2 2
brenthutch

EVs, Aspirations vs Reality

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

To answer your question, the pollution comes from all of the diesel generators when rainbows and unicorn farts are unable to keep up with demand.

Not so connected to reality, are you.

2 minutes ago, billvon said:

Not so connected to reality, are you.

“We have long been concerned about the proliferation of diesel backup generators here in the Bay Area, as highlighted in this report,” said Jack Broadbent, executive officer of the Bay Area Air Quality Management District. “Emissions from these backup generators can harm local residents, regional air quality and the global climate. This is particularly true in communities already overburdened by air pollution and the Air District is actively pursuing regulations to curb this pollution.”

This pollution, in turn, may trigger upwards of $31.8 million in annual health costs in the Bay Area and $103.9 million in South Coast communities, due to increases in mortalities, heart attacks, hospital visits and other adverse consequences – particularly in vulnerable communities.”

Here is some reality for you.

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Here is some reality for you.

Still no numbers there, just because someone says they're a problem doesn't mean they're THE main source.

"The majority (42 percent) of the pollutants that contribute to ozone formation in San Diego County come from tailpipe emissions from MOTOR VEHICLES." (Source: https://www.iqair.com/usa/california/san-diego)

Emphasis added again since reality doesn't seem to be getting to you.

Just now, olofscience said:

Still no numbers there, just because someone says they're a problem doesn't mean they're THE main source.

"The majority (42 percent) of the pollutants that contribute to ozone formation in San Diego County come from tailpipe emissions from MOTOR VEHICLES." (Source: https://www.iqair.com/usa/california/san-diego)

Emphasis added again since reality doesn't seem to be getting to you.

Apparently you don’t know the difference between San Diego and San Francisco :rofl:

(edited)
7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Apparently you don’t know the difference between San Diego and San Francisco :rofl:

I'm sure I do:

10 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That is odd as State College PA (right in the heart of coal and fracking country) has better air quality than San Diego 

"The majority (42 percent) of the pollutants that contribute to ozone formation in San Diego County come from tailpipe emissions from motor vehicles." (Source: https://www.iqair.com/usa/california/san-diego)

Emphasis changed because Brent's getting confused about what he said.

Edited by olofscience

5 minutes ago, olofscience said:

I'm sure I do:

"The majority (42 percent) of the pollutants that contribute to ozone formation in San Diego County come from tailpipe emissions from motor vehicles." (Source: https://www.iqair.com/usa/california/san-diego)

Emphasis changed because Brent's getting confused about what he said.

Now you are making excuses for San Diego’s poor air quality [cry]

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

Now you are making excuses for San Diego’s poor air quality [cry]

That's even worse, you've just said that San Diego's air pollution comes from diesel generators, then provided a quote saying that diesel generators in the Bay Area are starting to become a problem.

Which means, you actually STILL haven't answered my question on where the air pollution in San Diego comes from :rofl:

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

Which means, you actually STILL haven't answered my question on where the air pollution in San Diego comes from :rofl:

Waiting for "it's Biden's/Taylor Swift's/Al Gore's jet that is causing all that pollution!  So much for saving the environment!"

(edited)
7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Bottom line, we have better air quality and cheaper electricity from fossil fuels than San Diego with all of its solar panels , windmills and EVs. That will make you butt hurt but those are the facts. 

You mean, bottom line I’ve noticed how transparently stupid your point is and now you’re really embarrassed about it?

Small rural town has cleaner air than million-city? Wow! Whoever could have predicted that?

Now seriously, take your troll hat off and (if you’ve got one) put your normal person hat on and answer this. Which place do you honestly think has more gas powered SUVs and Pickups, State College or San Diego?

Edited by jakee

7 hours ago, billvon said:

Waiting for "it's Biden's/Taylor Swift's/Al Gore's jet that is causing all that pollution!  So much for saving the environment!"

Actually I get it now, why Brent keeps calling wind turbines "windmills"! Those wind turbines aren't generating electricity, they're milling grain! And that milled grain dust is causing all the particulate pollution in San Diego!

(edited)

From WebMD

The ten cities with the worst air pollution in America include:

Los Angeles CA #1

Bakersfield CA

Visalia CA

Fresno CA

Sacramento CA 

San Diego CA 

San Francisco CA

BillV didn’t you mention something about California’s air quality compared to “less developed” states?

I’m sure Olof will try to blame Mexico 

BTW Pennsylvania has a higher population density than California, we get the majority of our electricity from fossil fuels and our air is still cleaner.

Edited by brenthutch
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

What are you going to blame?

Much of this pollution is attributed to the Valley’s topography, meteorology, two major highways, and intensive agricultural uses. In 2011, the major sources of air pollution in the San Joaquin Valley were heavy duty trucks, other mobile sources, autos and light trucks, and fuel combustion from stationary sources.

(edited)
22 minutes ago, jakee said:

What are you going to blame?

Much of this pollution is attributed to the Valley’s topography, meteorology, two major highways, and intensive agricultural uses. In 2011, the major sources of air pollution in the San Joaquin Valley were heavy duty trucks, other mobile sources, autos and light trucks, and fuel combustion from stationary sources.

Yeah…that makes sense until you realize PA also has farms, major highways heavy duty trucks, cars, SUVs, pick up trucks and “fuel combustion from stationary sources”  California’s air quality should be improving from its declining population if nothing else.

Edited by brenthutch

Let’s get back on track.

“On Tuesday Tesla, the world’s largest EV maker, reported that its adjusted earnings plunged 48% in the first quarter as revenue fell 9%, after it reported the first year-over-year drop in sales since the pandemic.”

26 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Yeah…that makes sense until you realize PA also has farms, major highways heavy duty trucks, cars, SUVs, pick up trucks and “fuel combustion from stationary sources”  California’s air quality should be improving from its declining population if nothing else.

So you didn't read or didn't understand the first sentence?

And as is customary, you seem to be arguing against your own points. You just tried to blame Bay Area pollution on diesel generators, now you're trying to claim that burning diesel has no impact on air quality. Do you have any point that you're trying to make right now, or are you just throwing as much random crap in as many random directions as possible to avoid acknowledging the utter nonsense that is your central position?

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

You: 2023 won't even be in the top 5 warmest years

Me: Brent will ignore my question on where San Diego's air pollution comes from

You're STILL proving me right :rofl:

(edited)
50 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Yeah…that makes sense until you realize PA also has farms, major highways heavy duty trucks, cars, SUVs, pick up trucks and “fuel combustion from stationary sources”

And you keep failing to address my argument - it's not the existence of farms, highways, trucks, cars, and SUVs.

It's HOW MUCH FOSSIL FUEL each state burns. It seems numbers are just too difficult for you.

Edited by olofscience

(edited)
1 hour ago, olofscience said:

And you keep failing to address my argument - it's not the existence of farms, highways, trucks, cars, and SUVs.

It's HOW MUCH FOSSIL FUEL each state burns. It seems numbers are just too difficult for you.

It’s also a function of size as well, among other factors. (You seem to be flummoxed by the whole multi variable thing)

Edited by brenthutch

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It’s also a function of size as well, among other factors. (You seem to be flummoxed by the whole multi variable thing)

Lol right. So when Bill said use of renewables was improving air quality in California and you said ‘well PA burns loads of fossil fuel and the air in the small town of Nowheresville is more betterer!!’ that was because you understand the multitude of variables that makes major Californian cities different to small PA towns?

Sure, that sounds totally believable and consistent.