BMAC615

Autonomous Caravan

7 hours ago, BMAC615 said:

Would be interesting if skydiving operations were automated/remotely piloted.

Since jump planes usually don't go very far from drop zone it's actually an easier prospect. Would need some updates on regulations though, I wonder how they would handle airfield diverts?Autonomous with remotely piloted backup, or remotely piloted with autonomous backup?

Either way this could reduce lift ticket costs, or increase dropzone profits, or both.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, olofscience said:

Either way this could reduce lift ticket costs, or increase dropzone profits, or both.

Somehow you think that a remote pilot would work for free and that the control systems would be cheaper than the stick and rudder in current use? Remote or autonomous flight with people on board will be insanely expensive.

37 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Somehow you think that a remote pilot would work for free and that the control systems would be cheaper than the stick and rudder in current use? Remote or autonomous flight with people on board will be insanely expensive.

No, I don't think they'll be cheaper. But they'll probably be lighter than a pilot and free up an additional (and probably revenue-generating) seat.

58 minutes ago, olofscience said:

No, I don't think they'll be cheaper. But they'll probably be lighter than a pilot and free up an additional (and probably revenue-generating) seat.

Maybe, but the real game changer will be robot TI's and packers. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, riggerrob said:

The French Army had a robotic packing machine a couple of decades ago. It performed canopy inspections because it did not get bored like humans.

Speaking of the French Army, only to escape moderation, why are we being driven to other outlets to be free of certain posters that are both idiotic and ridiculous? I get it that it is fun for jakee because he is jakee and BillVon because he's BillVon who doesn't want SC to become a liberal circle jerk but the way things play I'm ready to give myself another year off.