promise5

What's everyone's opinion on convicted and registered sex offenders being TI's?

I guess because it's unknown for the most part.

If someone says there is 1 or 2 or 5 then is that such a low number to some that they say why bother.
As I've said I don't think that the sport is that desperate for TI's that it needs a rapist or someone that molested a child as representatives of the sport.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

If someone says there is 1 or 2 or 5 then is that suck a low number to some that they say why bother.
As I've said I don't think that the sport is that desperate for TI's that it needs a rapist or someone that molested a child as representatives of the sport.

I don't think so either. It is hard to justify a process (which is going to have some cost associated with it, all processes do) to fix a problem when you can't define the size of the problem.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I'm sure the attorneys on here could answer this a lot better then I could.

I'll take a guess though. I would assume that if someone is legally working in the US from another country that would need some kind if sponsor or permit to work. I would think I background check would be performed prior to issuing this. I know when I drove through Canada if you were convicted of I'm not sure what level of crime they wouldn't let you into the country. Maybe that's just a border thing. I don't know.

I would also think that anyone would just assume someone us guilty if something just to be sure. That's a sad way to live a life.
Also, DZ's are that desperate for TI's that they would need to hire someone from another country that has been convicted of rape or child molestation??
If that's the case holy crap!! I think them maybe some fund raising etc. is in order so that people can be sponsored to get their TI certification that might not be able to afford it. So that DZ don't have to look outside the US for TI's that have been convicted of rape or child molestation.
Believe me I tried.

As several in here have pointed out, it's probably a good and diligent business practice for DZOs to run criminal background checks on anyone they hire as an employee or "contractor", just as many other business owners do.

That being said, I still have to wonder: are you fixing ("addressing", "discussing", whatever) a problem that actually exists in reality, or just a hypothetical one that you thunk up?

promise5

I would like to open further discussion.
Opinions on: A carefully constructed letter being sent to DZO's making them aware of and asking if they would be open to checking their TI's etc. for registers sex offenders and then making the decision to hire them or not.
Thoughts ??
Though this still needs to go before the USPA. Well that's my opinion anyway.

Sure, send a letter to DZO's.
Take it before the USPA.
There doesn't seem to be much more to discuss on here.

promise5

It's free to run a check from there you can see what the person is convicted of. It just takes a little work, a very little.
Less then 10 minutes.

That's a cost. You may not think it is much of a cost but it is a real cost. A cost to solve a problem that has no evidence that it is a problem.

There is none ?
You have done the research to prove there isn't.
Like I stated earlier I deal in reality. When I had this discussion with my friend/friends to begin with there already was a reality in place. I'm sorry but even though a few are close friends of mine I still didn't take their word. I did my own homework, as I would hope anyone would do.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

There is none ?
You have done the research to prove there isn't.
Like I stated earlier I deal in reality. When I had this discussion with my friend/friends to begin with there already was a reality in place. I'm sorry but even though a few are close friends of mine I still didn't take their word. I did my own homework, as I would hope anyone would do.

Well when I asked how many were TIs (just a few responses ago) you said

So, there is no quantity. Except I guess you know of one. I would start there--eliminate the known problem.

You are asking for an investment of time for a problem you can't quantify.

I'm not unsympathetic to what you are trying to do. It just appears to me that you are long on good intentions and short on facts.

Short of facts? No I have not gone through the list of every TI that currently is certified and them cross checked them to the registry. I have only researched the ones that were brought up in discussions.

So no I do not know exactly how many there are, but there is more then one sad to say. None of which were convicted of peeing in public,streaking or 18 and having sex with their 16 year old girlfriend.

I've done research on this and not to be disrespectful to anyone but I'll ask. Has anyone else ?
Believe me I tried.

promise5

No I have not gone through the list of every TI that currently is certified and them cross checked them to the registry. I have only researched the ones that were brought up in discussions.

A better methodology might be to pick 10 DZs at random and look up their staff. Then you'd have an idea of whether this is a wide-spread threat or maybe something that just happened at one location. In any case, more data is probably not a bad idea and random sampling better still.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And what are you doing about the cases that you find, other than getting pissed off all over again? Contacting the DZO? Publicizing in some way? Notifying USPA? Locating alternative employment for the TI's so they don't end up on the bread line, or turning to crime because they lost their job?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Actually in all the cases being a TI is not their main source of employment so I doubt they would end up in a bread line. Publicly outing them in some way would only hurt the sport itself. Also,what purpose would it do to "out" them publicly. They should be able to skydive if they choose to. "outing" them accomplishes nothing. Carefully researching each case and then taking it to the DZO,USPA and presenting the facts.
I'll ask again is skydiving really that desperate for TI's that it needs Sex offenders to represent the sport to the public.
Pissed off?No
But disgusted by it? Yes,very much so.
Believe me I tried.

normiss

Could you try that first sentence again please?

I interpreted it like this:
Actually, in all the cases, being a TI is not their main source of employment, so I doubt they would end up in a bread line.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

normiss

I assumed the same, but wanted to be sure.
Mainly because that's not an accurate statement.

Well, that's the King James Version.

I'm sure the NASB is much more accurate...:P
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

To those that say the registry doesn't work and shouldn't be used. Then for goodness sake DO SOMETHING about it.

It's not a battle I choose to fight. But at least I'm writing a letter to my representatives asking how the problems that were presented can be fixed. Yes I know it will probably get a generic " thank you and I'll look into it" response. But at least I did something even though I have little interest in it.

If anyone feels that passionately about sex offenders being allowed to be TI's then advocate for them. Go to the USPA tell them there's a "witch hunt" going on and hoe unfair it is. Write DZO's and tell them to hire these people or to not trust back ground checks.
But do something!
Believe me I tried.

promise5

Short of facts? No I have not gone through the list of every TI that currently is certified and them cross checked them to the registry. I have only researched the ones that were brought up in discussions.

So no I do not know exactly how many there are, but there is more then one sad to say. None of which were convicted of peeing in public,streaking or 18 and having sex with their 16 year old girlfriend.

I've done research on this and not to be disrespectful to anyone but I'll ask. Has anyone else ?

Well, that's good. You should ask the DZOs currently employing those sex offenders to no longer employ them as TIs.