lawrocket

9th Circuit Chief Justice Comments on Capital Punishment

Alex Kozinski. Love the guy because he doesn't parse words.

[Url]cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2014/07/21/14-16310.pdf[/url]

Starting on page 2. Kozinsky argues that captial punishment is a barbaric act and that we should knock off the pretense of being humane. Time to make the death penalty uncomfortable.

[Quote]Sure, firing squads can be messy,n but if we are willing to carry out executions, we should not shield ourselves from the reality that we are shedding human blood. If we, as a society, cannot stomach the splatter from an execution carried out by firing squad, then we shouldn't be carrying out executions at all.

I am not philosophically opposed to capital punishment. Neither, I believe, is Kozinski. But I think he nails this. Maybe not his business writing a political discourse, but I think he said what needs to be said.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

Alex Kozinski. Love the guy because he doesn't parse words.

Starting on page 2. Kozinsky argues that captial punishment is a barbaric act and that we should knock off the pretense of being humane. Time to make the death penalty uncomfortable.

[Quote]Sure, firing squads can be messy,n but if we are willing to carry out executions, we should not shield ourselves from the reality that we are shedding human blood. If we, as a society, cannot stomach the splatter from an execution carried out by firing squad, then we shouldn't be carrying out executions at all.

I am not philosophically opposed to capital punishment. Neither, I believe, is Kozinski. But I think he nails this. Maybe not his business writing a political discourse, but I think he said what needs to be said.

What do you expect from someone on the 9th?:P

This country hasn't had the stomach for the reality of capital punishment for over a hundred years. It's hard to believe they thought the chair was more humane than the gallows or the firing squad. It's not going to change now. I would even carry it further and say that all executions should be made available for public viewing, at least televise them. If we are going to execute in the name of the state, the state should be able to see the end result of the process.

From what I've read, executions are very had on prison staff, they say you never execute the same man who committed the crime, especially when it's ten years later. I think the needle is used more for the benefit of the staff, than the benefit of the condemned.

It's hard to believe they thought the chair was more humane than the gallows or the firing squad.

Well, that's Edison for you. A gigantic dick promoting death in an effort to monopolize electrical distribution. Fascinating story really, but it does point out what a giant asshole he was.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

jclalor

From what I've read, executions are very had on prison staff, they say you never execute the same man who committed the crime, especially when it's ten years later.

Not sure if it's still done or done elsewhere, but when I worked for corrections in Virginia, death row was at one prison and the executions performed at another, with a transfer just prior, for this very reason.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

jclalor

***Alex Kozinski. Love the guy because he doesn't parse words.

This country hasn't had the stomach for the reality of capital punishment for over a hundred years. It's hard to believe they thought the chair was more humane than the gallows or the firing squad. It's not going to change now. I would even carry it further and say that all executions should be made available for public viewing, at least televise them. If we are going to execute in the name of the state, the state should be able to see the end result of the process.

From what I've read, executions are very had on prison staff, they say you never execute the same man who committed the crime, especially when it's ten years later. I think the needle is used more for the benefit of the staff, than the benefit of the condemned.

I'll have a large popcorn and a diet coke, please.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

******Alex Kozinski. Love the guy because he doesn't parse words.

I'll have a large popcorn and a diet coke, please.

Better to sneak the refreshments in, why pay those crazy arena prices?

What troubles me is (just a guess on my part based on current trends) it's likely this perp has gotten more attention and coverage by the propagandists media spewing ruling cabal agenda's, than the deceased victim/s and their family.
That is just upside down wrong.

The point you're all missing here; time to make the thought of the death penalty more real for the perp. One of the reasons I don't favor the death penalty is it has lost (not sure it ever had) the deterrent factor it purports to possess. That and the fact that the governments of these states haven't displayed anywhere near the competence we are entrusting them with.

Just put them in jail for life with no possibility for parole and be done with it. For most that would be a fate worse than death.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

That's why a judge has found capital punishment unconstitutional in California - because it isn't being used and thus serves no purpose.

I don't understand why they need a multiple drug cocktail when 1000 mg (or even 500 mg) or morphine would kill them quickly. Start the person off with a hefty Xanax and it'll not only be quicker but will the condemned won't be too worried about it.

When the states can't seem to do to others on purpose what Peaches Geldoff did to herself quite easily, it raises concerns.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

That's why a judge has found capital punishment unconstitutional in California - because it isn't being used and thus serves no purpose.

I don't understand why they need a multiple drug cocktail when 1000 mg (or even 500 mg) or morphine would kill them quickly. Start the person off with a hefty Xanax and it'll not only be quicker but will the condemned won't be too worried about it.

When the states can't seem to do to others on purpose what Peaches Geldoff did to herself quite easily, it raises concerns.

There's no shortage of drugs that will kill a person very quickly, there's other factors.

From what I understand, drug companies would be very Leary to have their drugs associated with executions, and will not supply any of these. Morphine can cause severe nausea, that could lead to aspiration and vomiting, which would not be very spectator friendly.

A loading dose of Alprazolam could also be viewed as just a little bit too much fun for the condemned.