laudaksg

Aircraft Exit best practice/Body position for beginners

I've just done my AFF and learning to do a proper exit from the aircraft. Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong as the air flow throws me around in the opposite direction all the time, right after the exit, before I get a stable position. Which means I loose height.
Here's a short video of 3 exits, maybe you have some suggestions on what to do differently.
I'd appreciate if you could share some thoughts.

http://youtu.be/XIVML-tpBy0

You are not presenting you body to the relative wind properly. Think I have to get my chest and thighs into the relative wind on exit.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

laudaksg

I've just done my AFF and learning to do a proper exit from the aircraft. Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong as the air flow throws me around in the opposite direction all the time, right after the exit, before I get a stable position. Which means I loose height.
Here's a short video of 3 exits, maybe you have some suggestions on what to do differently.
I'd appreciate if you could share some thoughts.

http://youtu.be/XIVML-tpBy0

You have to jump "sideways", with the belly towards the front of the aircraft, not towards the ground.

propblast

Unrelated.

What plane is that?

Looks like an Antonov AN-2

On exit the relative wind comes from the front of the plane, not from below, so you need to point your hips toward the front of the plane, not the ground like you did on jump 1 in the video.

In the screen-cap you can see that you are presenting your side to the wind which is why you aren't very stable on the hill.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Like the others said, present your belly/chest/hips into the wind on exit. Wind on exit comes from the propellor(s) so front of the plane.

Look at this 4-way team, all 4 of them are presenting the front of their bodies to the relative wind in this picture:

[inline 40302_104821042908942_2011345_n.jpg]

Now compare this with yours, where you are presenting the SIDE of your body to the relative wind/front of the airplane:

[inline notpresenting.jpg]

Solution:
Don't look down/out when you exit. Keep looking at the plane/propeller when you exit. KEEP looking at the airplane for as long as possible (5 seonds or something) while in freefall.

Seen from inside the plane an exit into the relative wind looks like this:

[inline 1379932_591769507547424_658881027_n.jpg ]

While yours looks more like this:

[inline 1376313_591769500880758_1656375600_n.jpg ]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks a lot everyone, this makes a lot of sense. Very helpful.

So if I want to do the exit facing the operator (opposite direction of plane), I should't try to dive down, but rather jump to the side out the door and arch, so the body position would be with my back facing the propellers (relative wind). :) got it.

quite fun example pictures from dragon2 :)

maybe someone has an example video of a proper/correct plane exit when skydiver is facing operator? I was trying to search for one, but apparently I can't find the right keywords ...

laudaksg

Thanks a lot everyone, this makes a lot of sense. Very helpful.

So if I want to do the exit facing the operator (opposite direction of plane), I should't try to dive down, but rather jump to the side out the door and arch, so the body position would be with my back facing the propellers (relative wind). :) got it.

quite fun example pictures from dragon2 :)

maybe someone has an example video of a proper/correct plane exit when skydiver is facing operator? I was trying to search for one, but apparently I can't find the right keywords ...

You're still on coaching jumps aren't you? It's a great opportunity to talk to a coach about it!

Takes a while to wrap your head around the concept of relative wind. All my coaches on coaching jumps wanted to do linked exits, so I didn't really get a chance to get a good feel for it until I started doing solo jumps.

When you're getting out, don't really think "jump", especially if you're on a plane with a lower rear stabilizer. Think step. You just step to the side, open up and arch (All in one move.) Have your coach go over it in the practice rig.

I'm guessing part of the problem is the door's still making you nervous. It'll all get better with time!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?