niwotskydiver

UPT micron new main closing loop attachment point????

WHAT THE HECK!!! Has anyone seen a bran new micron the closing loop is just like a jav!!!!!! It took me a min to change the closing loop out it's in such a crap spot they told me it was because of a wrinkle in the rig they did not like and I guess r and d found this was was better first of I'm mad because I ordered a twin of a rig igot a yearanf a half ago it has the closing loop on the bottom flap :-) nowmynewrig isnotthesamethey did not tell me they did not give me a chance to get it like the old one so i was pissed when I got it today to find it all javelin like so what the he'll anyone anyone feel me on this

WHAT THE HECK!!! Has anyone seen a bran new micron the closing loop is just like a jav!!!!!! It took me a min to change the closing loop out it's in such a crap spot they told me it was because of a wrinkle in the rig they did not like and I guess r and d found this was was better first of I'm mad because I ordered a twin of a rig igot a yearanf a half ago it has the closing loop on the bottom flap :-) nowmynewrig isnotthesamethey did not tell me they did not give me a chance to get it like the old one so i was pissed when I got it today to find it all javelin like so what the he'll anyone anyone feel me on this

I like the old style, the new one is probably safer if you're intending on putting a smaller canopy than the rig was designed for.

If you're really THAT upset about it, ask them to change it, get a master rigger to change it, so on and so forth.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

They changed it because it made the rig look better? Got rid of some wrinkle they told me over the phone

I will get it fixed I'm just mad at the waythey did this all snikey i order a copy of a rig that dose not wabi want all this new crap I want what I already had further more they don't have anything in there manual or on there sit about it so I'm sum 25 jump wunder with cash get this and see the manual I could close that all wrong so ya I am mad pants

They changed it because it made the rig look better? Got rid of some wrinkle they told me over the phone

I will get it fixed I'm just mad at the waythey did this all snikey i order a copy of a rig that dose not wabi want all this new crap I want what I already had further more they don't have anything in there manual or on there sit about it so I'm sum 25 jump wunder with cash get this and see the manual I could close that all wrong so ya I am mad pants

You edited that? :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm pretty sure the reason for the change is to make the containers safer by using the tension of the main in the pack tray as pressure for the closing loop.

If you feel you want to go back to the way it was, just have someone change it. I kinda like the old way better, but my V3 doesn't have the new one, so I haven't worked with it much. It does give you a more secure main closing though IMO.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

While last year's (Micron) closing loop anchor is more idiot-proof, I prefer the older (Vector 1) style loop-anchor because it allows a greater range of sizes of main canopies without worrying about the pin being loose.

IOW the disadvantage with (last year's) Micron loop anchor is that it only allows one or two sizes of main canopy.

While last year's (Micron) closing loop anchor is more idiot-proof, I prefer the older (Vector 1) style loop-anchor because it allows a greater range of sizes of main canopies without worrying about the pin being loose.

IOW the disadvantage with (last year's) Micron loop anchor is that it only allows one or two sizes of main canopy.

I find it odd that they would tell him that it was for aesthetic reasons though. The change makes sense to us, but why tell him something different?

Really it was a lot of spelling wrong in there sorry I suck u get if that's y I don't go to school j just throw drouges and swoop my ass off grow up [:/]

It made it look better just like using punctuation makes the written word look better. Can you say readable? You are the one that needs to grow up.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I find it odd that they would tell him that it was for aesthetic reasons though. The change makes sense to us, but why tell him something different?

UPT probably did change the design for aesthetic reasons.

I would see that as only a disadvantage if you bought the wrong sized container to start with.
I also prefer the former loops placement. it does not have a wrinkling effect on my rig, but i didnt buy the wrong sized rig for my canopies
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I doubt it is because of a 'wrinkle'. The new spot is a better place for the closing loop and allows alot more flexibility as to what will fit. I guarantee you they were hearing too much about unintended closing pins coming out because if you put too small of a canopy in the old style containers the tension on the pin can be very low. It also prevents that crooked look on the main flaps so overall I think it's a good improvement.

I doubt it is because of a 'wrinkle'. The new spot is a better place for the closing loop and allows alot more flexibility as to what will fit. I guarantee you they were hearing too much about unintended closing pins coming out because if you put too small of a canopy in the old style containers the tension on the pin can be very low. It also prevents that crooked look on the main flaps so overall I think it's a good improvement.

If you can’t shorten the loop enough to put tension on the pin the canopy is too small for the container….period.

Sparky

If you can’t shorten the loop enough to put tension on the pin the canopy is too small for the container….period.

Sparky

Thats the point I was making. But I know plenty of jumpers who know that too and just dont care. I packed for many years and saw allll kinds of fubar rigs. Loose vector loops or too long vector loops are common.

Sparky

Thats the point I was making. But I know plenty of jumpers who know that too and just dont care. I packed for many years and saw allll kinds of fubar rigs. Loose vector loops or too long vector loops are common.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/FixStupid.jpg

Sparky

I'm posting this a couple of places, bear with me,....

I dug this one up because of a couple of concerns about Vectors (VIII, Microns,) that I have seen lately...

The offset is to ensure that the final flap, the pin protector, the top flap, etc,... fit's into its' pocket.

I have seen a couple of V3's with smaller than design main canopies installed and the users have drastically shortened the main closing loop. Consequenses of this were that the "Main pin cover" gets pinched by the side flaps. One container had visible indentations on both the main pin flap cover and the piping on the left and right side flaps.

To me this begs the question, that this increases the potential for a PC in tow if you have an unstable opening.

The other thing I witnessed of late, regarding the fact that on these containers the grommets are not designed to line up, was the fact that some packers, in the effort to get the grommets to line up,...shortened the closing loop....there was no washer on the loop, (it wasn't necessary,) and the closing loop promptly pulled thru when the container was thrown on the rack hitting the side of the container...This could have happened in the aircraft! The well intentioned individuals thought that the tension was too loose on the closing loop!!! So they shortened it, no washer, dosent need a washer with the low tension when everything is properly sized. Double overhand knot, or I use a triple overhand knot on my closing loop. Or get a washer and make sure to check it for wear on a regular basis...

Anyways with the increased tension caused by the shorter loop, it pulled thru its' grommet....

"We wanted it to look normal..." was what the person said regarding the fact that they didn't understand why the grommets didn't line up!

The UPT manual states that the closing loop should be adjusted to no more than 12 lbs of force max! But the min is left up to the user, the min force is enough to keep everything in its place. There is no real recommended min pin force for the main loop.

As you can see, if you use a non-recommended size main for your particular Micron or V3 you run some risks that may in fact affect performance.

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

A simple test is to try and lift the rig by the main bridle. If you can lift the (12 to 52 pound) rig by the main bridle, the loop is too tight.
As for trying to line up the main grommets on a Vector III ... Hah!
Hah!
... that is an impossible task.
Just close it so that it resembles the pictures in the manual.

Hi Rob, on a Vector III, the grommet on the main protector flap is offset on purpose. The closing loop length is correct and so is the tension if the bidind tape of the left flap overlaps the binding tape of the right flap.B|

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Interestingly enough, I put in a call to UPT's main office a couple days ago (before I saw this thread) and asked why the change. They told me the change was cosmetic/aesthetic only and not functional. I find it strange that they still have not addressed the change in their published V3M/Micron O&M online.