1 1
billvon

House blocks deportation of US military veterans

(edited)
13 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Its useful for Canadian politicians and some Canadians to paint the US as a deeply dysfunctional, broken nation.

You just had people, who believe the government is controlled by a group that drink the blood of children, storm your Capitol building and kill a few police officers. Wasn't a small group either.

You elect politicians who believe 9/11 and mass school shootings are a hoax.

You make hate peddlers multi-millionaires.

To me that is all pretty dysfunctional.

Edited by SkyDekker

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Joe, I'm thinking you've missed BIGUN's larger point which I take to be focused on a longer view than the last couple of years. I think all clear thinkers would agree that as a Nation we make many mistakes. However we also do a hell of a lot of good and, more often than not, set a great example. Furthermore we are not all seen as ogres by citizens of other nations. I travel a lot and hang with Europeans most often these day's when I do. Trust me, they have their own challenges and they know it. skydekker, who has managed to travel from Toronto to Vancouver, thinks he has the world view of America wired. He does not. Most people I meet in my travels still admire America and when we somehow shed the stench of the last several years, as we will, they will admire us more. 

Not exactly.

I'm not 'missing the point'. I just don't see it the same way.

And it's not just 'the last couple of years'. 

This is the exact same struggle that has been fought over and over again since the founding of the country.

It could have easily destroyed us very early on. Take a good look at the differences between Adams & Jefferson back in the very early 1800s. 

Look at the real reasons for the Civil War. It wasn't "State's Rights", not really. It was a very small group of very rich men who didn't want to give up the power and control they had. 

The current struggle goes back to the Reagan 80s. All the deregulation, all the 'small government' claims (which is really just a smokescreen for 'take away the protections for the ordinary people and let the rich do what ever they want), along with all the military/industrial buildup. 

It came to a head in the last couple of years, when the Rs finally dropped all the pretenses and just let the rich and powerful take over. The 'dark money', the 'super PACs', all that. It's not just the Rs, but they are the worst of it. 
Compare and contrast the just passed Covid bill with the tax cuts from 2017. 

Heather Cox Richardson has some very thoughtful posts on FB (and elsewhere). I've quoted them several times, as have others.
She puts this stuff in a historical perspective, both long and short. 

I don't disagree that the Europeans really like us. We saved their asses twice last century. However, Africa, South & Central America & Asia have a bit different perspective. 

I truly hope we have turned a corner and will move forward. The majority of the country wants to.
But, unfortunately, the majority of the wealth doesn't.  

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Thank you for making my point.

i had to read it twice to see how you got that from what i wrote.  the second part of your observation, the part about it not being clear while they are in is the part you have wrong, the rest is right.  it is very clear when you are in that after one year of service, you apply for and get a green card, with the fees waived.  i knew many immigrants who did so, and it was something they usually used a calendar for.  it was crystal clear to them when they were in.  lots of things are left behind after we get out though.  there is the real betrayal.

8 hours ago, billvon said:

1.   I actually think that's its strength - it's temporary and will disappear when COVID becomes less of an issue.

2.  I am a lot less worried about one-time stimulus payments than long term changes that increase the debt (like permanent tax cuts or permanent new programs.)

1. Well, why not just cut the tax for a short-term and not give a credit with installments? 

2. Agreed. 

8 hours ago, SkyDekker said:
10 hours ago, BIGUN said:

it is that the citizens of the United States are empowered by broad personal liberties that are not to be denied by any form of government.

Sure, just as long as they fit within the decency laws. You are ensured the right to have a gun, just not a dildo, or a boobie without clothes over it.

"Broad Personal Liberties" applies to the Bill of Rights which includes the second amendment regarding guns. Boobies and dildoes - not in there.