airdvr

ISIS Militant Who Suicide Bombed Iraqi Forces Was A Released Gitmo Detainee

http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017/02/isis-militant-who-suicide-bombed-iraqi-forces-was-a-released-gitmo-detainee/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=alt&utm_source=amn

The BBC reported on Tuesday that the Islamic militant responsible a suicide bombing in Iraq this week was a released Guantanamo Bay (Gitmo) detainee. Abu-Zakariya al-Britani, a 50-year-old terrorist from Britain whose original name is Ronald Fiddler, was sent to Gitmo in 2002 and subsequently released. Riddler is said to be responsible for a suicide attack on Iraqi forces near Mosul.

Great plan we have to release these guys back to the field.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017/02/isis-militant-who-suicide-bombed-iraqi-forces-was-a-released-gitmo-detainee/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=alt&utm_source=amn

The BBC reported on Tuesday that the Islamic militant responsible a suicide bombing in Iraq this week was a released Guantanamo Bay (Gitmo) detainee. Abu-Zakariya al-Britani, a 50-year-old terrorist from Britain whose original name is Ronald Fiddler, was sent to Gitmo in 2002 and subsequently released. Riddler is said to be responsible for a suicide attack on Iraqi forces near Mosul.

I guess George W. Bush shouldn't have done that. Then again, the guy probably shouldn't have gone to Gitmo to begin with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamal_Udeen_Al-Harith

Also, the Bush 43 administration probably also shouldn't have tortured him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasul_v._Rumsfeld

I guess torturing people has a tendency to turn people against the side that tortures them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017/02/isis-militant-who-suicide-bombed-iraqi-forces-was-a-released-gitmo-detainee/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=alt&utm_source=amn

I guess George W. Bush shouldn't have done that. Then again, the guy probably shouldn't have gone to Gitmo to begin with.

I guess torturing people has a tendency to turn people against the side that tortures them.

:D

Keep them coming Paul! A laugh a week at the very least
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

quade

***http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017/02/isis-militant-who-suicide-bombed-iraqi-forces-was-a-released-gitmo-detainee/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=alt&utm_source=amn

A lot of guessing there.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

quade

Nah, recidivism rates in America are pretty high even without torture.

Besides, this guy attacked the Rafidhi army in Tal Kisum - not George Bush.

airdvr

Good call, place blame on the people trying to undo a giant clusterfuck, rather than those who created it in the first place. Makes perfect sense.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

rushmc

Keep them coming Paul! A laugh a week at the very least

Personally I don't think the incarceration of innocents in Guantanamo Bay is funny. The torture that happened there certainly isn't funny either, and suicide bomb attacks from Islamic militants sure as hell isn't funny.

I guess you have different standards.

quade

***Just going by your words.

Well, you should read up on the guy. Seriously. Classic case of US fucking up -- bad.

I know you love it when the US fucks up bad but there's a lot more to this guy's story than is found in Wiki.

After some time back in Manchester, in 2002 Al-Harith traveled to Pakistan for a backpacking trip. While there, he paid a truck driver to take him to Iran. The truck was stopped when he passed near the Afghan border. Taliban guards, seeing his British passport, arrested him as a British spy, which was typical of their treatment of foreigners.

There's a ton missing from this part of his story.

Destinations by Roxanne

jakee

***Keep them coming Paul! A laugh a week at the very least

Personally I don't think the incarceration of innocents enemy combatants in Guantanamo Bay is funny. The torture that happened there certainly isn't funny either, and suicide bomb attacks from Islamic militants sure as hell isn't funny.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

******Keep them coming Paul! A laugh a week at the very least

Personally I don't think the incarceration of innocents enemy combatants in Guantanamo Bay is funny. The torture that happened there certainly isn't funny either, and suicide bomb attacks from Islamic militants sure as hell isn't funny.

The innocent people locked up inside Guantanamo Bay are not enemy combatants, no mtter how badly you twist morality, international law, and the basic meanings of english words.

Do you ever stop to wonder how YOU would feel if you (or a loved one) were caught up in a "sweep", imprisoned without trial for years in shitty conditions, and tortured?

What would be your feelings towards your captors?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Do you ever stop to wonder how YOU would feel if you (or a loved one) were caught up in a "sweep", imprisoned without trial for years in shitty conditions, and tortured?

You assume innocence. I make no such assumption.

Destinations by Roxanne

jakee

*********Keep them coming Paul! A laugh a week at the very least

The innocent people locked up inside Guantanamo Bay are not enemy combatants, no mtter how badly you twist morality, international law, and the basic meanings of english words.

So, if they aren't EC why didn't your hero Barack close GITMO like he promised?

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

***Do you ever stop to wonder how YOU would feel if you (or a loved one) were caught up in a "sweep", imprisoned without trial for years in shitty conditions, and tortured?

It's not an assumption. We know there are innocent people in Guantanamo.

(BTW, nice to know you want your government to deny innocent people in Iraq and Afghanistan any of the rights you enjoy because of where you were born.)

airdvr

************Keep them coming Paul! A laugh a week at the very least

So, if they aren't EC why didn't your hero Barack close GITMO like he promised?

Who are 'they'? Are 'they' every single inmate at Guantanamo?

quade

***So, if they aren't EC why didn't your hero Barack close GITMO like he promised?

He tried.

Congress wouldn't let him.

From the New Yorker...bolding mine.

In public remarks, Obama has usually blamed Congress for his failure to close the prison. But months of reporting revealed a highly charged series of political maneuvers, involving nearly every part of the Administration. The attempt to close the prison has entailed tense negotiations with foreign officials, heated confrontations during meetings in the White House Situation Room, and, especially, a long-running fight with the Pentagon, which outplayed Obama for years. For those who worked to implement his policy, often without support, the frustrations were acute. “You need White House backing,” a senior Administration official told me. “If something went wrong, the risk was all ours. Gitmo was a potential career-ender.”

Barack had complete control of the Hill in his first 2 years. How did Congress block him again?

Destinations by Roxanne

jakee

******Do you ever stop to wonder how YOU would feel if you (or a loved one) were caught up in a "sweep", imprisoned without trial for years in shitty conditions, and tortured?

It's not an assumption. We know there are innocent people in Guantanamo.

Any proof?

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Barack had complete control of the Hill in his first 2 years. How did Congress block him again?

I wonder why Trump couldn't get Andrew Pudzer confirmed. After all, the GOP controls both houses of Congress.

airdvr

***Do you ever stop to wonder how YOU would feel if you (or a loved one) were caught up in a "sweep", imprisoned without trial for years in shitty conditions, and tortured?

That's because I have higher standards than you, as does the US Constitution.