Recon424

USPA .. Are they worth it ??

Kinda like health insurance for skydivers. No one plans to break themselves, but then we see the fundraisers...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hooknswoop

That would solve that problem.

Have you ever tried to get liability insurance for an easy demo?

And if membership was voluntary and USPA offered the lowest cost for the required insurance, I am sure I would pay to be a member without it feeling like extortion.

Derek V

$55 sounds pretty cheap for $3,000,000 of liability insurance. Let us know if you can get a better quote.. along with airport access defense, a legitimate attempt at developing consistent training methods, advocacy with Congress and the FAA, etc., etc.
And.. you get a free magazine! ;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Hooknswoop

For Instructors, what are USPA's minimum performance standards for an AFFI to renew their rating each year?

Derek V

Each rating holder must conduct a minimum number of student training jumps each year to meet the renewal requirements, except for the first partial year of holding the rating. See Section 1 of each course syllabus in the Instructional Rating Manual to find the rating renewal requirements.

I think AFF is 15 student jumps per year, unless it was increased, but I'm not going to buy the manual to find out the exact number. I don't think there are any "performance" standards.

Do you have any suggestions as to minimum peformance? Being there is an outside force (the student), how do you judge them?

judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

The shit of it is that if USPA did get more heavily involved in oversite we'd hear bitching about how DZs need to have more autonomy. I think we're getting a good bang for the buck. There are those who will take advantage of it and hopefully they don't fuck it up for the rest of us.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

grimmie

Derek,
How much do you think a stand alone "skydive third party liability" policy would cost a jumper that has no USPA membership per year?

Without the insurance, how many airports would allow non insured jumpers to skydive?

Who would stand up for our rights as skydivers without the USPA? This means standing our ground with airport sponsors, the FAA, state governments such as Indiana and a host of other people/organizations/governments that would like skydiving to just go away.

Rich,

Typical homeowners insurance provides limited coverage for personal injuries or property damage to others for which you or members of your family living with you may be legally responsible. The injuries or damages don't have to occur on your property. Your policy will describe what types of claims are covered, and coverage may vary by state, policy type, and insurer, so check with your carrier or agent for particular coverage questions.

Source: 360 degrees of Financial Literacy
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi Mike,

Typical homeowners insurance . . .

About 30+ yrs ago I spent the most of an afternoon with an attorney from the best law firm in the PacificNW. We talked about liability, insurance ( including my homeowner's policy ), etc.

He was of the opinion that if I made any money out of skydiving that my homeowner's policy could be voided as it was not for covering any type of business.

He also told me that an insurance carrier will find anyway that they can to deny coverage. I knew this but this discussion just re-inforced it for me.

Jerry Baumchen