ryoder

MSNBC - Rachel Maddow: "We've got Trump tax returns"

kallend

************In just a few moments folks, on live TV, we shall all finally witness the ever so mythical female orgasm, gushing with objectivity!

Meh, she faked it. Nothing to see here folks. He made a 150 million in 2005 and paid 38 million in taxes. The rest is all just sensationalized conjecture and more speculation. . .

So he paid at a lower rate than my wife and I. For shame.

I'd have to see the schedule A for deductions and the $103 million write down from line 21. Accounting for those two figures puts his tax rate at close to 100%.

Yes, most people aren't in a position to write down $103 Million. A privilege for the privileged.

Yes, most people aren't in a position to pay $35 million+ in income tax in a year. A privilege for the privileged indeed.

Stumpy

I suspect leaked by trump himself as a distraction. Other than showing he's a liar, not too much to see here.

Agreed;
Why would someone with access to the return, release only the 1040 page instead of the whole thing?
It does makes sense if he is leaking it himself.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

kallend

I don't write of millions but I don't make millions either. Has it ever occurred to you that swing losses can be part of a strategy?

With a sensible tax code we wouldn't need "strategy".

Agreed. Hate the ball not the player.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Fuck the media. This is absolutely non-news. It's the equivalent of drawing a scientific conclusion based on cherry-picked data.

Any conclusions drawn from an incomplete and non-current tax return are completely irrelevant.

15 years ago Trump paid a lower overall tax rate than I do. That's shouldn't be a surprise to anyone... As Kallend states, he would have so many options to write things off that aren't available to most people - That in itself doesn't make him either a bad or smart person. It means he has lots of good accountants.
So what? He can afford them and it's legal and smart to do so.

The only news that I see in the story is the part where Trump is currently trying to eliminate the part of the tax code that resulted in the huge majority of his payment 15 years ago. is it the same in his current situation - Who knows?

There's more important stuff to be covering. Actual 'running the government' stuff. This is just another diversion to get over the hump of the 'wiretap' which in itself distracted attention from SCJ nominations, Russiagate and so on.

In 2 - 3 weeks there'll be another completely worthless 'revelation' that will draw attention away from this bullshit.

yoink

Fuck the media. This is absolutely non-news. It's the equivalent of drawing a scientific conclusion based on cherry-picked data.

Any conclusions drawn from an incomplete and non-current tax return are completely irrelevant.

15 years ago Trump paid a lower overall tax rate than I do. That's shouldn't be a surprise to anyone... As Kallend states, he would have so many options to write things off that aren't available to most people - That in itself doesn't make him a bad person - make him a smart person as he claims. It means he has lots of good accountants.
So what? He can afford them and it's legal and smart to do so.

The only news that I see in the story is the part where Trump is currently trying to eliminate the part of the tax code that resulted in the huge majority of his payment 15 years ago. is it the same in his current situation - Who knows?

There's more important stuff to be covering. Actual 'running the government' stuff. This is just another diversion to get over the hump of the 'wiretap' which in itself distracted attention from SCJ nominations, Russiagate and so on.

In 2 - 3 weeks there'll be another completely worthless 'revelation' that will draw attention away from this bullshit.

Yes and his absence of twats about this is likely acknowledgement that he released the few documents on the advise of bannon. All part of his MO to stay in the news and distract attention.

The 2-3 weeks will coincide with the final report on Trump Tower spying and/or the collapse of the trumpcare bill.

kallend

I don't write of millions but I don't make millions either. Has it ever occurred to you that swing losses can be part of a strategy?

With a sensible tax code we wouldn't need "strategy".

This I agree...sensible is however a stumbling block for those in Congress/Senate.

My wife and I paid our accountant just North of $1,700.00 last year to do our taxes. But he has been extremely good at providing us with guidance which resulted in a $26K return. However the amount paid in taxes was mind blowing.

Want to simplify the tax code?

Remove the deduction for having your taxes prepared.

I'm serious. You'd see Congress scrambling to make it so simple a five year old could fill it out.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Want to simplify the tax code?

I'm serious. You'd see Congress scrambling to make it so simple a five year old could fill it out.

I've long advocated for requiring all govt officials to do their taxes themselves, with only a pencil and a 4-function calculator available.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Want to simplify the tax code?

I've long advocated for requiring all govt officials to do their taxes themselves, with only a pencil and a 4-function calculator available.:P

As long as elected officials in Washington accept money from lobbyists there will never be tax reform. Every line has a benefit for someone, some group. They will pay to protect themselves.

Michael Cohen‏ @MichaelCohen212 4h4 hours ago
.@JoeNBC As #potus @realDonaldTrump personal attorney, I know who
has his taxes. You better have proof to back up your claim and big mouth

Joe Scarborough‏ @JoeNBC 3h3 hours ago
And by the way "attorney":
1. Read the First Amendment
2. Save your dumb thug routine for someone who gives a damn.

:D

Source: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/michael-cohen-warns-joe-scarborough

Are you referring to the ability to take a deduction in the amount that it cost you for tax preparation? If so its subject to 2% of AGI Limit. If you can take advantage of this you either have lower income and therefor might hit the numbers but odds are you will not since a 1040ez can be filed for free and its rare to find lower income earners not needing a 1040ez. Other end is the earners that make a few hundred thousand dollars to millions and have an accountant on retainer to do all their tax advisement and preparation all year long and can justify paying 30k for this service since they will save hundreds of thousands in potential tax liability.

If you want to change it so that no one is eligible for a refund unless they do their taxes on their own without using any software or a paid service that is a separate issue.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The point was to eliminate the deduction for the rich since they are by far the greatest beneficiaries. It makes no sense whatsoever for the average person to have to kick in more taxes because a rich dude is hiring an accountant to do his.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver