Erroll

Grammar schools in England.

The following is an excerpt from an article on Sky News :-

She said: "All the evidence tells us that, far from giving working class kids chances, they entrench advantage and have become the preserve of the privately-tutored."

Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron said his party "will work to block any Tory attempt to create grammar schools" - which his party could do in the House of Lords where the Tories lack a majority.

I was struck by the extreme irony with which this is being reported and dealt with.

To have "The Lords" decide for " the commoners" what is good for them just doesn't wash!

Erroll

The following is an excerpt from an article on Sky News :-

She said: "All the evidence tells us that, far from giving working class kids chances, they entrench advantage and have become the preserve of the privately-tutored."

I was a kid from a working class background in southeast London. Went to a grammar school, had no private tutoring, got a full scholarship to Cambridge, got a "Double First", got a PhD, became a professor...

That statement is rubbish.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***The following is an excerpt from an article on Sky News :-

I was a kid from a working class background in southeast London. Went to a grammar school, had no private tutoring, got a full scholarship to Cambridge, got a "Double First", got a PhD, became a professor...

That statement is rubbish.

Mores et Studia

Gone fishing

'Lords' and 'Commons' are just archaic terms still used for the upper and lower houses of the legislature. Ie it sounds a lot worse than it actually is. It gets worse when you actually listen to debates - in the houses of Parliament they refer to them as 'this place' and 'the other place'.

adamUK

Similar. Working class background.. got into a grammar school with an 'assisted place' so effectively sponsored through it by the school itself. Got to Oxford University. 1st class degree, masters. Did okay.

I passed the 11+ with a high score and was automatically placed in a grammar school.
But that was 50 years ago.

Gone fishing

In England private schools are called "public". Some research tells me that a "grammer school" is a "State funded selective school". And that there are many options divided by many things, but chiefly cost and class with am element of ability thrown in.

If anyone here who is not English cares....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_England
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

In England private schools are called "public". Some research tells me that a "grammer school" is a "State funded selective school". And that there are many options divided by many things, but chiefly cost and class with am element of ability thrown in.

I'm a Colonial, so the analogue is inexact.

I went to a High School that required testing to enter; 10% of applicants were accepted, and middling students did not even try, so the student body was largely Mensa material.

It infuriated many of the taxpayers whose kids did not have a chance in hell of getting in, and I do rather see their point. OTOH, nobody bitched about having equally expensive programs for people on the lowest tier, so my sympathy is limited.

Since I went straight to College from the middle of Junior year, and never properly graduated from High School, I suppose I lack standing on the issue.

In any event, with three hard Engineering Majors culminating in a Master's (the privileges of my P.E. License extend to four disciplines), I suppose I did okay.

gowlerk

I'm fairly sure that the "grammar schools" referenced in the OP are state funded selective schools, with the selection criterion being academic ability demonstrated by examination, so cost of attendance is not a factor. There are some private schools calling themselves "grammar schools", but the state does not have any say in how these are operated.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

gowlerk

Private schools are 'public' schools in England because any member of the general public can go to them, subject to paying their fees, in contrast (historically at least) with all other schools, which were only open to those children living within a certain geographical catchment area. Hence the apparent reversal in terms to those used in the US.