unkulunkulu

Does "golf swing" have to do with skydiving

:|

Weird and probably dumb question :)
See, I ran across this article http://www.skydivemag.com/article/speedfly-safety-1

Here is the part that confuses me:

Repetition
We learn best by repetition of the correct movements, for example:
golf swing
in place turn
landing pattern
equipment check

So does the author mean the literal golf swing, like, in golf? I mean, it really looks out of context this way (does it to you?). Or am I missing something? Search didn't reveal anything.

just an example of repetition, golf swing is a motion that takes repetition to learn, not a motion that is specifically useful for skydiving.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

It's the point that we develop "muscle memory" by repeating the action over and over and over.

A golf swing is an example of this. Proper stance when shooting a pistol is another.

Pull position, turns in place, EPs are all good examples pertaining to skydiving.

It would have been a lot clearer if the author had either included more non-jumping examples, or none at all.
Having just the one that doesn't pertain to jumping is a bit of a non-sequitur.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

New to skydiving (three years and counting) but not new to golf (47 years) and no I did not stay at a Holiday Inn over night.

The use of the golf swing as a comparative analogy to skydiving only works if the principle, "practice makes permanent," is applied. I'll reference two swings of two golfers. The best example of a golf swing IMHO and the opinion of many others is Ben Hogan and perhaps the worst is the golf swing of Charles Barkley. One was a professional golfer and the other (despite being in the NBA) is an amateur golfer who picked up some extremely bad habits and unfortunately has a horrid horrid swing. Bad habits developed over time in golf are tough to get rid of. On the other hand, I don't know if bad habits as a function of muscle memory can be easily corrected in skydiving. I think it's safe to state that some bad habits developed in skydiving left unrecognized and/or uncorrected have a higher potential of removing one from the active gene pool.

Boomerdog

On the other hand, I don't know if bad habits as a function of muscle memory can be easily corrected in skydiving.

My tunnel instructors would vote "NO!" :D:D

I think it's safe to state that some bad habits developed in skydiving left unrecognized and/or uncorrected have a higher potential of removing one from the active gene pool.

Or sending one back to the bowling alley (or golf course;)).

I've seen quite a few people scare themselves out of the sport. Some I thought could have stayed and learned. Some I was really glad they got out alive. :)