Hooknswoop

USPA Membership

Hi Derek,

When tested, DOT helmets routinely fail

I have done any work in this area for many years. However, I doubt that all would fail.

At one time the standard was ANSI, Z-90. I just looked it up & it seems to have been watered down to only cover helmets for bicyclists.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/002/ansi.z90.4.1984.pdf

And: http://www.smf.org/

Jerry Baumchen

First you would have to change the S&TA system. Currently there are no requirements to be an S&TA other than be a buddy of the DZO. I know of at least 2 DZ's that appointed non-jumpers as S&TA's. There was a fatality at one that had to have the preliminary investigation performed by a local rigger due to the S&TA's lack of knowledge of equipment. This subject has come up before and most DZO's would prefer an organic rubber stamp over someone that may question their decisions.

have done any work in this area for many years. However, I doubt that all would fail.

Last time I check, it's been a few years, the pass rate was 50%. Half of the helmets with a DOT sticker failed an independent test.

I would rather have the FAA doing ramp checks than the USPA's self reporting program. One is an actual check, the other is a DOT helmet sticker.

Derek V

Hi Derek,

the pass rate was 50%. Half of the helmets with a DOT sticker failed an independent test.

Based upon some of the helmets that I've seen over the last few years, I would put the pass rate even lower.

So, I guess that would meet your comment of 'routinely' fail. B|

Jerry Baumchen

jlmiracle

Just wondering if the GM pledge covers sexual assault? Just noticed a recent review of a GM dropzone. I sent the reviewer a message to make sure she contacts the USPA (ed, Chuck and Shawna). Hope they investigate these claims and take appropriate action. Judy

Oh, yes, it is my understanding that this is being looked into, no GM specific stuff required. It is so difficult to think that anyone could even think of doing such things in this day and age, much less do them.

For those of you interested, here are the reviews:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/dropzone/review.cgi?ID=1564

I read the review and to play devils advocate, if she was so freaked out why did she go to give the guy a kiss on the cheek after everything that happened. and then playfully say "you tricked me". then report it anonymously on a site that most people know nothing about, instead of on the DZ's facebook page. maybe I am wrong but I feel her story may be a exaggerated

tred

I read the review and to play devils advocate, if she was so freaked out why did she go to give the guy a kiss on the cheek after everything that happened. and then playfully say "you tricked me". then report it anonymously on a site that most people know nothing about, instead of on the DZ's facebook page. maybe I am wrong but I feel her story may be a exaggerated

Even if 1/4 of it is true/accurate or unexaggerated, the TI crossed the line. I guess if they ever give her the video she paid for - an unedited version, we could get some facts.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.