wayneflorida

Providing futile treatment prevents other patients from receiving the critical care they need

wayneflorida

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140820091054.htm

From article:
"Huynh said that going forward, the research team hopes to develop interventions to decrease instances of hospitals providing critical care to patients for whom there will be no benefit."

"the research team" sounds a lot better than death panel.

I believe it's called triage.

You come upon a car crash and notice three people who are, without immediate intervention, fatally injured. One is very close to death and will certainly die regardless of what you do. Help him and you will have wasted effort and the other two die as well.

Are you a "death panel" or simply doing the best for all?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

wayneflorida

The context around death panels has generally focused on cost benefit decisions for terminally ill, which is really different from triage work in the ER. One happens in slow motion and is about avoiding tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in care to prolong the agony for the dying. The other is about not allowing those who could survive to die because capacity was spent on the futile.

I think it's a lot harder to be part of that second group, making quick life and death decisions on potentially incomplete data. Hopefully the misuse of the ER will decline, reducing the frequency where space is a problem.

wayneflorida

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140820091054.htm

From article:
"Huynh said that going forward, the research team hopes to develop interventions to decrease instances of hospitals providing critical care to patients for whom there will be no benefit."

"Death panels" already exist and have done for years. They are the medical directors of private insurance companies. My wife is just such a medical director.

She was saying just yesterday that more research needs to be done to make the decision making process more consistent from one company to another.

SO it seems ACA is doing a good job in this regard.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

turtlespeed

*** My wife is just such a medical director.

That's telling . . .

Yes, it tells that Palin's "death panels" have nothing whatsoever to do with the ACA.

Another interesting FACT is that the private insurers have a higher rate of claim denials than do government programs like Medicare.

GOP's scare tactics are, as usual, based on disinformation and lies.

kallend

****** My wife is just such a medical director.

That's telling . . .

Yes, it tells that Palin's "death panels" have nothing whatsoever to do with the ACA.

Another interesting FACT is that the private insurers have a higher rate of claim denials than do government programs like Medicare.

So the death panels won't exist then?

Or is it that she brought attention to it, it was in a bad light for your side, and you just can't help throwing a temper tantrum about it?

Don't answer . . . we already know - it was a rhetorical question.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

********* My wife is just such a medical director.

That's telling . . .

Or is it that she brought attention to it, it was in a bad light for your side, and you just can't help throwing a temper tantrum about it?

Don't answer . . . we already know - it was a rhetorical question.:)
So which one is it?

"Liberals want to ration health care, and therefore use "death panels" to save money by denying certain types of costly care to the elderly and the very sick."

"Liberals are never financially responsible, they'll continue to spend money on anything without regard to the long term impact of that spending."

turtlespeed

********* My wife is just such a medical director.

That's telling . . .

All the time private insurers exist there will be "death panels". Their existence has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ACA.

kallend

************ My wife is just such a medical director.

That's telling . . .

All the time private insurers exist there will be "death panels". Their existence has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ACA.

So . . you are saying that with single payer government health care . . . there will be no such decision making committees, right?

Or do we have to vote for it to see what's in it?:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

*************** My wife is just such a medical director.

That's telling . . .

So . . you are saying that with single payer government health care . . . there will be no such decision making committees, right?

:|

You have a serious reading comprehension problem if you think that's what I wrote.

>So death panels or committees will exist regardless then, right?

Probably to a lesser degree than they exist now.