nigel99

Saw something amazing

This weekend we planned some 8 way competition (didn't happen due to weather), but my team included our former CI who has about 10 000 jumps and another jumper who has somewhere over 6000 jumps.

During dirt diving our team captain, was giving advice on the exit. I saw both of those people take the advice without question, no arguing just attention and willingness to learn.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I'm envious of the level of sophistication it takes to know that, regardless of jump number, you can always learn something new from someone else. When my jump numbers begin to reach into the thousands, I hope I have the maturity and humbleness to understand that I'm not king of the mountain and that I still have much to learn about this great and multi-faceted sport.

nigel99

This weekend we planned some 8 way competition (didn't happen due to weather), but my team included our former CI who has about 10 000 jumps and another jumper who has somewhere over 6000 jumps.

During dirt diving our team captain, was giving advice on the exit. I saw both of those people take the advice without question, no arguing just attention and willingness to learn.

Not so amazing, neither of the 2 folks your are talking about would be current (even remotely) 8 way or 4 way jumpers
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

***This weekend we planned some 8 way competition (didn't happen due to weather), but my team included our former CI who has about 10 000 jumps and another jumper who has somewhere over 6000 jumps.

Not so amazing, neither of the 2 folks your are talking about would be current (even remotely) 8 way or 4 way jumpers

I know that, but how many skydivers do you know that are humble enough to take guidance without justification? Very very few in my experience.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

I know that, but how many skydivers do you know that are humble enough to take guidance without justification? Very very few in my experience.

I know lots :):ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm wondering what you mean by praising them for taking the advice, "without question" and "without justification". Can you please elaborate?

I can take advice, but I like to know WHY I'm being given that advice. If you tell me, "Exit this way", and I don't ask why, you're giving me a fish. I will know how to do that kind of exit the way that you taught me. If I ask why and you give an explanation of body position to the relative wind, and stability due to the angle of exit with other people attached to you or whatever, you're then teaching me how to fish. I can take that advice and adapt it to other kinds of exits and situations. Knowing WHY you're being told to do something is pretty important, in my opinion. I understand the "there's a time and place" argument, but from your wording I'm getting the impression that you're praising blind obedience and discouraging inquiry into the fundamentals behind it.

Or maybe I'm reading WAY too much into this.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

I'm wondering what you mean by praising them for taking the advice, "without question" and "without justification". Can you please elaborate?

I can take advice, but I like to know WHY I'm being given that advice. If you tell me, "Exit this way", and I don't ask why, you're giving me a fish. I will know how to do that kind of exit the way that you taught me. If I ask why and you give an explanation of body position to the relative wind, and stability due to the angle of exit with other people attached to you or whatever, you're then teaching me how to fish. I can take that advice and adapt it to other kinds of exits and situations. Knowing WHY you're being told to do something is pretty important, in my opinion. I understand the "there's a time and place" argument, but from your wording I'm getting the impression that you're praising blind obedience and discouraging inquiry into the fundamentals behind it.

Or maybe I'm reading WAY too much into this.

After 10k jumps you know why:P

What you normally see is people with higher jump numbers 'giving' the advice, without deferring to currency or expertise in a discipline. Yes the person coaching us has about 8k jumps.

Despite Squeaks comment, I can tell you many people commented on the attitude displayed by the 2 guys.

kallend

I'm a 68 year old engineering professor. It's an unusual semester that I don't learn something new from a student in one of my classes.

I'm an ER Doc, and learning how to take advice/criticism is the single biggest hindrance to improvement in medicine. Any time I'm "helped" by a colleague... I thank them and learn from it. Its the only way we get better. Hopefully we can see more of that :)
You are not the contents of your wallet.