iranianjumper

SABER 2

It's "Sabre", not "Saber." I still make that mistake from time to time in my logbook.

End cell closure seems to be normal, but seems to depend on the individual canopy. I've heard a lot about it, but mine doesn't do it.

Funky, random turns of up to 180 degrees on opening are common. This may depend on the individual canopy, but mine does it.

Make sure the sides of the slider are pulled out well. I had some random hard openings until someone I trusted about this stuff said that test jumps had shown that this was important. The hard openings stopped as soon as I started doing it.

I jump a 170 @ about 1.15:1. It's a fun canopy. Fun when I crank on it (toggles or risers), easy to fly and land.
I don't get to jump as much as I'd prefer to, so I have no plans to downsize or change canopies.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I jumped a rental Sabre 2 230 for a while, loading around 1.1 to 1. I never had any problems with end cell closure, although people loading it more lightly than me had apparently complained about that. That particular canopy had a history of hard openings, even when being packed by the Dropzone's packers. I wasn't the only one who noticed it. If you have that problem, you could talk to a rigger about doing a pocket slider or something. Every canopy is different, so it might not be a problem with yours.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

wolfriverjoe

End cell closure seems to be normal, but seems to depend on the individual canopy. I've heard a lot about it, but mine doesn't do it.

Mine didn't do it, then did it heavily for a while, then stopped.

Funky, random turns of up to 180 degrees on opening are common. This may depend on the individual canopy, but mine does it.

Mine does it almost always, very rarely it doesn't. Every opening is an adventure! Also, don't ever fight a Sabre2 on opening, let it fly with your hands just resting on the rears, and follow up on whatever it does until fully inflated. Trying to steer it through the opening is a great way of getting line twists.

Make sure the sides of the slider are pulled out well. I had some random hard openings until someone I trusted about this stuff said that test jumps had shown that this was important. The hard openings stopped as soon as I started doing it.

I never really had problems with particularly hard openings, whether I pack myself (I'm religious about making sure my slider is packed properly) or using packers. The slider needs some convincing to travel the last couple cm down the lines though. Just a tug on the rears is all it takes, and if you hold it lightly for a few seconds, it will also inflate any closed end cells.

I jump a 170 @ about 1.15:1. It's a fun canopy. Fun when I crank on it (toggles or risers), easy to fly and land.
I don't get to jump as much as I'd prefer to, so I have no plans to downsize or change canopies.

170 @ 1.13 here. Landings were scary fast when I first switched to it from student Navs and Spectre 190. Sabre2 really needs you to have a proper two-stage flare dialed in, but offers a lot to land on when you do. It's a fun wing to fly. I got used to the steep glide, made me overshoot horribly on flatter trimmed canopies. It has a very wide glide range, but get used to hanging on the rears on long spot. I got seriously sore muscles after a day of tracking jumps.

Mine seems to have particularly short brake lines, even after I had a rigger cut a new lineset. Made it confusing when I switched to a Pilot, which has brakes long enough that I can't stall it without serious effort.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."