1 1
brenthutch

Rough week for lefties

12 hours ago, billvon said:

Sorry, your cause is failing fast.  You can support all the backlash and whitelash you like - but in the long term, your cause always loses.

The global push for gay rights around the world has been a long, slow struggle – in some Middle Eastern and African countries, for example, same-sex acts today can bring the death penalty. But public acceptance is increasing, even in culturally conservative countries, according to a global study released on Thursday.

People in the United States, India, South Africa, Japan, South Korea and Mexico have registered the largest gains in public acceptance with gay rights since 2002, according to findings released from the nonpartisan Pew Research Center.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2020-06-25/lgbtq-acceptance-growing-in-us-and-other-countries-over-time

Ninety-four percent of U.S. adults now approve of marriages between Black people and White people, up from 87% in the prior reading from 2013. The current figure marks a new high in Gallup's trend, which spans more than six decades. Just 4% approved when Gallup first asked the question in 1958.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/354638/approval-interracial-marriage-new-high.aspx

What does any of that have to do with stopping Biden’s student loan forgiveness scheme or ending systemic race base discrimination?

16 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

What does any of that have to do with stopping Biden’s student loan forgiveness scheme or ending systemic race base discrimination?

At least the GOP has dropped all pretext of the "compassionate conservative".

5 hours ago, olofscience said:

Brent's not here to discuss anything guys.

So no different from GOP senators or house members.

No different from the conservative majority on the bench. They sit in a building that features "Lady Justice with her hand holding the scales to weigh evidence. But its all a sham. No evidence need be weighed. Christian-conservative ideology rules the argument with its heavy boot on the scale.

29 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

So no different from GOP senators or house members.

No different from the conservative majority on the bench. They sit in a building that features "Lady Justice with her hand holding the scales to weigh evidence. But its all a sham. No evidence need be weighed. Christian-conservative ideology rules the argument with its heavy boot on the scale.

I am reminded of the scene in Blazing Saddles where Hedley Lamar (Harvey Korman) is fondling the 'Lady Liberty' statue while planning the 'Land Snatch' of Rock Ridge.

This was supposed to be comedy.

Not super funny when it's real.

47 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I am reminded of the scene in Blazing Saddles where Hedley Lamar (Harvey Korman) is fondling the 'Lady Liberty' statue while planning the 'Land Snatch' of Rock Ridge.

This was supposed to be comedy.

Not super funny when it's real.

Ah the impossible  juxtaposition of integrity together with a christian-conservative court. Its like the lays of physics and perhaps our own physics professor can weigh in. Two physical bodies can't occupy the same space at the same time.

What in particular has you guys so hysterical? Student loans?  That was a massive overreach by the executive, widely viewed as unconstitutional.  Religious liberty? It’s enshrined in the first amendment, pretty straightforward. Systemic race based discrimination? Obviously a violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment. Some of you folks are going on about gay marriage and interracial relationships. I saw nothing of the sort. So what gives?

Religious liberty means that I can't make you worship in a way you don't believe, or require your belief in a particular set of things in order to buy from my business. It doesn't mean that I have to conform my behavior to your religion's expectations. If you're a Kosher butcher, that doesn't mean you can refuse to sell to non-Jews, or to Muslims. How did the imagined gay website requester impede the self-described Christian website designer (who didn't actually design for others) from practicing her religion? Shouldn't cases like that be based on actual facts, and not just on "well, here's what I imagine?"

And how do you think the fact of systemic racism in the past affects people whose antecedents (and by that I mean parents and grandparents) didn't have the opportunities to buy property that would appreciate as well as those of whites; those whose antecedents didn't have the opportunity to get VA educational benefits; those whose antecedents were relegated to inferior schools and subsistence jobs? Or is it just "tough shit, everyone has a problem, yours are worse because of our history, so just suck it?"

Wendy P.

54 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Religious liberty means that I can't make you worship in a way you don't believe, or require your belief in a particular set of things in order to buy from my business. It doesn't mean that I have to conform my behavior to your religion's expectations. If you're a Kosher butcher, that doesn't mean you can refuse to sell to non-Jews, or to Muslims. 

Wendy P.

How about if a bunch of red necks demanded of that Kosher butcher to prepare a bunch of hogs for their barbecue?

20 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

How about if a bunch of red necks demanded of that Kosher butcher to prepare a bunch of hogs for their barbecue?

Is that like the rednecks who used to run pig races outside the mosque in southeast Houston after 9/11?

A kosher butcher doesn't sell pork. A fish store doesn't sell beef. A vegetable store doesn't sell meat.

