bootlegtrader

Does anyone actually use a 99 sq/ft reserve?

Why would you use a reserve so much larger than your main?

Not ME personally mind you, but I know several guys with smaller mains than that and they never talk about their reserves. So though it seems like a trollish question, it actually isn't.

Me personally, I like my big-ass canopy and I have other plans than being a swooper. So I don't foresee a future where I'd ever have to worry about it. I'm just curious.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Because the touch down speed with proper piloting on a rectangular, low aspect ratio, conventionally constructed reserve is so much higher than a modern skydiving main of the same size. A 150 reserve landing isn't out of line with a 105-109 square foot elliptical like a Cross Fire 2, Katana, or Samurai and smaller cross-braced canopy.

Because you don't have to land your main with a broken leg which would make a fast landing hard or dislocated shoulder that would mean not flying with both arms, although if you're not going to land your main you will be using your reserve.

Because you could get knocked out and land unconscious under your reserve after an AAD opening and appreciate having fewer injuries after you woke up.

Because your chances of landing into the wind in a large, flat, wide-open field are much lower when you start at reserve opening altitudes following malfunctions.

Because a small rig makes your ass look big and as a normal size person smaller isn't much benefit once it fits in an airline-legal roll-aboard.

In my fun rig I have a 105 main and PD143 which measures 151 square feet the PIA way.

If you have gone to your reserve you are already in trouble. At that point you want to have the biggest canopy possible above you. I have never heard a jumper land and say “damn I wish I had a smaller reserve”.
If someone jumps a 99 sq. ft. reserve they are prepared to accept the added risk or they don’t understand the possible consequences. I sure it has happened but I can’t remember hearing of anyone landing a 99 sq. ft. reserve. (Other than the test jumps)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I always joke that if you have a reserve parachute that has your wing-loading at 1.3+, then you do not need an AAD.

Given that the AAD is there to save you (supposedly unconscious), then landing a small reserve, unconscious, brakes set, no flare, possibly downwind, is likely not survivable anyway.

The right size reserve might actually be the difference between scraps/bruises/beat up and massive blunt force trauma.

tkhayes

I always joke that if you have a reserve parachute that has your wing-loading at 1.3+, then you do not need an AAD.

Given that the AAD is there to save you (supposedly unconscious), then landing a small reserve, unconscious, brakes set, no flare, possibly downwind, is likely not survivable anyway.

The right size reserve might actually be the difference between scraps/bruises/beat up and massive blunt force trauma.

There's a lot of truth in that, but there are a few instances where a jumper knocked out either on exit or in freefall woke up under an open reserve.
Shook out the cobwebs an landed safely.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

tkhayes

I always joke...

A lot of people make that joke but as I've said, it's neither a good argument for not having an AAD if your reserve is loaded higher than 1.3:1 nor is it a good argument to not bother getting as big a reserve as you can just because you can't get below 1.3:1, and that's "not big enough."

It's one of those "truthy" jokes that people base stupid decisions on.