1 1
billvon

New startup - Shield AI

Two years ago I left Qualcomm, a company I had first visited in 1992 and joined in 1994.  The company had been changing, and R+D was slowly disappearing.  I decided to leave in 2019 when the work was drying up.

About a year ago I joined a startup that's working on force protection for the military.  We've been running silent for a while, supporting the first robot and getting the second one to market.  That's now changed, now that Wired has done a story on us.

https://www.wired.com/story/shield-ai-quadcopter-military-drone/

7 hours ago, billvon said:

Two years ago I left Qualcomm, a company I had first visited in 1992 and joined in 1994.  The company had been changing, and R+D was slowly disappearing.  I decided to leave in 2019 when the work was drying up.

About a year ago I joined a startup that's working on force protection for the military.  We've been running silent for a while, supporting the first robot and getting the second one to market.  That's now changed, now that Wired has done a story on us.

https://www.wired.com/story/shield-ai-quadcopter-military-drone/

Please don't destroy the world. While this year has been bad I could do without 2021 being the rise of the machines sort of thing! :rofl:

15 hours ago, yoink said:

rise of the machines

i know right? so many dystopian futures have the hovering probe scanning everything looking for the rebellious humans...i can see a cottage industry springing up in war-torn areas for how to dress up to defeat the labelling like wearing a box on your head.

and i assume that labelling is where the AI in the name comes in. The SLAM of the building is i suspect done through more conventional techniques.