PhreeZone

New travel ban (electronics)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-airlines-electronics-idUSKBN16S11Q

This shit makes no sense.

You have to check a tablet and the laptop as checked baggage now if you are flying in from these locations directly but if you do a layover at any other airport you are allowed to bring them in the cabin still as a carry on. Most airlines have started phasing out in flight entertainment systems with TV's and now have gone to streaming systems since over 90% of the traveling public carries devices onboard that they prefer to use to watch their own content on. http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/25/technology/american-dropping-screens-from-boeing-737-max/ Just what I want to do on a 15 hour flight - stare at my phone to try and watch a movie or try to do all my work spreadsheets....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm guessing it is something like this.

A lot of conventional explosives contains some heavy metals which can show up on an x-ray image. It is difficult but that can be replaced with organic peroxide compounds that aren't detectible with x-ray. It would take an MRI to see that, and airport scanners don't have those yet.

This ban must indicate they terrorist have figured this out well enough to get past x-rays.

Let's hope this ban doesn't spread or airline travel is really going to suck.

When my first laptop scans started MANY years ago, I always saw the hard drive as a dark obelisk, non translucent block.
I immediately realized what security theater was right there.
:S
"Just power it up so we can see the boot screen"
That's just BIOS ya dummy.
:S>:(

AlanS

I'm guessing it is something like this.

A lot of conventional explosives contains some heavy metals which can show up on an x-ray image. It is difficult but that can be replaced with organic peroxide compounds that aren't detectible with x-ray. It would take an MRI to see that, and airport scanners don't have those yet.

This ban must indicate they terrorist have figured this out well enough to get past x-rays.

Let's hope this ban doesn't spread or airline travel is really going to suck.

Its spreading like gonorrhea in a whorehouse.
"Transport Canada is studying restrictions the United States has just placed on electronic devices being carried by travellers coming from 10 primarily Middle Eastern airports, and is reviewing the possibility of joining the ban, an industry source has told The Globe and Mail."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/us-banning-carry-on-electronics-on-flights-from-10-airports/article34360400/

If they're smart enough to make a mobile device a bomb platform, it would be entirely impossible to make a cell phone that you can carry on legally, the signal sender for the triggering device . :S:P:D

More risk from the Li-Po batteries.

normiss

If they're smart enough to make a mobile device a bomb platform, it would be entirely impossible to make a cell phone that you can carry on legally, the signal sender for the triggering device . :S:P:D

I was thinking the exact same thing. 'These laptops could be bombs! So we'll just put them in a different part of the plane.':D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'm less concerned about this particular ban.

I can see where there could be a particular case or two where it makes sense if there is intel to support it.

That said, it doesn't take a whole hell of a lot of explosives to down an airplane. I think most modern cell phone packaging has enough volume.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Example: when I would fly home from Turkey, I would fly from Ankara to Munich via Lufthansa (usually) or Turkish Airlines (Star Alliance). Munich international departures has enhanced screening of carry-on bags, even if you're already "through security" because you're transiting. Therefore, before boarding my Lufthansa or United flight to Newark or Dulles, I would have my carry-on stuff screened again. Only passengers with valid boarding cards for THAT flight could enter the passenger lounge, and once you were in, you weren't to leave. I usually had to take things out of my bag in Munich that I also had to remove in Ankara, such as my laptop. I've also had camera equipment inspected and been asked to turn on the camera at both airports (although to save space, I usually packed the large camera in my checked bag anyway).

Istanbul had the same checks (on rare occasion, my flights took me through Istanbul instead). Going from a domestic arrival to an international departure, you have to get screened again, and you can't come back out after being screened. They also had random searches and bomb residue screening at the gates (they "randomly" seemed to screen a lot of people, regardless of your passport origin).

Anyway, it seems they aren't satisfied with Istanbul's procedures these days, so there ya go.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!