CarlJoos

Big Science is Broken

What is quite nightmarish is when someone cleans their data in Excel (or any other typical spreadsheet app) and takes no steps to document the process!

CLEANS THEIR DATA!!! See, science is all a scam!

Bee prepared for that quote to be used by some denier in your field to argue that all your data is cooked, and you're so brazen about it that you post the evidence on-line.

- Dan G

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Thank you for the question. This discussion has made me realize I should ask collaborators to send me a copy of their raw data as well as the finished figures/tables so I can have a copy of everything in one place.

Don

DanG

What is quite nightmarish is when someone cleans their data in Excel (or any other typical spreadsheet app) and takes no steps to document the process!

CLEANS THEIR DATA!!! See, science is all a scam!

Bee prepared for that quote to be used by some denier in your field to argue that all your data is cooked, and you're so brazen about it that you post the evidence on-line.

There's a huge gap between that sensationalist reactionary sentiment and the Ivory Tower "Science is pure, perfect, and the answer to everything" sentiment. I think the biggest issue here is extreme polarizing and reactionary defensiveness here, preventing any critical thinking from taking place.

In summary, getting back to the OP, the posted article is close to the "science is a scam!" alarmism, but at least the First Things article points out problems that can be resolved.

Thanks, GeorgiaDon for a nice measured reply.

There's a huge gap between that sensationalist reactionary sentiment and the Ivory Tower

FYI, Anyone who uses that term demonstrates that they don't have a clue how things work.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

DanG

FYI, Anyone who uses that term demonstrates that they don't have a clue how things work.

Duh. Ivory would not be a suitable material for tower construction.

It would for a Jenga tower. And apparently those can be scaled up to represent full size towers because oh wait wrong topic.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?