JoeyH

Quick Question?

Just for curiosity sake.... What is a safe/okay wing loading for a student or lower level A license jumper. Just for shits and giggles, lets use the Sabre 2 for an example canopy. I don't want an answer like "Younger jumpers shouldn't be jumping this canopy" ect ect.... Just entertain the question. I just want to hear the opinions out there. This isn't for any real world purpose, just curious what ya think.
Carpe Diem, even if it kills me

From what I see, they usually seem to start out sub-1:1 (.75 or .8 to 1) and work their way down to 1:1 as the instructor determines they can handle it. How quickly they downsize depends on how the student and instructor feel about it. Most people seem to stick to 1:1 or a little less at least until they get their A.

I'm loading at a hair under 1.1:1 at a couple hundred jumps in and have no intention to change it anytime soon. I like to poke along and look at the scenery. If anything I wouldn't mind coming down slower. Or not at all. I could just slap a paraglider in my rig and fly to the next airport over...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Keep in mind that your canopy choice should also factor in potential density altitude and the DZ's elevation more so than just calculating wing-load out to 4 decimal places...

Mile-Hi on a hot, dry day is like landing your canopy at 7-8000ft and a cool day it's still over 5000ft.

The same canopy at say Spaceland (50ft MSL) or Elsinore (1250ft MSL) will fly like a boat when compared to landing it at Mile-Hi or a scorching hot afternoon in Eloy.

As to the OP's question, generally speaking a bigger Sabre 2 (anything 170 and up) will be quite docile when loaded around 1:1. Something like a Pulse, Spectre, or similar is going to be even more mellow at the same loading...
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Brian Germain has a very good wingload limts chart for all experience levels and sizes of jumpers. It addresses smaller and larger jumpers and the effects of that on wingloading (a very small person shouldn't be under a very small canopy, even at 1:1).

It's a good place to start.
You can find it as a sticky in the canopy/swooping forum.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It depends on your weight and your physical condition. What I can tell you so far is that the Sabre 2 is an all purposes canopy. It can be used for advanced jumpers at loading (1.2 to 1.5) but at some DZ, it is currently used at lower loading like 0.8 to 1.2 for advanced students and even very beginners at loading 0.8. Moreover, the Sabre 2 provides you with a very good flare.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

mattjw916

Keep in mind that your canopy choice should also factor in potential density altitude and the DZ's elevation more so than just calculating wing-load out to 4 decimal places...

Mile-Hi on a hot, dry day is like landing your canopy at 7-8000ft and a cool day it's still over 5000ft.

The same canopy at say Spaceland (50ft MSL) or Elsinore (1250ft MSL) will fly like a boat when compared to landing it at Mile-Hi or a scorching hot afternoon in Eloy.

As to the OP's question, generally speaking a bigger Sabre 2 (anything 170 and up) will be quite docile when loaded around 1:1. Something like a Pulse, Spectre, or similar is going to be even more mellow at the same loading...

Ooh, good point. My safire2/230 is probably going to fly like a school bus whenever I get around to visiting sea level.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?