brenthutch

2021 Record Hurricane Season

33 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

So what does it mean for the climate, then?

To paraphrase Richard Feynman, “if the the predictions of a theory (catastrophic man made global warming causing more hurricanes) do not agree with observation, THE THEORY IS WRONG!  It doesn’t matter if 97% of anyone agrees with it or not…the theory is WRONG….and that’s how science works.”

(edited)
35 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

To paraphrase Richard Feynman, “if the the predictions of a theory (catastrophic man made global warming causing more hurricanes) do not agree with observation, THE THEORY IS WRONG!  It doesn’t matter if 97% of anyone agrees with it or not…the theory is WRONG….and that’s how science works.”

The above chart says it represents “global hurricanes” but hurricanes by definition only occur in the Atlantic and northern Pacific oceans. Does the chart also reflect other types of tropical cyclones?

Edited by murps2000
Misspelling

(edited)
32 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

The above chart says it represents “global hurricanes” but hurricanes by definition only occur in the Atlantic and northern Pacific oceans. Does the chart also reflect other types of tropical cyclones?

Yes, hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons.  

From NOAA:

“A total of 94 tropical cyclones formed around the globe in 2021, which ties 1994 for the tenth most since 1981. Despite this above-normal number of named storms, the overall global tropical cyclone activity was down in 2021. Only 37 tropical cyclones made hurricane strength (>74 mph), which is the fewest on record since 1981.”

Edited by brenthutch

25 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Yes, hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons.  

From NOAA:

“A total of 94 tropical cyclones formed around the globe in 2021, which ties 1994 for the tenth most since 1981. Despite this above-normal number of named storms, the overall global tropical cyclone activity was down in 2021. Only 37 tropical cyclones made hurricane strength (>74 mph), which is the fewest on record since 1981.”

Last week when I said this:

“So cold weather in Boston is not evidence for or against climate change, then. Got it. Glad we got that cleared up.”

You replied with this:

“Neither are tornadoes, wildfires, hurricanes, droughts and floods. (But that doesn’t keep climate alarmists from claiming otherwise)”

So is the NOAA data evidence of global cooling or warming? Or neither? 

(edited)
17 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

Last week when I said this:

“So cold weather in Boston is not evidence for or against climate change, then. Got it. Glad we got that cleared up.”

You replied with this:

“Neither are tornadoes, wildfires, hurricanes, droughts and floods. (But that doesn’t keep climate alarmists from claiming otherwise)”

So is the NOAA data evidence of global cooling or warming? Or neither? 
 local weather phenomenon are just that…local.  When discussing global warming, it is just that…global.  Bad weather has been with us since the beginning of time 

Edited by brenthutch

13 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

local weather phenomenon are just that…local.  When discussing global warming, it is just that…global.  Bad weather has been with us since the beginning of time 

You already explained that to me. I think we agree on that. But you posted a timeline statistic of a specific type of global weather event which made it about climate. I’m asking you what you think the data therein should tell us about climate. Or if it should tell us nothing about it. 

The text in parenthesis is your addition to the quote, correct? So is there catastrophic global warming but it’s not increasing hurricanes, or are there less hurricanes because there is not catastrophic global warming?

(edited)
22 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

You already explained that to me. I think we agree on that. But you posted a timeline statistic of a specific type of global weather event which made it about climate. I’m asking you what you think the data therein should tell us about climate. Or if it should tell us nothing about it. 

The text in parenthesis is your addition to the quote, correct? So is there catastrophic global warming but it’s not increasing hurricanes, or are there less hurricanes because there is not catastrophic global warming?

Not only is there nothing catastrophic, there is nothing that is outside of the range of historical natural variability.  It’s not warmer than it has ever been, CO2 levels are not higher than they have ever been and NOTHING, (floods, droughts, tropical cyclones, wildfires, tornadoes, sea levels…etc) is outside of historic ranges.

The only thing that is well outside of historical norms is the number of climate related deaths, which have plummeted by 90+% in the last hundred years.

Edited by brenthutch

7 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

And there have always been fat people in America; there is no fat epidemic.

Wendy P. 

Using your logic: There are fewer fat people in America now, than there have ever been, that means we have a worsening obesity epidemic.

Wendy:

28 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Not only is there nothing catastrophic, there is nothing that is outside of the range of historical natural variability.  It’s not warmer than it has ever been, CO2 levels are not higher than they have ever been and NOTHING, (floods, droughts, tropical cyclones, wildfires, tornadoes, sea levels…etc) is outside of historic ranges.

The only thing that is well outside of historical norms is the number of climate related deaths, which have plummeted by 90+% in the last hundred years.

From that data you posted it looks like the number of global hurricanes is outside of at least recent historical ranges. Isn’t that why you posted it?

5 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

From that data you posted it looks like the number of global hurricanes is outside of at least recent historical ranges. Isn’t that why you posted it?

Good point, you are correct.  However, if the consequences of higher CO2 is more food, fewer strong cyclones, fewer climate related deaths and more polar bears, I’m ok with it.

10 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

Why he posted it is because we are all he has for now. He's freezing his nards off in Mifflin County with nowhere to go and no one to be amazed by his insights. 

10 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Why he posted it is because we are all he has for now. He's freezing his nards off in Mifflin County with nowhere to go and no one to be amazed by his insights. 

No my friend, I am comfortably ensconced in my den, enjoying a glass of wine, a nice fire and football game.
image.thumb.jpeg.fbe7b50088b1646bbad47c894d98697c.jpeg

56 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Good point, you are correct.  However, if the consequences of higher CO2 is more food, fewer strong cyclones, fewer climate related deaths and more polar bears, I’m ok with it.

I am in favor of all of those things but what about tornadoes? If the price of higher CO2 levels is more of them, then I am not okay with that. Globally (which makes it climate related) they were up last year. And they’re way up from 1981

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/tornadoes/202113

27 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

I am in favor of all of those things but what about tornadoes? If the price of higher CO2 levels is more of them, then I am not okay with that. Globally (which makes it climate related) they were up last year. And they’re way up from 1981

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/tornadoes/202113

Actually EF4 and EF5 are at a record low

https://weather.com/safety/tornado/news/2021-12-11-ef5-f5-tornadoes-streak-record-longest

8 hours ago, murps2000 said:

I’m sure that will console EF1-3 survivors. Is intensity what matters or frequency? If it’s intensity, the Atlantic had quite an active hurricane season in 2021.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/11/30/atlantic-hurricane-season-2021-recap/

Oh hush.

You're using facts.
And reality.

And you're pointing out that the climate is a very complex and interdependent system that we have a very limited understanding of.
Any changes we make can and will have long term consequences (long term meaning decades or centuries).

But because the year to year data can be manipulated to show whatever anyone wants, the deniers use it to 'prove' nothing is happening.