JerryBaumchen

Criminals

40 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Criminals gotta do what they gotta do:  Oregon prisoner who received compassionate release during COVID-19 returned to life of crime within days - oregonlive.com

One thing about prison:  A couple of hots & a cot every day.

Jerry Baumchen

Within days?  I can name someone who  is fined for contempt,  and does it again the same evening.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Criminals gotta do what they gotta do:  Oregon prisoner who received compassionate release during COVID-19 returned to life of crime within days - oregonlive.com

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Within days?  I can name someone who  is fined for contempt,  and does it again the same evening.

Merica, everyone is equal before the law.

Finland, Home of the $103,000 Speeding Ticket  "in Finland, some traffic fines, as well as fines for shoplifting and violating securities-exchange laws, are assessed based on earnings...Reima Kuisla, a Finnish businessman, was recently caught going 65 miles per hour in a 50 zone in his home country...they pinged a federal taxpayer database to determine his income, consulted their handbook, and arrived at the amount that he was required to pay: €54,000."

Yeah, equal justice for all.Did everyone hear about the judge that trump appointed in the documents case. Now postponing the trial indefinably and the MAGA base screams that justice is unfair.

On 5/8/2024 at 12:41 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Jerry Baumchen

Meaningless unless there is some data to show whether recidivism is up or down, and there appears to be no such data, which I find strange.

We track crime stats like mad at all kinds of levels, surely someone has extrapolated the recidivism there somewhere.

6 hours ago, tkhayes said:

Meaningless unless there is some data to show whether recidivism is up or down, and there appears to be no such data, which I find strange.

We track crime stats like mad at all kinds of levels, surely someone has extrapolated the recidivism there somewhere.

Problem is that every time a study finds that harsh prison conditions lead to higher recidivism rates the political response is "Well I guess we just didn't try hard enough yet!"

On 5/10/2024 at 7:09 AM, tkhayes said:

i was always advised not to ask questions if you don't want to hear the answers.

I've given this some thought recently.  I think there needs to be a line drawn depending upon the crime.  It's nearly impossible now to get a decent job if you've got a tail.  You're basically locked out if you have a record.  Not surprising many decide it's more convenient to return to incarceration.

• Like 2