Wendy P.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

What in particular has you guys so hysterical? Student loans?  That was a massive overreach by the executive, widely viewed as unconstitutional.  Religious liberty? It’s enshrined in the first amendment, pretty straightforward. Systemic race based discrimination? Obviously a violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment. Some of you folks are going on about gay marriage and interracial relationships. I saw nothing of the sort. So what gives?

If you're going to pretend to be too stupid to understand how anybody would take issue with these rulings, why the fuck do you think anybody's going to engage as if you're acting in good faith?  Your go-to moves are to play dumb and then, if presented with a direct question, you point out a squirrel/deflection and hope people.....forget?  

• Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Is that like the rednecks who used to run pig races outside the mosque in southeast Houston after 9/11?

A kosher butcher doesn't sell pork. A fish store doesn't sell beef. A vegetable store doesn't sell meat.

Wendy P.

What if the pigs were brought to the kosher butcher, and he was the only butcher around?  Do his religious beliefs outweigh the needs of the red necks (or Nazis) to enjoy tasty ribs and some tantalizing pulled pork?

Edited by brenthutch

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Be the same as if a bunch of gay people went in to a paint store and demanded that the paint store sell them sushi.  Not an issue.

38 minutes ago, billvon said:

Be the same as if a bunch of gay people went in to a paint store and demanded that the paint store sell them sushi.  Not an issue.

Or a bunch of gay people wanted a gay themed website and the web designer did not sell gay themed websites anymore than a paint store sells sushi.

17 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Or a bunch of gay people wanted a gay themed website and the web designer did not sell gay themed websites anymore than a paint store sells sushi.

No, that's not at all parallel.  A gay website takes exactly the same resources/work/coding as the straight website, just as gray paint uses exactly the same base (and handling, and application) as white paint.  Just the details are different.

But of course you know that, and are just trolling.

(edited)
13 minutes ago, billvon said:

No, that's not at all parallel.  A gay website takes exactly the same resources/work/coding as the straight website, just as gray paint uses exactly the same base (and handling, and application) as white paint.  Just the details are different.

But of course you know that, and are just trolling.

Just like butchering a pig is no different than butchering a lamb. Or making a halal butcher process non-halal chicken. It takes exactly the same resources/work/butchering as a halal chicken.

But you know that and you are just being obtuse.

Edited by brenthutch

44 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Just like butchering a pig is no different than butchering a lamb. Or making a halal butcher process non-halal chicken. It takes exactly the same resources/work/butchering as a halal chicken.

One is asking a business to provide the services the advertise to any perspective client.  The other is bringing in raw materials that the business doesn't normally carry, and demanding that they process them because.....America?  

P.S. I'm no butcher, but I'm pretty sure that there are some differences between butchering pigs vs lamb...not that I expect you to appreciate details.

27 minutes ago, lippy said:

One is asking a business to provide the services the advertise to any perspective client.  The other is bringing in raw materials that the business doesn't normally carry, and demanding that they process them because.....America?  

P.S. I'm no butcher, but I'm pretty sure that there are some differences between butchering pigs vs lamb...not that I expect you to appreciate details.

So how about compelling an Imam to perform a gay wedding?

(edited)
4 minutes ago, lippy said:

How many Imams you know who would refuse if asked?

All of them

but that is not the point now is it?  If they refused on religious grounds should the state compel them do do so anyway?

“Your go-to moves are to play dumb and then, if presented with a direct question, you point out a squirrel/deflection…” 

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Sort of, defiling a butcher shop with non-halal meat and offal might cause an actual transfer of material that cannot be absolutely avoided. Of course, it's still absolute bullshit but like not grinding peanut flour in a grist mill for allergy reasons there is a point to be made. The question is simply at what stage does society stop accommodating bullshit religious reasons for denying service to individuals simply because they belong to a group. Here we have a service offered to the public at large being denied to a group that has created no harm to society unless you believe that better restaurant service and better delicatessens are a harm. Also, let's not forget that they paid in equal measure for the infrastructure that made the website designers business possible including, but not limited to, creating the internet. And you have the undiluted gall to say Bill is being obtuse. 

• Like 1

(edited)
9 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

The question is simply at what stage does society stop accommodating bullshit religious reasons for denying service to individuals simply because they belong to a group. 

Should a Jewish printer be compelled to print flyers for a Nazi rally?

Edited by brenthutch

15 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

All of them

but that is not the point now is it?  If they refused on religious grounds should the state compel them do do so anyway?

“Your go-to moves are to play dumb and then, if presented with a direct question, you point out a squirrel/deflection…” 

I answered your hypothetical about Imam's performing a gay wedding with a direct question...."All of them" is a bs response.  A quick Googling would inform you that not all Imam's oppose same-sex weddings any more than all Priests/Pastors/Rabbis/Official Spaghetti-Monster Representatives do.  Your answer of "All of them" is just another demonstration of ignorance.

• Like 1