BIGUN

The most dangerous cities in America, ranked

With all the discussions in other threads about city crime; this popped up on my newsfeed this morning. These are the U.S. cities with the highest rates of violent crime in 2016, the most recent year available from the FBI. There's a hyperlink to the FBI 2016 down below on the first page which is in alphabetic order. But, you can download it in Excel format to filter.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/

Note: Chicago is 24th. Detroit is 1st.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

RonD1120

I am surprised Atlanta did not make the top 25.

Almost all of Detroit is a shithole. Atlanta is a giant sprawling metropolis with like two dozen smaller cities and towns all around it.

But yeah, of course, Atlanta has its areas you would be stupid to walk through alone during the day, much less at night, like most urban cities.

BIGUN

I've wondered if crime rates based on square miles vs. population might show a different result.

This is like the old joke about the statistician putting his head in a hot oven and feet in ice water and saying the temperature is perfect. The only real thing determined is a fairly useless statistic about how many murders against total city population. We're saying for instance that people living in the war zone of inner city Chicago are safe because of all the people who live in the safer areas. That might not seem important but when it comes to something like federal aid to cut down on gun violence it gets critical.

BIGUN

I've wondered if crime rates based on square miles vs. population might show a different result.

I've been watching a series on Netflix** called "Longmire", set in Wyoming. If I believed what I see there, Wyoming, with a population density that hardly registers, would top the list of dangerous places.

** Based on what we now know about people getting fake news from social media sites, I figure that Netflix is as reliable as Facebook memes for getting information, and more reliable than Infowars.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***I've wondered if crime rates based on square miles vs. population might show a different result.

I've been watching a series on Netflix** called "Longmire", set in Wyoming. If I believed what I see there, Wyoming, with a population density that hardly registers, would top the list of dangerous places.

** Based on what we now know about people getting fake news from social media sites, I figure that Netflix is as reliable as Facebook memes for getting information, and more reliable than Infowars.

I remember when a politician was raising hell because those big western states were getting more homeland security money per capita than places like New York. And people were ignorant to get outraged by it.

Bob_Church

***More so than Cabot Cove? ;)

That's the one. I was also going to say Midsummer. People will object saying that the main person there isn't an amateur, which is true, but he's awfully amateurish.

Midsomer - I was there last summer (it's actually parts of Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire) . Didn't get murdered, but glad to get back to the safety of Chicago.

nolhtairt

Atlanta has its areas you would be stupid to walk through alone during the day, much less at night, like most urban cities.

The risk of walking through such areas, day or night, is usually highly exaggerated.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***Atlanta has its areas you would be stupid to walk through alone during the day, much less at night, like most urban cities.

The risk of walking through such areas, day or night, is usually highly exaggerated.
Indeed!

Did anyone else notice that many of those cities are in the "Rust Belt?"
After heavy industry moved out, the least-skilled workers remained. With little work, they turned to crime.

Has anyone else read the book "Hillbilly Elegy?" Those are the same sort of "white trash" who elected Donald Trump because they believed his promises to "Make America Great Again." Too few of those people understand that heavy industry has left the "Rust Belt" and will never return.

riggerrob

Did anyone else notice that many of those cities are in the "Rust Belt?"
After heavy industry moved out, the least-skilled workers remained. With little work, they turned to crime.

Has anyone else read the book "Hillbilly Elegy?" Those are the same sort of "white trash" who elected Donald Trump because they believed his promises to "Make America Great Again." Too few of those people understand that heavy industry has left the "Rust Belt" and will never return.

I think it could. I think it has to. In the 60s and 70s we passed environmental laws in the US to protect the environment. If you want to manufacture something you have to do it in an at least partly responsible way. But we didn't pass anything saying that you couldn't import and sell things made this way. In one move we increased pollution and killed the US' middle class.
That just doesn't even make sense.

Mid-west manufacturing is never going to come back the way it was. The skills gap is just too large., If you look at the newest factories they are increasingly replacing as much labor as possible with robotics. When you decrease the number of workers needed and then require the remaining workers to be more highly skilled its not looking good for the local areas. SpaceX has decided to build all their rockets in Los Angeles - not exactly the home of cheap labor. This was due to the skills and knowledge needed. Ford just retooled another factory last year and converted another 800+ jobs from factory worker positions to higher skilled Robotics repairs / tool makers so the workers were told to train up or find another position. Older workers are not being replaced, they are just hiring new skilled labor instead.

Environmental rules impacted some but not near at the level of the robotics revolution that occurred in the 80's and is only accelerating today. When the number of workers can be cut in half if not to a quarter and the output increased - it works great for profits but it comes at the cost of lower skilled jobs.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hi Eric,

Mid-west manufacturing is never going to come back the way it was. The skills gap is just too large., If you look at the newest factories they are increasingly replacing as much labor as possible with robotics. When you decrease the number of workers needed and then require the remaining workers to be more highly skilled its not looking good for the local areas. SpaceX has decided to build all their rockets in Los Angeles - not exactly the home of cheap labor. This was due to the skills and knowledge needed. Ford just retooled another factory last year and converted another 800+ jobs from factory worker positions to higher skilled Robotics repairs / tool makers so the workers were told to train up or find another position. Older workers are not being replaced, they are just hiring new skilled labor instead.

Environmental rules impacted some but not near at the level of the robotics revolution that occurred in the 80's and is only accelerating today. When the number of workers can be cut in half if not to a quarter and the output increased - it works great for profits but it comes at the cost of lower skilled jobs.

^^^^ This.

We usually call it 'survival of the fittest.'

Evolve or be gone,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) The first emergency parachute I packed was in the Spring of 1965; a gut pack with a round canopy, no pilot chute, no diaper, etc. Look at what it takes today to pack ( virtually ) the same parachute; a square canopy, multiple flaps that must be in just the right order, an RSL ( they vary in design ), possibly a MARD ( numerous types ), etc. The world continues to change.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Eric,

^^^^ This.

We usually call it 'survival of the fittest.'

Evolve or be gone,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) The first emergency parachute I packed was in the Spring of 1965; a gut pack with a round canopy, no pilot chute, no diaper, etc. Look at what it takes today to pack ( virtually ) the same parachute; a square canopy, multiple flaps that must be in just the right order, an RSL ( they vary in design ), possibly a MARD ( numerous types ), etc. The world continues to change.

When you have serious laws that apply to one set of businesses but not the other based on a line on a map it's a very different thing altogether.