0
David Wang

how to control my body well in the future AFF jumps

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, 

I've watched a lot of youtube videos and have heard from a lot of people about spinning or losing control of their bodies in AFF level 3 or above. From level 3 both instructors will release. 

So I'm wondering...how to control my body well? Tunnel definitely helps so I will go... are there any other ways? 

ARCH is always the key right? 

How to practice ARCH when i'm not in the tunnel? Lay on the floor? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good arch cures a lot of problems. 

The tunnel is always good. On the floor is also good.

As well, stand a distance away from a wall and arch forward with your hips until your belly button only touches the wall. Too easy? Move back. 

In yoga, there is an exercise called the superman (attached). Using that and adapting it slightly (arms in, legs slight bent, yadda yadda yadda) can also work. Yoga pants not required. 

the_david_wang.PNG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2020 at 4:12 AM, flyhi said:

A good arch cures a lot of problems. 

The tunnel is always good. On the floor is also good.

As well, stand a distance away from a wall and arch forward with your hips until your belly button only touches the wall. Too easy? Move back. 

In yoga, there is an exercise called the superman (attached). Using that and adapting it slightly (arms in, legs slight bent, yadda yadda yadda) can also work. Yoga pants not required. 

the_david_wang.PNG

Thank you for advie and suggestions!!! I very appreciate it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#1 - Disclaimer - not an instructor. 

However, I've been doing this a while, and had to deal with stability (more accurately, lack of it) early on.

 

Arching alone is not going to keep you from spinning.

You need symmetry as well. 

 

If your legs, shoulders, arms or hips are uneven, you will turn. In fact, making some or all of those uneven intentionally is how you turn and maneuver. 

Tunnel time can help. Make sure the instructor knows you are an AFF student and is not just giving you a thrill ride.

Floor or wall practice can help, but it will primarily give you the arch, not the symmetry.
If you are doing floor arching, click your heels together to try to keep your legs even.
If you are doing the 'boxman' student belly position, stick your thumbs in your ears to try to keep your arms even (the 'arms in front' position is also taught, but that's a bit different). 

If this is something that concerns you, discuss it with the instructors before the jump. Have them evaluate your position on the ground. Have them give you practical ideas how to ensure stability (they may suggest the stuff like heel clicks and 'thumbs in ears', they may have different techniques). 

Last, keep in mind that the instructors usually know what they are doing. They can tell if you are symmetrical and stable in your arch. They shouldn't release you unless they are reasonably confident that you will not 'spin off into the sunset'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 11:23 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

#1 - Disclaimer - not an instructor. 

However, I've been doing this a while, and had to deal with stability (more accurately, lack of it) early on.

 

Arching alone is not going to keep you from spinning.

You need symmetry as well. 

 

If your legs, shoulders, arms or hips are uneven, you will turn. In fact, making some or all of those uneven intentionally is how you turn and maneuver. 

Tunnel time can help. Make sure the instructor knows you are an AFF student and is not just giving you a thrill ride.

Floor or wall practice can help, but it will primarily give you the arch, not the symmetry.
If you are doing floor arching, click your heels together to try to keep your legs even.
If you are doing the 'boxman' student belly position, stick your thumbs in your ears to try to keep your arms even (the 'arms in front' position is also taught, but that's a bit different). 

If this is something that concerns you, discuss it with the instructors before the jump. Have them evaluate your position on the ground. Have them give you practical ideas how to ensure stability (they may suggest the stuff like heel clicks and 'thumbs in ears', they may have different techniques). 

Last, keep in mind that the instructors usually know what they are doing. They can tell if you are symmetrical and stable in your arch. They shouldn't release you unless they are reasonably confident that you will not 'spin off into the sunset'. 

Thank you so much for all the advice and tips!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny you mention that on level 3 as it was where I had uncontrollable spins, both ways, instructor  broke the spinning on one side and picked up the other. Wasn't fun and major pucker factor for me at the time. I did what you said and did 10mins of tunnel and hasn't happened since.

Everything wolferiverjoe said about symmetry is bang on as I watch my video again I see I was asymmetrical with arms and legs. You can take a look, its on my YouTube channel (on my profile).

 

Good luck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nabz said:

Funny you mention that on level 3 as it was where I had uncontrollable spins, both ways, instructor  broke the spinning on one side and picked up the other. Wasn't fun and major pucker factor for me at the time. I did what you said and did 10mins of tunnel and hasn't happened since.

Everything wolferiverjoe said about symmetry is bang on as I watch my video again I see I was asymmetrical with arms and legs. You can take a look, its on my YouTube channel (on my profile).

 

Good luck

oh really? I have just watched too many videos that's why I wonder if I will spin when my instructors release. Arch and symmetry! I will get in the tunnel real soon. Thanks guys. 

 

5 hours ago, Remster said:

Less youtube. More actual jumping or tunnelling.

Yessir!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nabz said:

Funny you mention that on level 3 as it was where I had uncontrollable spins, both ways, instructor  broke the spinning on one side and picked up the other. Wasn't fun and major pucker factor for me at the time. I did what you said and did 10mins of tunnel and hasn't happened since.

Everything wolferiverjoe said about symmetry is bang on as I watch my video again I see I was asymmetrical with arms and legs. You can take a look, its on my YouTube channel (on my profile).

 

Good luck

just watched your videos man. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tunnel time / free fall time ... those are the only cures for spins that have not yet happened.

If you find yourself in a spin, click your heels together ... I have been told by many of my teachers that legs are the typical culprit of spinning in students.  I did not have this issue for more than 360*, likely due to my teachers being proactive about my legs (and yes, it was always my legs that caused my issues).

10 minutes of tunnel time is nice, 20 is great, 30 is invaluable in learning to control your body as a student.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ColoradoJones said:

tunnel time / free fall time ... those are the only cures for spins that have not yet happened.

If you find yourself in a spin, click your heels together ... I have been told by many of my teachers that legs are the typical culprit of spinning in students.  I did not have this issue for more than 360*, likely due to my teachers being proactive about my legs (and yes, it was always my legs that caused my issues).

10 minutes of tunnel time is nice, 20 is great, 30 is invaluable in learning to control your body as a student.

Thanks man for all the advice!! Yes I can't be too tired being in the tunnel! 15mins are great!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

0