georgerussia

My first cutaway - twisted risers

Well, even though this weekend seems to be really tough for skydivers, in my case I have the only one to blame (and this is me).

It was my 22nd jump (total 56th with all my jumps on round 10 years ago), the second jump on my own rig. That time I packed it myself, using some help and supervision in difficult moments or whenever I was not sure (it was 3rd time I did my packjob). I was not in hurry, and everything looked good.

Freefall portion was uneventful (solo jump practicing tracking), and my typical pull altitude was 5.5, but this time I decided to pull on 6, as usually with my pack jobs. When the canopy got out of the bag with slider up, I looked on it, and immediately found that right front and back risors were twisted. Said a word describing what a good packer I am, and then:

Stupid thing 1: I didn't look on left risers, because my second look was on altimeter and then on cutaway handle. If I had just a glance on it (were they also twisted or not?), it may help understanding the problem.

Stupid thing 2: After looking and putting my both hands on cutaway handle I checked the altitude again (something above 4.5k), and decided to wait until slider comes down, to see what happens and whether the twist cleans by itself. It clearly indicated lack of canopy internals knowledge, as riser twists (compating to line twists) cannot clean. And this was really stupid, because when the canopy inflated completely, and slider came down, it started spinning really fast. It turned about 180 degrees, and at that time I did the only smart thing at this jump, removing cutaway from velcro and pulling it, then going to reserve handle. And after pulling the cutaway handle I found myself in quite strange position, as spinning canopy threw me away.

Stupid thing 3: When I pulled the reserve handle, I already knew I need to apply force to it (thank you Bonnie for giving me a practice pull), so I pulled it really hard. Unfortunately I didn't take attention to keep my fingers aroung it in fist, and at the moment I pulled it the reserve inflated (I'm sure RSL did it faster than me), and it felt down. Saved cutaway handle though, keeping it with teeth :)

Stupid thing 4: When under reserve (about 3K altitude), was not able to locate neither my main nor my freebad. Instead spent about 10 seconds looking on my reserve "so cool, it is white, I like it!" and trying to collapse the slider, because it was VERY noisy. It took full three seconds to understand that this slider is not collapsable. Had plenty of altitude, so did some practice turns (including rear risers turns), and flaring. This was another good thing to do, as the reserve's stall point seemed to be higher than the stall point of my main. Despite it was windy, the landing was uneventful (and even stand-by).

Thanks to other jumpers, they were able to locate the direction of my main flew. It landed on golf course, and I found it in three hours. Didn't find the freebag though.

So what I gonna do is:

1. I'm going to take a packing course again. It is obvious that I did something stupid, and therefore I need to work on my packing skills.

2. I need to read more about different malfunctions and its causes. It is true for rounds that packing mistakes may be a reason for about 80% of your malfunctions, and we were actually taught those things - i.e. "if you do this, you WILL (probably) have this malfunction". This should be the same for ram-air canopies - are there any resources to read about it?

3. I need to study more about canopy internals, as there are still a lot of things not clear to me. It is still kind of 'black box', which safely delivers me down, and this amount of knowledge is definitely not enough.

Well, to complete this day's list of events my friend and coach also got a cutaway this day from really bad line twist. But at least he was luckier - he found everything, so that's really good. Obviously we both were lucky, as we didn't get hurt, and this is the most important thing.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Got different opinion from different people. Some of them says that riser twist itself does not force a large, square canopy to spin, so it might be premature brake release. One of my instructors said he was able to land riser twisted canopy. But some people say it might spin. Did someone expect riser twist on square (non-elliptical) canopy?

Tried "premature released brake" yesterday by releasing just one brake after the canopy fully opened. It started spinning exactly as I had it during this malfunction. So it might be also premature brake release, and stupid me even didn't check the brakes :(

this sucks.

Tried "premature released brake" yesterday by releasing just one brake after the canopy fully opened. It started spinning exactly as I had it during this malfunction. So it might be also premature brake release, and stupid me even didn't check the brakesthis sucks.

Careful, if that other toggle hangs up for whatever reason, remain altitude aware, you might place yourself in a position that necessitates EP's.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Careful, if that other toggle hangs up for whatever reason, remain altitude aware, you might place yourself in a position that necessitates EP's.

Couldn't I just stow the released brake back, and use rear risers in this case?

Someone want to chime in on the con's of in-air rigging?

...or even how easy putting a brake back in a catseye then stowing the toggle when the line's under tension would be...

...or even how easy putting a brake back in a catseye then stowing the toggle when the line's under tension would be...

What could be easier? I mean, what is the worst that could possibly happen?

I mean, what is the worst that could possibly happen?

You mean apart from being slagged off at your own funeral for trying in-air rigging instead of stopping the skydive?

George: we're not having a go at you. I think we're both just in slightly odd moods today :P.

Not to mention that many people don't practice (up high) the techniques for landing on rears ... which could make the "I'll just land on rears" approach a more risky one.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yup, hook knife.. that would be the extent of my rigging in the air