Bob_Church

Open Source Health Care

Comcast has partnered with Independent Health to, well, I'm not sure what the reasoning is. But here's a quote

"Companies say the cross-sector partnership will create open source platform that it hopes other tech companies will use to innovate."

Has Open Source become the new term for "yeh, we'll be hacked and all your private information will be stolen in no time at all?"

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/comcast-partners-independence-health-create-digital-health-company

It sounds to me like "Open Source" has been added to the Official Corporate Buzzword List, meaning corporate droids will be using it everywhere they can, and it will mean nothing.

I have been reading about corporations organizing multi-corporate healthcare pools for the purpose of increasing their bargaining leverage with insurance companies. But I've never heard of any of them trying to wedge the phrase "open source" into it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

It sounds to me like "Open Source" has been added to the Official Corporate Buzzword List, meaning corporate droids will be using it everywhere they can, and it will mean nothing.

I have been reading about corporations organizing multi-corporate healthcare pools for the purpose of increasing their bargaining leverage with insurance companies. But I've never heard of any of them trying to wedge the phrase "open source" into it.

Maybe the answer is in The Cloud.

Maybe the answer is in The Cloud.

I've looked at Clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud's illusions I recall
I really don't know Clouds at all
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Bob_Church

"Companies say the cross-sector partnership will create open source platform that it hopes other tech companies will use to innovate."

Has Open Source become the new term for "yeh, we'll be hacked and all your private information will be stolen in no time at all?"

Couple comments:
1. Many developers would argue that Open Source is better / more secure / less hack-able than Closed Source. Their argument is that the more scrutiny and eyes are on the source code the better as the result will be more high quality and have fewer bugs.

2. It sounds like Comcast and Independent are developing software, a health care software service platform. They claim it will be open source, and I can see that as possible as they know a closed source system will get fewer takers, and building heath care software platforms it is not the main business for either company, so Open Sourcing it won't be the death of them.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

gowlerk

I've looked at Clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud's illusions I recall
I really don't know Clouds at all

😃😃😃😃😃😃👍👍👍👍👍

So sad for the youngsters that don't recognize this.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE