, and they are welcomed. Teach them to respect the DZ, respect the jumpers, and help out where they can and you will be giving them an experience that none of their school friends have. Likely you will also be guiding a respectful skydiver.
+1 ! :)
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

A note on dogs . . .

Some DZs don't allow them and some do. Always ask first, and be self-sufficient (water, food, sanitation). Be smart about feeding your dog - do it by the car so he doesn't have to compete with other chow hounds (pun intended).

The absolute worst thing you can do is go make a skydive with your dog unattended or without a plan (think about bringing your crate).

At our DZ there is an area where the staff doesn't want any dogs to venture beyond, and you are expected to be adult enough to pick up after your dog when they plant a smasharoonie on the property - we even have bags aplenty to help you out there. Ironically, the favorite shite site at our DZ is the departure end of the swoop pond (don't ask me how I know that). If you are gonna go drag some water, do a FOD walk first.

There are at least a dozen regular dogs there, including several that belong to ownership/management. They all get along with each other and with people, and with MOST other dogs. If your dog isn't social, you will be politely asked to take him somewhere else. They are also quite used to parachute gear and skydivers landing.

Don't feed any dog people food unless you ask the owner first - our DZ alpha dog (mui pequeno) is a food whore and begs a SINGLE chip from 50 people and falls into food coma all afternoon giving himself health problems.

You may occasionall see your dog following me (along with most of the rest of them) because I am the doggie Pied Piper who carries a pocket full of Milk Bones. It's what I do B|

Oh yeah, and watch out for the three-legged Chihuahua - she's a NINJA

P.S. The black tailless cat is named Crazy for a reason. You reap what you sew.

Arrive Safely

John

Nice... but, I'm a dog lover/owner. My dog is a sweetheart that loves people. However, I leave my dog at home! It's the nicest thing I can do for her. Personal opinion... DZ's are for skydivers. Dog parks are for dogs. Never do a demo into a dog park and never bring your dog to the DZ.

:)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

^^^
PLEASE!!!

I've also seen a single mom jumping...newer jumper...brings two kids with her....leaves them completely unattended when jumping.
They were destroying two creepers last I saw them.
Don't do this. Find a way to get someone to watch your kids.
Preferably off the DZ.
We don't go to their playgrounds to hang out. ;)

Find a way to get someone to watch your kids.
Preferably off the DZ.

100% agreement on having someone to watch the kids at all times, and kids should be taught what behavior is and is not ok. if they don't follow the rules, then they should be removed by the caregiver or parent.

but if a kid is behaving, they and their parents should be welcomed and supported. If you look at some of the people dominating this sport as adults, you'll find many of them grew up on a drop zone.

We don't go to their playgrounds to hang out.

If you're not allowed with 100 yards of a playground, however, letting everyone at the DZ know is probably a good idea :P

3mpire

If you're not allowed with 100 yards of a playground, however, letting everyone at the DZ know is probably a good idea :P

Will that stop them bringing their kids to the DZ?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I like your attitude.
B|

I fully understand kids at dz's.
I really feel a dz is an adult playground.
While I don't participate in some of the adult activities, I do tend to cuss like a drunken sailor on leave.
I'm not alone in this mindset folks.

normiss

I like your attitude.
B|

I fully understand kids at dz's.
I really feel a dz is an adult playground.
While I don't participate in some of the adult activities, I do tend to cuss like a drunken sailor on leave.
I'm not alone in this mindset folks.

So? If the parents of the kids don't like it, they can leave. Or leave the kids behind.
My mom (75 years old) loves the DZ. She loves to come out and watch. She sits at the picnic table and enjoys almost everything about it.
She doesn't really like some of the language. BUT she knows full well that she isn't everyones mom, and can't dictate how other people behave. So she puts up with it.

Just out of curiosity, do you talk to your tandem students like that? Or around the families/kids of the tandem student spectators? (only being a little bit smartass)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Of course I don't.
I'm very respectful to guests in particular.
You don't want to know what my snack bar tab was during the summers in Zhills. I always bought armsfull of freezy pops for everyone. Kids first.

I was being a bit of a smart ass as well.
I do think it is an adult playground and should give us some consideration of that.
As much as I enjoy kids, and I do, a dz is our playground.
IMO.

normiss

Of course I don't.
I'm very respectful to guests in particular.
You don't want to know what my snack bar tab was during the summers in Zhills. I always bought armsfull of freezy pops for everyone. Kids first.

I was being a bit of a smart ass as well.
I do think it is an adult playground and should give us some consideration of that.
IMO.

There is a time and place for everything. Kids should be closely supervised and put to bed early. DZ antics are not for young eyes. I've seen many DZ parents do this very well and watched these kids grow into great young adults.

We all need to curb our behavior a bit when kids (and woofos) are nearby. Once the beer light is on, put the kids to bed. B|

As for dogs... I love the DZ dogs! I just don't think it's a great place to bring your dog. Kinda like the Uptown Art Fair a local Mlps. outdoor event where some people think it's "cool" to drag your dog along thru the crowds. [:/]
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

normiss

IMO.

Says who?

Dont get me wrong, Im totally against unsupervised anything.
But who says that DZs are OUR play grounds.
They are generally PLACES OF BUSSINESS, and successful business people will most likely run them as such. (small club DZs excepted)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?