frogerina

To the boogie??

Yes, in this case we are going from a 2 Caravan DZ that uses one plane for tandems and one for everything else to a 4 plane (plus 2 helicopter) DZ with a lift capacity of around 270 slots an hour. With over 200 jumpers registered it is a little more than our typical weekend and it is not an atmosphere that most students feel comfortable in since in the middle of their landing field we park a tractor trailer and all the equipment for a 30 minute fireworks show. :)
I'll be out this entire weekend and I'm easy to find. Feel free to introduce yourself to me and my family.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

GooniesKid

Helping out? For free? A great man once told me, "if you're good at something, never do it for free".

I like quotes... "it is better to be thought of as an idiot... than to open your mouth (or dz.com forum reply function) and remove all doubt" Abraham Lincoln.

:S
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

NWFlyer

***so let me get this straight they do not let students jump at their own dz during a boogie? Serious question I have never been to a boogie before.

Sometimes, yeah.

Couple common reasons.

1) There's increased activity at the DZ, with multiple planes, jump runs stacked on top of each other, etc., and the dropzone has just decided it's simpler not to try to add student operations into that mix. Dropzones restrict a lot of things during boogies that they allow normally, because of the added complexity that multiple aircraft can add. Doesn't mean it can't be done safely, they've just chosen to keep the equation simpler.

2) They want to give their staff a chance to play at the boogie, so rather than relying on them to work with students, they're given the opportunity to have fun while there's special aircraft, organizers, friends in from out of town, etc.

I will definitely add to the chorus of voices encouraging the OP to volunteer - DZs need more support during the boogie, and chances are they will welcome more volunteers to help out. A lot of what's needed at a boogie doesn't require any special skills or skydiving experience, but will be a great way for you to be at the dropzone and meet people.

Ignore her comments. :/ she has no idea what she's taking about...

Jvx

******so let me get this straight they do not let students jump at their own dz during a boogie? Serious question I have never been to a boogie before.

Sometimes, yeah.

Couple common reasons.

1) There's increased activity at the DZ, with multiple planes, jump runs stacked on top of each other, etc., and the dropzone has just decided it's simpler not to try to add student operations into that mix. Dropzones restrict a lot of things during boogies that they allow normally, because of the added complexity that multiple aircraft can add. Doesn't mean it can't be done safely, they've just chosen to keep the equation simpler.

2) They want to give their staff a chance to play at the boogie, so rather than relying on them to work with students, they're given the opportunity to have fun while there's special aircraft, organizers, friends in from out of town, etc.

I will definitely add to the chorus of voices encouraging the OP to volunteer - DZs need more support during the boogie, and chances are they will welcome more volunteers to help out. A lot of what's needed at a boogie doesn't require any special skills or skydiving experience, but will be a great way for you to be at the dropzone and meet people.

Ignore her comments. :/ she has no idea what she's taking about...

Care to clarify exactly how I have no idea what I'm talking about? I shared what I've observed at some dropzones I've jumped at but I'm happy to be enlightened. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah...this boogie kept the AFF folks out of the air for all those reasons...and I think it led to a happier event for everyone.

I did end up going...and it was a blast. Took kiddo with me Saturday, but got rained out of any possibility of jumping. Still, we did have a great time trying to stay dry, talking to folks, listening to stories. Since it was a funky weather lull (everybody pretty much checked in, Manifest getting a chance to catch their breath, jumpers chilling), didn't really get a chance to show off my excellent volunteer skills...but we were impressed by the way this place handles a large, multi-day event.

So we headed up for the crack-of-dawn load today, and were able to get on the one plane that squeezed up through a hole in the early clouds. Kiddo was fascinated by the change in vibe between Saturday afternoon/evening, and early Sunday. And her tandem? She absolutely adored that. I also loved my chill-out tandem, and my TI did a great job turning it into a great learning jump...nice to reset my head, as I plan to be back to working through the rest of my AFF, hopefully this week.

It was a good weekend. Got to talk to some folks. Got to learn some stuff. And my kid got to jump out of an airplane with me!

frogerina

It was a good weekend. Got to talk to some folks. Got to learn some stuff. And my kid got to jump out of an airplane with me!

Sounds fabulous to me B|
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

Sounds like NWFlyer was right about AFF students not jumping at this boogie. Just wanted to put that out there in case you wanted to apologize. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon