nigel99

Isolationist USA

Well it will be interesting to see how the balance of "America First" and job creation goes along with the decrease in foreign money flowing into the USA.

Under the VISA waiver program, overnight the questions just became so insane that it is extremely difficult for a world traveler to answer. Example one of the guys at work needs the passport number from his expired British passport from over 10 years ago (that he no longer has).

From my relatively small company alone, we have just had 6 people decide it is simply too difficult to travel to the USA and so 3 trips cancelled and one meeting involving the other 3 moved to Canada.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

This is what happens when people think they have the answers to all the world's problems and if they just flip a switch everything would fall into place.

Fools never think of second and third order effects.

The world if FAR too complex for simple switch flip.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

gowlerk

Will fortress USA be weaker or stronger than open and engaged USA? It will be great again, one day when Trump is long gone.

Far too soon to tell. Scenarios run the gamut from him never leaving office ala Putin to nuclear holocaust. The best we can hope for is what I've always hoped for since he announced his candidacy and some R adults will step up and get rid of him. Sadly, they didn't do that when they had the chance and now I think they're beginning to understand the issues.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Royreader8812

But I guess 10 trillion $ deeper in the hole in the past 10 years, migrant crisis, more countries at war and millions dead, was a better way to go about it.

Just so long as it doesn't inconvenience you personally, huh.

I really don't know what you're getting at? My point is that the USA suffers from these policies. I live and work in Australia for an Australian company. We don't lose out if it is easier for us to move international business meetings from the USA to another country or continent 'you' do.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Well unless you were in transit at the time the order was implemented, or work with people that are deemed hostile to the USA, there would be no reason to do anything differently.

The process might change slightly, but I very much doubt Australia will be affected much, if at all by this in the medium or long term.

In the short term yes there are some inconvenient ramifications, but they will not have the same lasting effect on the Nations involved, as the examples I provided earlier. Which were what the last administration thought were good reactions to problems.

A storm in a teacup.

quade

***Will fortress USA be weaker or stronger than open and engaged USA? It will be great again, one day when Trump is long gone.

Far too soon to tell. Scenarios run the gamut from him never leaving office ala Putin to nuclear holocaust. The best we can hope for is what I've always hoped for since he announced his candidacy and some R adults will step up and get rid of him. Sadly, they didn't do that when they had the chance and now I think they're beginning to understand the issues.

Correct and correct.

Royreader8812

Well unless you were in transit at the time the order was implemented, or work with people that are deemed hostile to the USA, there would be no reason to do anything differently.

The process might change slightly, but I very much doubt Australia will be affected much, if at all by this in the medium or long term.

In the short term yes there are some inconvenient ramifications, but they will not have the same lasting effect on the Nations involved, as the examples I provided earlier. Which were what the last administration thought were good reactions to problems.

A storm in a teacup.

Well a number of very good engineers come from the Middle East and yes it directly affects some members of my team as a result. Google and Microsoft have similar concerns as it affects them in the same way.

Time will tell.