stayhigh

Suunto Core??

Does anyone have any trouble with it??

Such as it doesn't show corrected altitude on the way up??

I've seen many Core units that will show 1500 to 2000 ft off at jump run.

Users all say it works under canopy, yet how do you trust it when it doesn't work in jump run??

Is that because they didn't lock the watch to altimeter setting or the new ones reads correctly??
Because I took my friends Suunto Core recently and that was the only Core that I've seen working properly at jump run.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Mine lags at freefly speeds. If you're tracking on your belly long enough before pull time it has a chance to catch back up. There have been a couple times where we pushed for that last dock resulting in a shorter breakoff/track and the alti didnt match the mental picture. (Didnt have time to catch up.)
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

Kat4821

At what point do you guys recommend picking one of these up? Im sure not a new skydiver should be looking at these, but what do you guys recommend?

We (at least I) do not recommend them. If someone wants to use one, it's up to them. It's a grown ass man/woman sport.
Remster

Kat4821

At what point do you guys recommend picking one of these up? Im sure not a new skydiver should be looking at these, but what do you guys recommend?

I would never recommend one, but I have one.

They have to be zeroed on every jumpday, and sometimes a few times during the day.
They lag and shows a higher altitude than you really are.
Because the buttons are on the sides, you could in a rare case accidently push a button and it will go to compass mode or something else.

I think if someone want's to use one the should be able to make a skydive without a altimeter, fly a reasonable pattern and land with some accuracy. You don't have to do a jump without one to prove that you can, but you should be mentaly prepaired for it.
And I think you should have a audible if you want to use it.

In my opinion, there is no good reason to get one of those over a VISO or Neptune.
I know the VISO can show the time, and I think the Neptune can do it too.
So what else is there in the Core? A compass? Do you need it during the skydive?
Also cost wise they are about the same.

However the VISO and Neptune has some features you might need such as logbook and fallrates.

This is my opinion, and it might differ from someone elses.
In skydiving I see them as "gimmicks", with very little value.
But I have used it a few times during BASEjumps not that I rely on the watch (I have a laser too) but it's nice to have a "altitude".

Remster

***At what point do you guys recommend picking one of these up? Im sure not a new skydiver should be looking at these, but what do you guys recommend?

We (at least I) do not recommend them. If someone wants to use one, it's up to them. It's a grown ass man/woman sport.

^^^^
What he said. If you want an altimeter buy one. Screw the “cool” factor and get the right tool for the job. [:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

stayhigh

There is a lock button on the Core to prevent from switching modes.

I did not know this.
Or maybe I once knew and now forgott, but it still does not change my opinion about it beeing more problematic to use than the reward of having it in skydiving.

Even with this "Lock" feature, you have to "unlock it", zero it, and then "lock it" once or more times a day.
The altimeters do it automatically.

mjosparky

******At what point do you guys recommend picking one of these up? Im sure not a new skydiver should be looking at these, but what do you guys recommend?

^^^^
What he said. If you want an altimeter buy one. Screw the “cool” factor and get the right tool for the job. [:/]

Sparky

Sparky, I agree man! Just thought I'd ask.

Kat4821

*********At what point do you guys recommend picking one of these up? Im sure not a new skydiver should be looking at these, but what do you guys recommend?

^^^^

Sparky

Sparky, I agree man! Just thought I'd ask.

:)

I've worn one on about 200 jumps, the cons are the display can be hard to read in certain light conditions, also mine lags by about 500' in freefall unless you point it into the relative wind.

The pros are very accurate under canopy and very little hassle overall.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

Kat4821

I would recommend using one when you arent really using a normal alti. when you can use spatial reference points to see how high up you are. dont rely on this unit.

Saying that, i like mine a lot. i've used for a little bit now with no problem. i did return the white on black tactical version b/c i could not read that for shit while skydiving. i even use mine for wingsuiting
IHYD

Jbag

***At what point do you guys recommend picking one of these up? Im sure not a new skydiver should be looking at these, but what do you guys recommend?

I would recommend using one when you arent really using a normal alti. when you can use spatial reference points to see how high up you are. dont rely on this unit.

Saying that, i like mine a lot. i've used for a little bit now with no problem. i did return the white on black tactical version b/c i could not read that for shit while skydiving. i even use mine for wingsuiting

Where would you carry it on a wingsuit dive? :S

Sparky

mjosparky

******At what point do you guys recommend picking one of these up? Im sure not a new skydiver should be looking at these, but what do you guys recommend?

I wrap mine aroung the chest strap and a water bottle for wing suit.

Sparky
BASE 1519

wasatchrider

*********At what point do you guys recommend picking one of these up? Im sure not a new skydiver should be looking at these, but what do you guys recommend?

I wrap mine aroung the chest strap and a water bottle for wing suit.

Sparky

Would that be something like this, which is good for every type of skydive.

Sparky

Jbag

just like the picture, on my wrist. i push it fwd and it sits outside of the sleeve. i just rotate my wrist forward and look at it.

If you mean what is on my right wrist, that is a watch. I was referring to the altimeter mounted on my right mud flap. It is on a leather mount that I made and wore it in the same place for 20 years.

How can you see a watch altimeter on your wrist during a wing suit jump? Seems like it would be a little awkward.

Sparky

Boogers

***Attachments: Screen Shot 2013-08-14 at 6.24.09 PM.jpg (125 KB)

Sebastian?

you bet!

I use a N3 as my audible also, and would not recommend the core's use without a backup/audible.

If you are only buying it to skydive, then I would say invest in something to more skydive-specific. I use my core as a work-watch (military), and the compass/barometer for long-range shooting. In my case, I can kill quite a few birds with one stone.

What I've found.
Since i was having trouble with my new Core and I was wondering what the refresh rate was on the screen of Core while in Altimeter mode.

The refresh interval of the displayed altitude value depends on vertical speed. The displayed altitude is refreshed at 1s when vertical speed is bigger that 30m/min, 5s when vertical speed is bigger than 10m/min and 10s when bigger than 5m/min.

Suunto Vector doesn't seem to have this algorithm built into it, Core does, So therefore if you sit in breaks under canopy, Core will refresh the screen every 5 or 10 seconds.

Some paraglider came up with this same issue as well and as for the remedy goes, you turn on your altimeter logbook and make sure the recording interval is at every seconds, and it will work for 30 mins.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016