aphid

No más

"The instructor looked like he just did a big bong rip".

I have three friends that diligently work the military program at the DZ in question. I'm sure they wouldn't be thrilled to have this guys allegations thrown about so cavalierly...

source: http://www.businessinsider.com/navy-seal-explains-why-he-wont-skydive-as-civilian-brandon-webb-2016-2

aphid

"The instructor looked like he just did a big bong rip".

I have three friends that diligently work the military program at the DZ in question. I'm sure they wouldn't be thrilled to have this guys allegations thrown about so cavalierly...

source: http://www.businessinsider.com/navy-seal-explains-why-he-wont-skydive-as-civilian-brandon-webb-2016-2

Not that big of a surprise though? Drug use is rampant in skydiving.

Not that big of a surprise though? Drug use is rampant in skydiving.

I hope you're kidding. I've seen some of that, but far from rampant. And snuffed out ASAP as soon as found out. Large professional operations like that in the US do random testing. Saying "The instructor looked like he just did a big bong rip" is crap. It's an extremely subjective thing to say, and is the lowest kind of unsubstantiated garbage.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I understand what he is saying. When I was instructing, coaching, exhibition jumping, etc., I attempted to make the event as militarily structured as possible.

Some skydivers add a level of caution for the sport parachutists to observe and incorporate. I always described myself as a sport parachutist.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I understand what he is saying. When I was instructing, coaching, exhibition jumping, etc., I attempted to make the event as militarily structured as possible.

Some skydivers add a level of caution for the sport parachutists to observe and incorporate. I always described myself as a sport parachutist.

Agreed. There is no doubt that the military conduct their operations with more discipline. It's unfortunate that he spoke as he did on camera.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I hope you're kidding. I've seen some of that, but far from rampant.

No not kidding. I am not going into detail on a public forum, but instructors being stoned is not a big surprise to me.

Out of all the activities I have been involved in throughout my life, skydiving has had, by far, the highest involvement in drugs.

aphid

***That guy was a SEAL??

http://pilotonline.com/news/military/local/former-seal-brandon-webb-accused-of-embellishing-combat-stories-and/article_a5ddc6aa-c931-5af8-835e-2364454e40a1.html

Ah.... So it turns out that he is a self aggrandizing attention seeker. Now it makes sense.

SkyDekker

No not kidding. I am not going into detail on a public forum, but instructors being stoned is not a big surprise to me.

Out of all the activities I have been involved in throughout my life, skydiving has had, by far, the highest involvement in drugs.

Is it fair to assume that you have outed these instructors? I certainly hope so.

It comes down to being a part of a solution instead of remaining a part of the problem.

From my experience, there is/was a shitload more drug use in downhill skiing and football (not the steroids).

GD64

*********That guy was a SEAL??

http://pilotonline.com/news/military/local/former-seal-brandon-webb-accused-of-embellishing-combat-stories-and/article_a5ddc6aa-c931-5af8-835e-2364454e40a1.html

Ah.... So it turns out that he is a self aggrandizing attention seeker. Now it makes sense.

A friend of John Kerry?

12 posts and it turns to political pot-shots.[:/]

SkyDekker

There was more in the past. In the present era of commercial DZs advertising to the general public and treating tandems like carnival rides, professional DZs no longer tolerate drug use. Especially in staff. If you are at a DZ that does, it is an outlier.

I saw a TON more drug abuse in the Navy than I've seen in skydiving.
Including alcohol. To me I see no difference in weed and alcohol though I would prefer a stoner over a drunk.
Dog runs through the barracks always scared me - two roommates were major dealers on base. Apparently dogs can't smell LSD, though I rarely saw them make it past the lobby area due to people dumping drugs once word came that the dogs were coming (we always had advance notice too).
:S

gowlerk

There was more in the past. In the present era of commercial DZs advertising to the general public and treating tandems like carnival rides, professional DZs no longer tolerate drug use. Especially in staff. If you are at a DZ that does, it is an outlier.

This is my experience. I've been jumping since 1987.

If an instructor is hung over, or high, or SMELLS like morning cigarettebutts/coffee/halitosis......they usually get benched for the day. If one was seen to be smashed or excessively high the night before - they will be benched.

we need to be professional - we don't have to be the All American Poster Boy - but clean, teeth brushed, no tobacco breath, no B.O. or bad breath, etc etc etc - and awake and attentive, and focused on the students, not our own gratification.

I recall making the comment during the AFF evals while playing the role of student - the post brief I brought up both BO, and smoker's breath in addition to the 'usual' observations and helps - I expected an angry response, was thrilled to see very positive reception from the candidate. he's a great instructor today and really does think about the customer experience.

it's not that difficult

Edit: anyway, I think any claims that an instructor is 'bonged' out is super serious and has to be taken seriously. It's not the 70's in skydiving any more.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

SkyDekker

To me I see no difference in weed and alcohol

I do.

You can have a beer, or a glass of wine socially and not be impaired. Can't really smoke a joint and not get impaired.

I do too.

You can take a hit socially and not be impaired, but you can't really drink a bottle of wine and not get impaired.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You can take a hit socially and not be impaired

Are there people who partake in smoking weed just for the taste and try not to get impaired?

My understanding is that the high is the purpose of weed, with descriptions of variants based on the differing highs, not differing tastes. Haven't seen too many wine reviews and descriptions based on the kind of high/impairment it produces.

SkyDekker

Are there people who partake in smoking weed just for the taste and try not to get impaired?

I'm sure there's a ton of people out there that think stinking like that is just like a fine body spray or cologne. I'm sure everybody around them just adores how their jackets smell.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Dunno, but there are more than two reasons for doing either.

Haven't seen too many wine reviews and descriptions based on the kind of high/impairment it produces.

And that alters the chemical effect on the brain, does it? Alcohol doesn't give a fuck why you're drinking it, it does what it does regardless.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

normiss

I'm fairly sure some cancer sufferers would disagree with that perspective.

Why? They are taking the substance specifically for the way their body reacts to it. Which, again, is the only reason I know why people use the substance. Which is how it is different from alcohol.