RonD1120

Christians and Ebola

RonD1120

Here is a good rule of thumb. If I am writing about my Lord, the Bible, or substance use disorder I am serious. Any other topic is a toss up. When I am asked I will respond honestly.

All my life I have taken great pleasure in saying or doing the unexpected. At 72 my main avenues for expression are the internet and my church. You should see the looks I get sometimes with those folks. I encourage holy boldness with my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I am becoming involved with some military veteran groups up here. Generally, for me anyways, I have found that military vets in recovery are the most amiable to off the wall humor and/or behavior. This is especially true if they ride motorcycles and like guns.

Back in the day, sport parachutists used fit in this group. Sadly, this is not the case any longer. They have become too temperamental.

Have a great day.;)

Not disagreeing or agreeing,

. . . just asking about faith healers in the realm of ebola . . . your thoughts?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My thoughts.... If you think you have contracted Ebola or any disease, seek qualified medical care.

I've seen positive results when a righteous believers pray for the ill. However, I shy away from those who hold themselves up as faith healers.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

tkhayes

my example is one of possibly tens of thousands of simple scientific statements that would be given as fact that never change.

I chose 2+2=4. Just because you disagree with that one particular example does not in any way demise the basis of the argument I made.

My argument stands, and you know EXACTLY what I meant by it and you chose to nit-pick basically.

religion has millions of interpretations. There are no such interpretations when it comes to 2+2....

I was agreeing with kelpdiver's critique of your weak description of what science is and tossing out a little playful ribbing for fun (with the intro to my post being "while we're at it..." I thought that was more obvious than apparently it was.)

Did you ask why I didn't think 2+2=4 was science? No, you threw a dictionary definition of mathematics at me that had the word science in it and then you folded your arms and leaned back in your chair. This is exactly why I was picking on you, because I think you're doing a crap job of singing science's praises. Science is not about marveling over a body of knowledge that exists at some snapshot in time or citing a book to shut people up, that's religion's job.

And while I'm at it...

What the hell is, "does not in any way demise the basis of the argument" supposed to mean? If you're going to be wordy, spend more time in that dictionary.

my 'weak description of science' does not in any way determine whether or not science is valid, nor does it determine whether or not mathematics is a science.

You cannot say that since I do not adequately explain science and math that science and math are not the same, not obviously so intertwined that one cannot exist without the other, nor can you say that my original arguments are not valid.

It's like arguing that because I cannot explain the molecular structure of water at an atomic level that water therefore does not exist.

You stated that Mathematics is not a science. I found evidence to the contrary. You posted no such rebuttal other than your own opinion that mathematics is not a science, without any reference to support that claim.

At least I used a reference.

done with the nitpicking.

Back to the original original original point.

If god created ebola, then he's a dick. I refuse to worship 'him'. And I fail to understand why people see anything in such 'worship' other than their own feeling of self-righteousness, which could also be achieved by any other number of things, like meditation or simply taking a walk in the woods.

No one in the history of the world has successfully 'prayed away' disease.

tkhayes

You stated that Mathematics is not a science. I found evidence to the contrary. You posted no such rebuttal other than your own opinion that mathematics is not a science, without any reference to support that claim.

At least I used a reference.

done with the nitpicking.

Not so fast.

He stated that 2+2=4 isn't science. Not that mathematics is not a science. That's what we call a straw man.

As I already said, picking a statement that is defined by the number system is no more meaningful than a stating that the klingon word for two is cha'.

As I already said, picking a statement that is defined by the number system is no more meaningful than a stating that the klingon word for two is cha'.

I find it ridiculous that Terrans presume that the entire Klingon home world has only one active language.

If god created ebola, then he's a dick. I refuse to worship 'him'. And I fail to understand why people see anything in such 'worship' other than their own feeling of self-righteousness, which could also be achieved by any other number of things, like meditation or simply taking a walk in the woods.

How does finding yourself in a reality other than one you might have chosen any justification for your anger and rejection? Does that mean if you don't like quantum physics you can reject science?

maadmax

How does finding yourself in a reality other than one you might have chosen any justification for your anger and rejection? Does that mean if you don't like quantum physics you can reject science?

I think people who reject science should forgo all the inventions that have been enabled by science. Put your lifestyle where your beliefs are and live like the Amish.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Andy9o8

I find it ridiculous that Terrans presume that the entire Klingon home world has only one active language.

It's not ridiculous at all to presume that. You see the Klingon home world never built a tower of Babel. And therefore the Christian God wasn't there to create all the different languages.

9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
—Genesis 11:4–9

Come on, don't you read your history book? All the answers are right there.