MokkNoir

Abbreviations

I’m new to the site and am trying to increase my knowledge about this incredible sport. However, I’m having a very difficult time trying to follow many of the posts because I have no idea what many of the abbreviations mean. I’ve search many times, but there is no list of abbreviations that I can find. So, I end up spending most of my time reading post after post trying to figure out what some abbreviation stands for.

BASEhead2528

What does DGIT mean? I keep seeing it

Dead Guy in Training
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

***What does DGIT mean? I keep seeing it

Dead Guy in Training

Which in turn would probably become a
"digit" (statistically )B|
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Here is my list of acronyms I used for translating from English to French. This includes few acronyms concerning our Canadian system but you should find most of the current ones used in North America.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

erdnarob

Here is my list of acronyms I used for translating from English to French. This includes few acronyms concerning our Canadian system but you should find most of the current ones used in North America.

Nice list. I'd prefer them in alphabetical order - it's hard to find something when they're all jumbled up random like that. Oh, and where in the heck is "Whuffo"? :P

BobParker

***Here is my list of acronyms I used for translating from English to French. This includes few acronyms concerning our Canadian system but you should find most of the current ones used in North America.

Nice list. I'd prefer them in alphabetical order - it's hard to find something when they're all jumbled up random like that. Oh, and where in the heck is "Whuffo"? :P

AAD - Automatic Activation Device/Petant d'ouverteur automatique

AFF - Accelerated (or accompanied) Freefall instructional method

AGM - Annual General Meeting of CSPA

Bridle - drisse

CSPA/ACPS - Canadian Sports Parachuting Association/ Association Canadien des Parachutistes Sportif

FAA - Federal Aviation Administration (USA government)

FAI - Federation Aeronautique Internationale _ civilian governing body for aero sports, base di Geneva, Switzerland

IAD - Instructor Assisted Deployment

MIL SPEC - Military Specification for quality control of parachute materials (fabrics, hardware, etc.)

PIA SPEC - Parachute Industry Association Specification that now takes the place of MIL SPECS
OSI - Opening Shock Inhibitor (last seen on 1970s-vintage Delta II canopy)

PIM - Parachutiste Information Manual éManuel)
d`ìnfromation des parachutists (published by CSPA)

pilot-chute - extracteur (European french)

pin - aguille

RA - Rigger A (CSPA)

RB - Rigger B (CSPA) (equivalent to FAA Master Rigger)

RI - Rigger Instructor (CSPA)

RE - Rigger Examiner (CSPA and FAA designation)

slider - glisseur

TC - Transport Canada

TI - tandem instructor (formerly tandem master or tandem pilot)

TE - tandem examiner examineur tandem

erdnarob

"" Petant d'ouverteur automatique""

What kind of french is that ????B|

I have proposed a while ago : DDA for : Dispositif de Déclenchement Automatique

"Petant" is Quebecouis slang for any gadget that you cannot remember the official term for.
... English translation "thingy"
Hah!
Hah!

Accuracy - now referred to as Precision Landing/Precision d-atterisage

AD - Airworthiness Directive - a used to be issued by the FAA demanding grounding and/or Special
Inspections. It has been a long time since one was issued.

blade-running - precursor to modern Canopy Piloting Competition (named for "Airblade" gates invented by Reggie Eastaugh)

bridle - drisse

CF - Canopy Formations/Formations des Voiles

CISM - Committee Internationale des Sports Militaire

canopy - voile (includes Canopy, slider, lines, diaper and manual according to PIA Technical Standard 102)

cutaway handle/3-Ring Release handle - poigne du liberation

CReW - Canopy Relative Work - now referred to as Canopy Formations

sit-flying - chute-assis, see Artistic Events

ZZZZZ - an combination of manuvers that you cannot remember names for

Hi Rob, I think you should leave French language to people more current in French.
You mean "patente" for "thingy" since behind a lot of objects one can find the inscription "patent". But I have never never heard your version concerning AADs in Quebec and I am here for more than forty years. [:/] Do you think distance in time and space could alter your memories ?;)

BTW CF is in French : formations sous voilure (FSV)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Sorry erdnarob,

It took me a long time to learn French, Then (courtesy of the Quebec school system) I learned a dialect that is not spoken in North America. as a result I find it easiest to speak with Swiss of Africans.
Some people guess my French as Belgian, while others guess it as Quebecois, while others just stare in confusion.
How messed up a dialect is that?

The most bizarre part of my education was a university-leaving exam administered by the University of Ottawa, administered in a dialect that I have never heard before of since????????
U.of O. eventually granted me a bilingual Bachelor of Arts Degree.
Go figure??????