Rstanley0312

The universe....

at this point, we really do not know if there is any life out there or not. as lurch put it in his rather long and informative post earlier, if there is a way to determine the likelihood of life existing, then it seems to me that they are just an arbitrary number someone chooses to make the math work. there are just too many unknowns for us to determine the formation of life. i like to think that based on the sheer number of stars that there has to be at least one planet with life on it, but that's all it is; a belief. so, asking for math to support either position is entirely speculative, as there is presently no way to make a determination of the accuracy of the information.

i may have missed something here, but if so, i am sure someone will correct me soon.

sfzombie13

at this point, we really do not know if there is any life out there or not. as lurch put it in his rather long and informative post earlier, if there is a way to determine the likelihood of life existing, then it seems to me that they are just an arbitrary number someone chooses to make the math work. there are just too many unknowns for us to determine the formation of life. i like to think that based on the sheer number of stars that there has to be at least one planet with life on it, but that's all it is; a belief. so, asking for math to support either position is entirely speculative, as there is presently no way to make a determination of the accuracy of the information.

i may have missed something here, but if so, i am sure someone will correct me soon.

I'm not disagreeing . . . and to paraphrase a movie I watched a couple of times, 'It would be a very big waste of space'

I was just being argumentative.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I asked for work that shows different, do you have any?

No. It's too complicated. We aren't even close to fully understanding what governs planet formation. We're only in the earliest stages of finding out what proportion of sun-like stars have solar system-like solar systems. We just don't know, and certainly with nothing like the incredible accuracy that he's claiming.

If you want to be argumentative, you need to find a reason to support his argument. Again, that's how logic works.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Tink1717

Believe in God or not... this is a good read.

http://www.wsj.com/...e-for-god-1419544568

No, it's NOT a good read, it patronizing bullshit. It's trying to make the case that bronze age people in the Judean desert knew more about the way things work than we do now.

...and in thousands of years they will laugh at our view of how things work...

The only thing that wont change is the nature of man...we are the same same idiotic power hungry perverted hedonists of the dawn...not much has changed with regard to that....if we all actually studied scripture (Flesh vs. Spirit), perhaps we could put an end to it and stop repeating history....

but NOOOOO..."that bible is outdated!" "It's stupid...full of words we don't understand!"

Just keep reading....keep reading...You'll understand if you want to...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

Believe in God or not... this is a good read.

http://www.wsj.com/...e-for-god-1419544568

No, it's NOT a good read, it patronizing bullshit. It's trying to make the case that bronze age people in the Judean desert knew more about the way things work than we do now.

The only thing that wont change is the nature of man...we are the same same idiotic power hungry perverted hedonists of the dawn...not much has changed with regard to that....if we all actually studied scripture (Flesh vs. Spirit), perhaps we could put an end to it and stop repeating history....

but NOOOOO..."that bible is outdated!" "It's stupid...full of words we don't understand!"

Just keep reading....keep reading...You'll understand if you want to...

B| great post.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I'm quite sure that 1,000 years from now "they" will not have returned to the idea that stars are painted on the inside of a globe, or that the Earth is flat and the center of the universe, or that fully formed little babies are scrunched up inside of sperm, or any of the other notions of "how things work" that prevailed in "biblical times". Biblical thought completely dominated European society for over 1,500 years and produced no useful insights into medicine, physics, chemistry, biology, geology, or any other field of study of "how things work". All of our advances that have resulted in modern medicine and technology came about as a result of the Enlightenment and adoption of the scientific method, and that was resisted tooth and nail by the advocates of the Bible as the font and sole repository of all knowledge.

..we are the same same idiotic power hungry perverted hedonists of the dawn...

And yet, according to the Bible, we are the crowning pinnacle of God's creation. Don't you think He could have perhaps done a bit better, being all-knowing and all-powerful?

...if we all actually studied scripture (Flesh vs. Spirit), perhaps we could put an end to it and stop repeating history....

Stop repeating what history? Scripture has inspired an incredible amount of hatred and war over the millennia. Of course if we were to become a society that rejects any thought that is inconsistent with what is written in the Bible, and all think and look the same down to proscriptions on diet and clothing and hair styles, we might attain a sort of "peace". Somewhat like what the Taliban or ISIS wish to impose on their societies, but centered on Jesus instead of Mohammed.

Don

GeorgiaDon

I'm quite sure that 1,000 years from now "they" will not have returned to the idea that stars are painted on the inside of a globe, or that the Earth is flat and the center of the universe, or that fully formed little babies are scrunched up inside of sperm, or any of the other notions of "how things work" that prevailed in "biblical times". Biblical thought completely dominated European society for over 1,500 years and produced no useful insights into medicine, physics, chemistry, biology, geology, or any other field of study of "how things work". All of our advances that have resulted in modern medicine and technology came about as a result of the Enlightenment and adoption of the scientific method, and that was resisted tooth and nail by the advocates of the Bible as the font and sole repository of all knowledge.

..we are the same same idiotic power hungry perverted hedonists of the dawn...

And yet, according to the Bible, we are the crowning pinnacle of God's creation. Don't you think He could have perhaps done a bit better, being all-knowing and all-powerful?

...if we all actually studied scripture (Flesh vs. Spirit), perhaps we could put an end to it and stop repeating history....

Stop repeating what history? Scripture has inspired an incredible amount of hatred and war over the millennia. Of course if we were to become a society that rejects any thought that is inconsistent with what is written in the Bible, and all think and look the same down to proscriptions on diet and clothing and hair styles, we might attain a sort of "peace". Somewhat like what the Taliban or ISIS wish to impose on their societies, but centered on Jesus instead of Mohammed.

Don

Ya... men/women of faith and Christianity had nothing to do with scientific advances at all. These people obviously fought the scientific method tooth and nail..... :S

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com